Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
prairie_goat,

I'm on board with 22" barreled rifles. And since I bought a short action rifle, I grown to love it. It sure is a whole lot easier to carry up & down mountains all damned day long.

3000 FPS out of a 22" rifle means freezer meat.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bobnob17
When I hunt pigs, the landowners want as many shot as possible.

For that reason - for me - the 5 in the mag of the 270 over the 3 of the 264 Mag, as well as the ability to recover quicker for a second and subsequent shots with the 270 because of less kick, is enough to say "go the 270".

That's because your doing it ALL Wrong !!! wink When I shoot pigs here at the Ranch, which is pretty much every day, I use my .264 Win Mag with 125 grain Partitions.

I just wait untill two big ole porkers line up, & get 2 pigs with one shot. The .264 WM shooting at nearly 3350 fps using that 125gr Partition, WILL Penatrate & Exit BOTH Hogs!

Thus saving on ammo & felt recoil per pig.... I rest my case. 264WM Rules! cool

BTW, had some fellas from "down-under" come in a couple of weeks ago to go hog hunting here in N. Texas.
GREAT Bunch of Fellas! I think I learned to cuss in Australian.... I taught 'um a few Tex-Mex cuss words, too. Adios, Mate & good hunting!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/11/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
270 is still gay. 264 is still cool and has a ballistic advantage. But, I'll admit that the factory loads for the .264 are on the gay side of things, as 140 grainers can and will do 3200 fps safely.

Now, whether the .264s advantage makes things deader at reasonably shortish range or if you're just afraid you'll "accidentally" cornhole your hunting buddy because he or you carry a .270 is your problem to decide.

So, if you want to keep the .264 because you like the ballistic advantage, you ought to reload for it. If you're content biting pillows, tickle fighting fairies, paint your rifle stocks with rainbows (Tom....), eat fruits and vegetables, forget what your canine teeth are for, use hand lotion, and shoot factory ammo, then by all means only you have to know it's a .270.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by exbiologist
270 is still gay. 264 is still cool and has a ballistic advantage. But, I'll admit that the factory loads for the .264 are on the gay side of things, as 140 grainers can and will do 3200 fps safely.

Now, whether the .264s advantage makes things deader at reasonably shortish range or if you're just afraid you'll "accidentally" cornhole your hunting buddy because he or you carry a .270 is your problem to decide.

So, if you want to keep the .264 because you like the ballistic advantage, you ought to reload for it. If you're content biting pillows, tickle fighting fairies, paint your rifle stocks with rainbows (Tom....), eat fruits and vegetables, forget what your canine teeth are for, use hand lotion, and shoot factory ammo, then by all means only you have to know it's a .270.

wink grin ........ I notice that only on here is the 270 "gay",the general allusions to sexual deviation among its legions of users seeming to be the only real way the gackers can explain the preponderance of popularity for the 270 vs their own pets,this resulting in literally metric tons of dead animals per annum,world wide, while the 264 and other rare jewels languish in the nether world of erratic and seasonal brass runs,scarce factory ammo, and relative obscurity... sick

Except,of course, among a tiny minority of internet gackers(likely about the same, percentage wise in the overall shooting/hunting population, as those practicing other forms of sexual conduct bear to the population as a whole).....secure in the delusion of having discovered the ultimate in terminal effectivness(meaning of course that everyone else is "stupid",especially 270 users wink.

Mention the 270 and 264 in the same breath among these worthies,and the poor 270 user is beset upon by an avalanche of hyroglyphics,charts, graphs,TKO formulas,wind comparisons,and geneological studies demonstrating his connections to an inferior gene pool.

Simultaneously,he is assaulted with pictures of rainbow painted stocks,mated to 26-28" barrels,SS only, (many weighing a paltry 9+ pounds) sandwiched between a scope the size of NY deli baloney,and a portable bench rest, built light for "rough country",all transported by a character (some, not all!) wearing a baseball hat backwards, and festooned with rangefinder,cell phone with direct links to online ballistic programs,and Kestral wind meter;filled with delusions of grandeur over the potential demise of harmless herbivores in the next zip code.(They will show you "pictures"!) cry grin

The weight is no problem of course....at the distances involved it isn't required that we get a very long way from the ol' pickup or ATV.They comingle in coveys,one to pull the trigger,several to gawk through the rangefinder and spot misses for the wind,artfully doped,and a last one with barratone voice to give the obligatory "Send It!" message.(Meantime, the game generally drops within 200 long paces)with about the sam finality as those plinked with the antideluvian 270..... shocked whistle.....which surises the 270 user,sort of...not at all. sleep

