-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In following the various civil discussions here on the 'fire that have taken place concerning chili over the years, I believe that the offending Lone Star recipe is a simple case of a printing error. I believe that ingredient #2 and ingredient #9 simply were turned around in their amounts and should read "2 pounds of chili powder" and "1 1/2 tablespoons stew beef, cubed", with the rest of the listed ingredients only there by mistake.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Ya got chili and ya got frijoles con carne.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by calikooknic
As far as Lone Star beer goes,,,,better than Strohs.

Smashing one thumb with a hammer is better than smashing both. Still don't want anything to do with smashing just one. grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by calikooknic
As far as Lone Star beer goes,,,,better than Strohs.

Smashing one thumb with a hammer is better than smashing both. Still don't want anything to do with smashing just one. grin

laugh
Haven't had either in a long time. But I am a Coors 'O' drinker, that and gin and tonic. Not much in the way of Texas beers here in CA. LOTS of Mexican, go figure.

Sean
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Life in a state without Shiner Bock would be a sad affair. That being said, I will finish this bottle of Beck's.

I love chili. I love beans. I guess there are worse combinations. I mean, if I hear that one of my kids or grandkids liked it that way I would still love them. Most likely.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So one of them coming out of the closet would be no problem then. grin

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Not so much of a problem. At least their food lifestyle choices would right-headed.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
According to the history books I read about "Chili", it was "born" in TEXAS along the cattle trails, NOT in Mexico.

And if you think about it, what grew WILD along those cattle trails that the trail cook could use to make Chili? It was a tough task, drivin' the chuck-wagons that couldn't possible carry enough food for those long weeks or months on-the-trail, so figuring out how to stretch the supplies and picking up & using what they could find along the trail for food was one of the cook's and cook's helper's biggest job 'cause they have to make at least 2 meals a day... for 10 or 20 or even 30 hungry drovers.

Well... wild onions and wild garlic grew along those trails as did those hot little wild peppers and, of course, the meat came from the beefs they were drivin' to market and the water came from the streams and watering holes.

So there ya have it... the ingredients that make up REAL Texas Red... wild onions, garlic and wild hot peppers together with cubed meat (because it was pretty tough), water and salt... and that, gentlemen, was what ingredients the trail cooks had to make that Texas "stew" called "Texas Red" and known to the rest of us as "Chili"... and if you don't spell it with a capital "C", you're not a true "Chili-head"!~!~!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To go back in time and try it that way, now that would be a great experiance!

No onions or garlic? What the hell are these people thinking.

Beans? I can hit it from both sides of the plate. They sure do make it more economical for a crowd!

Sean
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Well... wild onions and wild garlic grew along those trails as did those hot little wild peppers and, of course, the meat came from the beefs they were drivin' to market and the water came from the streams and watering holes.

K, where did the beans come from? Weren't they making chili?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by sse

K, where did the beans come from? Weren't they making chili?

Sorry, my friend... but REAL Texas Chili doesn't have beans or green sweet peppers or any of that other "stuff" in it... at least not the Chili the trail cooks made when Chili (aka "Texas Red") was first "invented"

That said, I make the "mid-western" style of Chili (Ohio)... and naturally, my Chili has beans in it... and I much prefer beans in it as do most mid-westerners.

I've made over 100 different recipes of "Chili"... including 10 of the Chili recipes that won the annual International Chili Cook-Off in that ghost town in Texas... and all of 'me were so HOT I couldn't eat 'em!!!

From the research I did on "Chili"... many, many years ago, the folks living along our east coast like chopped green sweet peppers (UGH!!!) in their chili along with beans.

But from what I've been told, a REAL Texan won't touch Chili with beans in it 'cause that ain't REAL Texas Red... or so they say. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pintos are generally served on the side, with tortillas.

All American

All the time
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

from the terlingua chili cook off. winners are required to share their recipe

Step 1
2 lbs. course ground beef (chili grind)
1 TBS Cooking Oil
1 TBS Granulated Onion

Add ingredients together and lightly brown meat

Step 2
Add:
1 Can (8 oz) Tomato Sauce
1 Can Beef Broth

Cook for 30 minutes

Step 3
Add:
1 TBS Light Chili Powder
2 TBS Dark Chili Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
� tsp Salt
� TBS Ground Cumin
� tsp Cayenne Pepper
� tsp Black Pepper
1 tsp Chicken Granules (or 1 cube)

Cook for 1 hour

Step 4:
Add:
1 TBS Light Chili Powder
1 TBS Dark Chili Powder
1 tsp Paprika
� TBS Ground Cumin

Add water if needed

Leave covered and simmer for 30 minute

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I dunno, but I asked a friend from Uvalde about her Chili recipe and it included Ranch Beans. It was also quit good.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We will just modify the thread title and say " Proper chili ain't got no beans in it..."

Beans in chili, my God man...thats like fishing for trout with worms... for the sake of decorum certain things just are not done...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
It is true, the word 'chili' has almost no specific universal meaning. If a Texan tells his neighbor he made chili for dinner, his neighbor knows exactly what he's talking about. If the Texan tells somebody across the country he made chili, that person may have scores of different things come to mind. Heck, I just saw a recipe for 'white chili', with chicken as the main ingredient...LOL

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wait, there's even vegan chili!! How can that be?!!!!!

All American

All the time
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by ingwe
We will just modify the thread title and say " Proper chili ain't got no beans in it..."

Beans in chili, my God man...thats like fishing for trout with worms... or putting ice in sippin' whiskey ... for the sake of decorum certain things just are not done...

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
thats like fishing for trout with worms... or putting ice in sippin' whiskey

have done 'em...

eh76 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
figures mathman wouldn't use garden hackle to catch trout laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,313 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,761
Posts18,515,189
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.