Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GoPokes Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Anyone shooting lead tipped bullets like Sierra spitzers or others with lead tips? Anyone experiencing leading at the spot where the bullets is being fed into the chamber? Son in law (a LEO) says not to shoot lead tipped bullets in my Windham.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The lead tips will sometimes deform from striking the feedramps, especailly if you are cycling the same round(s) over and over.

IMO, t's not so much a leading issue, more in line with trying to accuratly shoot a bullet with a deformed tip.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Shoot the soft points. Tests show that deformed tips have little effect on accuracy.

Leading of the ramps is not an issue. Prairie dog shooters don't use FMJ's and they go through a ton of cartridges a day. I use soft points in my 6.8 for deer.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I know more than a few IPSC shooters shooting bulk 55 soft points like bulk Rem/Win and they shoot more in a year than many LEO will in their lifetime.

No issues.

And as noted, for most purposes a deformed tip doesn't bother accuracy. Most folks don't realize how much they deform in a box magazine under recoil, and they bolt the next one in and shoot and have no problems.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Has anyone here found that, on average, cops give good advice about guns/shooting? In my experience, They speak with confidence on the topic, but are almost guaranteed to not know what they are talking about.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hey, don't factor Pat into this average.

But typically, most LEO folks are NOT gun folks. They only do the guns mostly because it goes with the job.

Thats not disrespecting them at all, simply how it is from what I"ve seen.

Luckily I"m rural, and that means a larger percentage of our LEO are gun folks... couple of our local officers and I compare I phone ballistics apps and such at Christmas parties and while at cleanup on fires when I have time and such... I have to be careful at fire calls, that I don't get caught doing ballistic yack with them when I should be rolling hoses up and such...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GoPokes
Anyone shooting lead tipped bullets like Sierra spitzers or others with lead tips? Anyone experiencing leading at the spot where the bullets is being fed into the chamber? Son in law (a LEO) says not to shoot lead tipped bullets in my Windham.

You from Wyoming?

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mdv1state
They speak with confidence on the topic, but are almost guaranteed to not know what they are talking about.

Yup. And with few exceptions, the guys who "know the most" shoot the worst. Most of the guys who shoot great don't know anything about guns, they just know how to hit. It's the opposite of what you'd expect.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
They speak with confidence on the topic, but are almost guaranteed to not know what they are talking about.

Sounds a lot like the internet...

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Anyone shooting lead tipped bullets like Sierra spitzers

In one of my AR's the bullet of choice is the Sierra 65gr spitzer boat tail..awesome

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Yup. And with few exceptions, the guys who "know the most" shoot the worst. Most of the guys who shoot great don't know anything about guns, they just know how to hit. It's the opposite of what you'd expect.

One of our local know it alls... the LEO used to qualify at my house at my home range..... pulls up one day on qualification day empties his 1911 mag and hits the mag release... only to find that its rusted in place. No chit.

G
GoPokes Offline OP
OP Offline
G
Yes I'm from Wyoming. In the Gillette area,formally from Shoshoni and around the state. My son in law the LEO is the local gunsmith for most of the law enforcement here. Thanks to all who answered my inquiry.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
a "gunsmith" and he doesn't know any better? WOW.

But then again sometimes some of the info fed to them by instructors is bad info from the get go.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those lead tipped bullets will ruin your AR15....I will PM you my address so you can ship them to me for proper disposal.

P.S. I will cover the shipping cost.

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
G
GoPokes Offline OP
OP Offline
G
It isn't about the accuracty of the lead tipped bullets. They have had a number of instances where after a lot of ammo has been sent down range the lead build up where the bullet tip enters, lead is building up and the "case" catches and doesn't want to let the round chamber. They then have to use the assist to finish chambering the round.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I stand by my previous post about prairie dog shooters and soft points. Then again, some people are just more diligent about cleaning their guns than are others.

I find it hard to believe that a PD trains their officers to hit the forward assist instead of ejecting the jammed round. Not sayin' he didn't tell you that, just sayin' what I find hard to believe.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It isn't about the accuracty of the lead tipped bullets. They have had a number of instances where after a lot of ammo has been sent down range the lead build up where the bullet tip enters, lead is building up and the "case" catches and doesn't want to let the round chamber. They then have to use the assist to finish chambering the round.

I am sure that I am wrong on this but looking at the pic below the feed ramps stop right at the end of the locking lugs. The chamber is actually a tad bit after the locking lugs so I really don't see how any lead on the feed ramps would effect the chamber.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Oklahoma; 01/19/13.

whistle grin wink cool crazy shocked blush tired sleep

Wipe your mouth, there's still a tiny bit of bullshit around your lips.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There's a few reasons why a round might not chamber. But this ain't one of them. The way it's being described isn't technically possible.

I'm an LEO. There are a great many officers who don't know what they're talking about. They're regurgitating what they've been taught. And they've been taught wrong.

There's also a great many agencies who buy weapons based on budgets and BS info. A lot of out of spec weapons in rifle racks with malfunctions being blamed on bad ammo.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
eject rounds, don't FA them... at least I never would in a situation... train like you fight...

if you build up enough lead to be an issue then I"d worry about carbon rings and not having cleaned the barrel too.

But knowing an AR barrel can go 5000 rounds or so without cleaning too, I just don't see that the bullet can create an issue close enough to the chamber to create an issue.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've been trying to run some 70 grn Speers in my AR and they just won't feed well. . . They get hung up as they contact the feed ramps and get all buggered up. . .

So not the specific problem you asked about, but another related one. . .

"That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12savage, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 117LBS, 68 invisible), 3,007 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,642
Posts18,512,316
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.