The poor, myopic 270 users, frown (generally more conservative)cast a skeptical and cocked eyebrow at the deviant behaviour(gay?) confronting them,and wander off,head shaking,concerning themselves more with sharp knives,packs and mules laden with meat,trophy rooms filled with horns and antlers,and a Grand Slam or two,a bunch of big 6x6's and more than a handful of 30"+ mule deer racks taken with a bantam weight 270,a 6X scope(7 pounds all up), and factory ammo,or handloads crafted around one proven bullet.

Pondering all this, I sometimes wonder....."Who is really gay?" eek cool grin

Last edited by BobinNH; 01/12/13.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by xverminator
I bet a SA based 7mm-08 burping 120's @3200fps via a 22" barrel really pisses you .270 guys off....grin!

I get more like 3000 fps out of a 22" 7mm-08. A 22" 270 will do 3000 with 140s.

Don't want to high jack the thread but, you need to get out more....(grin)! Try some Big Game or if you really want shocked, CFE223. Have seen 3300fps via a 22" barrel and a 120 with no pressure signs using it... 3200fps should be absolutely no problem for anyone....

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
"Pondering all this, I sometimes wonder....who is really gay?..... "BobinNH"

Could NOT have said it better. (your whole post)

We do KNOW the majority are 'straight'. smile

The minority are 'gay'. whistle

Hummm, in 41 yrs of hunting, I've known EXACTLY ONE guy to have a .264 WM
shocked wink

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You guys still going at it. Damn.... whistle
[Linked Image]

Last edited by bsa1917hunter; 01/12/13. Reason: had to get my popcorn

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The only problem I have with the 6.5s as a whole...........

is the .... (nevermind)

IF YOU WANT TO MAKE CONVERTS ??

You catch more flys with 'honey' than vinegar!!

Also, From 270W, why go 'down' (pun, if U see it) to .264 WM?

WHY NOT 7 RM or similar? There are MANY more bullet weights with EXCELLENT bc and sd.

There AIN'T no flies on the 270s bc's or sd's either.

Besides, there are SO MANY hunters that NEVER see a place to practice or hunt 400 yds or more.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Don't want to high jack the thread but, you need to get out more....(grin)! Try some Big Game or if you really want shocked, CFE223. Have seen 3300fps via a 22" barrel and a 120 with no pressure signs using it... 3200fps should be absolutely no problem for anyone....

X-VERMINATOR

X-VErminator: Not picking a fight here wink smile...and don't doubt that you saw it.....but I'm sorry...I simply do not believe "it" at permissable pressures. frown

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
I bet a SA based 7mm-08 burping 120's @3200fps via a 22" barrel really pisses you .270 guys off....grin!

I get more like 3000 fps out of a 22" 7mm-08. A 22" 270 will do 3000 with 140s.

X-VERMINATOR

I've tried Big Game, and made 3050 or so in a 22" and a 21" 7mm-08.
Ramshot load data shows Big Game able to hit 3062 fps with a 120 grain Barnes X. Pressure is 57850 psi, so it could probably be bumped up a bit, but the barrel length is 24" so that evens out.

Hodgdon's data for CFE 223 is impressive, hitting 3151 fps with a 120 Ballistic Tip. Barrel length is not listed for the online version, but they hit 3117 with Varget, so I suspect the barrel is pretty long.

3151 is a long way from 3300. That's 280 Ackley territory, and I'm sorry to say is not doable in a 22" 7mm-08 without some pretty high pressures.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by extremesolo
I currently have a model 70 XTR .264 and recently I have been considering buying a few standard calibers. Most of my rifles are not readily available at your local wal mart.

Originally Posted by Slavek
Sell that .264 to Northern Dave and buy something in caliber for which ammo is available at Walmart. Calibers like .270, .30-06 and 7mm Remington Magnum come to mind.

I don't know if either of you have noticed but there isn't much available on the shelves of Walmart besides dust...no matter what cartridge you are shopping for.

If anything, buying for the .264WM may be an advantage right now just because you may be more likely to actually find a supplier with some ammo for it in stock.

All that being said, I think there is a pretty good argument for you to learn to reload.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
Originally Posted by extremesolo
I currently have a model 70 XTR .264 and recently I have been considering buying a few standard calibers. Most of my rifles are not readily available at your local wal mart.

