Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Great book for this crowd, however most of us can't read! Maybe they will come out with it on Books on Tape.

A lot of similarities and parables to the times we are going through.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1400388/posts

Grandpa's Wisdom:"Sunrise is God's time of the day, shortly thereafter all the [bleep]'s wake up"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gave it as Christmas gifts 4 years ago to my brother and both my nephews. Great book.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I have a first edition hardcover, and a second edition hardcover. I read most of it, but quit when the murder descriptions seemed to be offered for their own sake rather than in the service of the plot. Up till then, however, I really enjoyed the book. Loved the history of the development of tyranny in the US.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i read it last month. A friend sent me a copy via email in a .pdf file. It is quite good, and the gun stuff is right on the mark. Great history of gun laws and their stupidity in this country. Interesting enough the author was/is a financial consultant/stockbroker or was, in st. Louis, making me think he worked for the same firm that i did at one time. I have thought about contacting him on the book. It's really worth reading.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read it and gave my copy to Dave Petzal who read it and gave it to somebody else. It was/is essentially, a "how to" manual and I thought it was overwritten insofar as a life long gun owner is concerned but it explains much about guns to someone who is not very knowledgeable. I thought shooting clay pigeons with a .375 H&H was a little much. smile

The last time I looked a hard copy (which I had) was bringing a princely sum. Don't know if it still does or not.

It's a worthwhile book to own or to read.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have an original hardcover that has been read by several of my friends and I have read it twice. The first part is a GREAT history lesson on gun laws.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KSQUACKER
Great book for this crowd, however most of us can't read! Maybe they will come out with it on Books on Tape.

I read it probably fifteen years or so ago. It was okay. I thought the sex was pretty weird.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I read it probably fifteen years or so ago. It was okay. I thought the sex was pretty weird.
A lot about the book got weird after a while, which is why I put it down.

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Weird gratuitous sex and murder, no wonder I couldn't put it down. The book is 2005 copyright and hardback prices are crazy with it out of print $85-200, really. I just went to buy a copy which is what brought the topic to mind. Thanks to technology, free in pdf.

Grandpa's Wisdom:"Sunrise is God's time of the day, shortly thereafter all the [bleep]'s wake up"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I read it about 15 years ago and while I enjoyed it, I never got the urge to read it again as I do with many books that I enjoy. The sheer number of pages coupled with the way the story started getting a bit "weird" toward the end is probably what quells the urge for a repeat.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Weird gratuitous sex and murder, no wonder I couldn't put it down. The book is 2005 copyright and hardback prices are crazy with it out of print $85-200, really. I just went to buy a copy which is what brought the topic to mind. Thanks to technology, free in pdf.
If your book says 2005 it's a later edition. I read it years ago.

Edit: I just looked it up. Wicki says it was published in 1996. I read it after it came out so it was probably 1997. I was right about it being fifteen years ago.

I would recommend reading it if you could get a copy for like, around $15. The prices on the internet for that thing are way high.

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 01/14/13.
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I agree Bruinruin, no repeat on the 800 plus pages. The gun legislation history in the US was interesting to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It was recommended to me by a good friend . Amazon prices were way outta the budget though. Wife found the pdf and somehow got it loaded up on the kindle. Good thing she did , I'm not much of a reader , but I read it over a couple weeks.
Saw the hard cover book after reading it on the kindle and knew I wouldn't have ever tried reading something that size.

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Just looked, mine is copyright 1996.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by T LEE

Just looked, mine is copyright 1996.
Both of my hardcover editions are 1996, but one is later in the year than the other. You tell by whether the title is horizontal or vertical. The later of the two has some text altered due to a law suit, or court order. Can't remember the details, but some words of the text were required to be altered, thus the two editions of the same year.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 58 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,431
Posts18,489,256
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.