Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Bighorn
45 cal. Ball ammo makes .45 in. Dia. Holes in things-

As a matter of fact - no.

It makes a smaller diameter hole. The tissue expands and contracts.

A little bit larger hole, if SWC or FP configuration.

But I agree, that if I were forced to use FMJ, SWC, and 45 > 9 mm is the way to go.

Hermann

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
...How would you guys feel about carrying ball .45 for defense?

Not as good as I would feel with cast SWC, and certainly not as good as HP - but if it's all I had, I would carry it with no reservations.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The U.S. Army undertook a study in the mid/late 1970s on the effectiveness of military ball ammo in .45 cal... The results were circulated widely amongst military police and, I believe, published in the Army Times.

To paraphrase the results, as i recall them, in most instances those shot once with .45 acp ball were not immediately incapacitated unless major skeletal damage was done.
The recommendation was to make multiple hits, if the pistol was to be relied on.
Good advice with any pistol ammo...

I have shot a few critters with the .45acp, and yes, a good expanding round makes a lot of difference...
I would hesitate though, to call .45 hardball ineffective. The very nature and history of the cartridge breeds confidence in those who shoot it well...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I trust ball to function better in a semi and I do like function.
If you do your part the ball will do its part.
Simplicity is a good thing.
Blessings

TEXAS, by GOD
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Experience in street shootings has shown that multiple hits do little more to end the confrontation unless major bones are hit or one makes a CNS hit. This is especially true with drugged up suspects. Which they often are.
The other problem with hardball is is glances off almost anything solid. Hollow point ammo, especially the lighter stuff, usually breaks up. E

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I have a pretty good stock of 230 gr. ball ammo for my SIG 220. I was talking to a friend about the ammo shortage right now and what would happen if good HP's couldn't be found for awhile. I told him I would be fine with carrying ball ammo if it came to that. He seemed pretty skeptical. I dunno, the .45 has a pretty solid reputation built on decades of nothing but FMJ, but maybe I'm off base. How would you guys feel about carrying ball .45 for defense?

While I carry the 185 gr Barnes XPB's in my 45 for carry, I have shot a couple of hogs and two small WT buck with the 230 gr FMJ-FP bullets made by Nosler and Hornady.

The penetration and wound channel studies on field dressing the game leave me NO doubt on the effectiveness of the FMJ-FP's for defense, I would be very comfortable carrying them, another plus is that the FMJ and FMJ-FP's feed better than any other bullet design in a lot of pistols.

I also have some 45 Supers loaded up with the FMJ-FP's at 1250 fps, a very formidable load with eleven rounds on tap in my 5" Springfield.

Gunner

Trump Won!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
COL Cooper liked truncated cone FMJ bullets for the 45. He thought they were a good compromise between stopping power and reliable feeding.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wished Hornady would re-introduce that bullet.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4 TAK, thats good to know. smile

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 41magfan
I wished Hornady would re-introduce that bullet.

Nosler still makes it, just bought 1K of them a couple months ago.

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Hornady bullet I'm referring to looked nothing like anything I've seen out there currently. I think they referred to it as TMJ Truncated Cone or JTC (Jacketed Truncated Cone)... it had a sharp shoulder like an H&G SWC.

Last edited by 41magfan; 01/15/13.

NRA Endowment Member
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
10-4

Gunner

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by FreeMe
...How would you guys feel about carrying ball .45 for defense?

Not as good as I would feel with cast SWC, and certainly not as good as HP - but if it's all I had, I would carry it with no reservations.
What's real-world experience with the Hornady XTPs in the .45ACP?

I've loaded a bunch of 'em and they feed very well - in fact I've had no failures to feed/fire/eject in any of my Kimbers to date using that round.

But the main question is - will that bullet do a better job in stopping a perp?

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Redneck, I have no real-world experience shooting people with XTP's, but I'm betting you will find no fault using them on perps, whether you are using the 185, 200, or 230 gr XTP's.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Hornady bullet I'm referring to looked nothing like anything I've seen out there currently. I think they referred to it as TMJ Truncated Cone or JTC (Jacketed Truncated Cone)... it had a sharp shoulder like an H&G SWC.

I think you are referring to the Combat/Target or C/T.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

That's close but not quite the same profile. The truncated bullet I'm referring to was dropped Hornady's lineup probably 15 years ago and was available in 200 and 230 grains. The good Colonel from AZ kept his pistols loaded with a 230 gr loaded to a bit over 900 fps if I remember correctly.

They also made the same bullet in .429 dia with a bullet weight of 240 grains.

NRA Endowment Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by gunner500
Redneck, I have no real-world experience shooting people with XTP's, but I'm betting you will find no fault using them on perps, whether you are using the 185, 200, or 230 gr XTP's.

Gunner
I load the .230 gr.. I've found 'em to be pretty darn accurate as well - placing 8 shots inside 3" at 15 yards; using eyes that cannot discern the sights worth a hoot.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

That's close but not quite the same profile. The truncated bullet I'm referring to was dropped Hornady's lineup probably 15 years ago and was available in 200 and 230 grains. The good Colonel from AZ kept his pistols loaded with a 230 gr loaded to a bit over 900 fps if I remember correctly.

They also made the same bullet in .429 dia with a bullet weight of 240 grains.

I think I know the ones you are talking about. I have some old PMC rounds with a truncated 240 grain bullet. The bullet looks like a hollow point without being a hollow point.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by GaryVA
In that context, overpenetration with the resultant risks of unintended death, injury, and property damage down range of your intended target may be an issue valid of consideration when choosing ball ammo for self-defense in a populated residential/urban setting.

If life and property down-range is that much of an issue, then it would be best not to fire at all.

A clean miss is a bummer.

I'm with you, and I do have confidence in 45 acp GI ball for being effective against a combatant whereas I do not have the same level of confidence using 9mm ball.

My point was merely a reminder that the government has already conducted extensive testing on penetration through media showing that a 45 acp fmj bullet will penetrate farther through media than both a M-16A1 fmj round and a 7.62 Nato fmj round. Fired within the structure of a residence, shop or structure of a business, absent having steel barriers, you may not have any suitable barrier to prevent the bullet from zipping through the combatant and continuing through interior and exterior walls while maintaining lethality beyond any visible backstops. This added risk is significantly reduced with quality bullets that reliably expand.

Just some food for thought, there are numerous expanding 45 acp bullets that meet FBI performance standards having stellar track records that fall within penetration guidelines. When reloading, you're looking at a difference in bullet prices of about $200 for a 1,000 fmj blasting bullets vs. about $220 to $280 for 1,000 premium expanders. If you're shooting in bulk and are looking to save some money, you're better off reloading in the long run. Adding a few boxes of premium bullets is not a great expense.

Best smile

Last edited by GaryVA; 01/16/13.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I would rather have a reliable HP but have and would bet my life on ball ammo again. I dont care if all I have is a sharp stick, as long as I can think clearly that is half the battle.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,440
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.