Originally Posted by Slavek
Sell that .264 to Northern Dave and buy something in caliber for which ammo is available at Walmart. Calibers like .270, .30-06 and 7mm Remington Magnum come to mind.

I don't know if either of you have noticed but there isn't much available on the shelves of Walmart besides dust...no matter what cartridge you are shopping for.

If anything, buying for the .264WM may be an advantage right now just because you may be more likely to actually find a supplier with some ammo for it in stock.

All that being said, I think there is a pretty good argument for you to learn to reload.

I saw a box of factory 264 wm at one of the last gunshows for $15.00 sick..I'm still kicking myself for not buying it, and I dont even own a 264!! blush

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I wouldn't consider a .264 WM if I wasn't a reloader. .270, hands down, for the non-reloader.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobinNH

X-VERMINATOR

X-VErminator: Not picking a fight here wink smile...and don't doubt that you saw it.....but I'm sorry...I simply do not believe "it" at permissable pressures. frown

'Though I'm without a strain gauge, I have been shooting 7mm-08 for about fifteen years. Been hand loading and reading pressure signs for 20+... All I can say is, if you haven't loaded CFE 223 in your 7mm-08 with 120's try it....... along with a little crow.......!

X-VERMINATOR

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think 3300fps for a 120g bullet would be at max pressure for a 270 Win 65k PSI. I can't see it being done in a 7-08 without well exceeding those pressures, even if the bore is slightly larger.

I can see the 280 Rem doing it and exceeding it though of course.

Anyone loading the 120 SST in the 270 Winchester? Would be interesting to see speeds and performance.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Xverm-what are you burning for a powder and charge to get 3300 out of a 120 in your 7/08?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by lotech
Having recently worked with two .264's (new Mod. 70, 26" and a Brown Precision-Sako action 24"), I'm disappointed in the cartridge after trying five bullets, four powders, and three primers. I quickly found that chamber / throat specs require most bullets must be seated quite deeply. Of course, this could be corrected with some custom gunsmithing. Old load data was much hotter than the current data I followed; as a result, muzzle velocities haven't been impressive. Model 70 accuracy was mediocre at best as it was tough to get groups under 1 1/4", though the Brown Precision did better. No doubt the .264's a hotter cartidge than the .270, but I doubt the degree of difference is of much significance for most any hunting situation.

In 2004 I found a Sako L61R 264 Win. Mag (4 digit serial#)with a 24 inch bbl. that was a thing of beauty, it looked almost new and other than the barrel in need of cleaning it was pristine.
Being a Sako junkie it followed me home (I was surprised how long it sat in the LGS), I tuned the trigger to 3.5# added a 6x42 Leupold and started out with factory Remington 140gr Core-lokts. Accuracy for three shots ran about an 1.25" @ 100 yds and when I ran them over my chrony 5 shots averaged 3008 fps; certainly passable.

In experimenting I discovered that early Sako 264's were short throated and most bullets needed to be seated deep, I tried H870, RL22, H4831, H1000 and IMR7828 powders and just couldn't get the speed I was hoping for (140 NPT @ 3100)without flattened primers. I ended up with an accurate 130gr Accubond load @ 3185 that was just fine for deer and pigs.

Just as a side note, if you'd like the fastest way to possibly lose your access take your 264 w/ 120gr BT's and shoot a couple of groundhogs on a smaller farm in CT....the land owner was of the opinion that was the loudest rifle he had ever heard. After that little stunt I used a 22 WMR and a 222 on that property.

In my limited results the 264 was just a loud 270 and you could get great 270 ammunition across the counter without all the fuss.

My L61R went down the road and I purchased an AV in 7mm Rem. Mag. from a member of the "fire" for the next experiment.

For the non-reloader out to 300 + yards get a 270 and don't look back.

YMMV Cheers

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Two grains over Hodgdons max...produced the 3300 for me. Like I said, zero visable pressure signs. Their published max of 49.5gr clocks 3200 in my rifle and is what I have settled on....

X-VERMINATOR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you limit shots to 3-350 yards, there isn't a nickel's worth of difference. From 350 and beyond, well that's a whole "nuther" story....

Last edited by scenarshooter; 01/12/13.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
XVerm-49.5 of which powder? Or did I miss it?

A bit cold here so I may of missed it...

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 65 invisible), 3,019 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,411
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.