-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought my then 9 YO son one. It was a hard to find Micro-Medallion in 7-08, and in fantastic condition. It shoots about 3/4" using handloads and 120gr NBT's over 45 gr of Varget. He is almost 16 YO now, and he absolutely loves that rifle. He has taken a truck load of deer and hogs with it.

I know a lot of people here do not like them, but I have never had a problem with the rifle.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Mine have been very good shooters, and dependable rifles. The ergos work almost perfectly for me. Love the short-lift bolt and tang safety. Also really like the floorplate with attached magazine (DON'T like the X-bolt's polymer DBM). Only one I have these days is my 25 WSSM. Terrific shooter. Kinda ugly being black-on-black, but again great ergos for me and a great shooter.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've had or have... 1 ruger, 1 winchester, 2 remingtons, one weatherby vanguard, one styre, three kimbers, one browning BAR 270, and one Abolt (all in deer hunting calibers). Of all my rifles, many of which were/are quite accurate, my Abolt 30.06 is the most accurate rifle I own and that with 400 rounds down the barrel. The only trouble I ever had with it was my fault, when I rapidly tried to cycle a round and didnt' pull the bolt all the way back thus jamming the rifle as it started to pick up a new round but not completely ejecting the fired cartridge and both jammed together. It seems to strike the perfect weight, balancing recoil absorption and carrying comfortability. For a good price, you can't go wrong and may get a really accurate rifle.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
As long as quality steel is used, with computer-aid manufacturing I think that the quality gap as been drastically narrowed. I have a friend who bought a promotional Remington rifle that shot well under an inch all day long. So if a hunter has a limited budget or if he likes a certain rifle, I'd go with it.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Another aspect to consider is that for some reason most rifles like certain bullets better than others. A rifle might put one on top of another with one bullet and shoot like crap with another. Why this is so I don't know.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Got a white gold medallion 7rm with 26" octogon barell put a leupold vx3 4.5x14x40 on it last year first rifle I have put together from new it is very accurate

Last edited by 16penny; 01/11/13.

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a White Gold Medallion in 270. It's the most beautiful gun I own and it will shoot 1/2 inch if I do my part.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by TATELAW
I have a White Gold Medallion in 270. It's the most beautiful gun I own and it will shoot 1/2 inch if I do my part.

It sounds like you have a wonderful rifle; however, I'd bet big game don't much like it wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Laguna
Originally Posted by TATELAW

It sounds like you have a wonderful rifle; however, I'd bet big game don't much like it wink
y
Mine is so shiny It looks like i'm walking with a light saber through the woods. but I wrap it with Mcnet camo tape to protect and hide it during the hunt. also tape up my coyote rifle to hide it during fur season

Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish the stocks were oil finished!

My only complaint

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Fotis
I wish the stocks were oil finished!

My only complaint

+1

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Then you wouldn't have the prettiest browning I've saw

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love the browning a-bolts. I don't know why so many of y'all hate them? For me it is the best, most ergonmoical sported weight rifle on the market. I have sako, Remington, and have had WinchesterS. Shot my fare share of rivers as well, but BRownings are my pick. I have never owed a heavy barreled abolt such as an elispe but maybe one day I will.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tipmover
The good..the bad..the ugly?
Curious how you all like them?

I like em', specifically the A-Bolt Stalkers that I bought in the early 90's. They have a blue matte finish, the synthetic stocks are nice...they have a 'tacky' feel to them, the barrels are free floated, they have recessed crowns, they are glass bedded at the recoil lug, they have nice triggers, and they are all good shooters. They came this way from the factory. They have been workhorse rifles for me and I've used them much more than any other rifles I have.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Wouldn't have one if it were free.

I think what this means is that he'd love to have one, as long as it wasn't free.

In any case, it's enough of a recommendation for me. Now I want one.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Fischer
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Wouldn't have one if it were free.

I think what this means is that he'd love to have one, as long as it wasn't free.

In any case, it's enough of a recommendation for me. Now I want one.

I think that if you like an A-Bolt, you would love the X-Bolt.
I've shot both, and own an X-Bolt in .30-06- out of the box, one of the most accurate firearms I have owned. The trigger is just outstanding.
I've never been a big fan of Browning rifles, even tho I own several Browning shotguns, all of high quality and extremely reliable. Now, I think if I were to buy another rifle, it would probably be a Browning.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had an Abolt Medallion and a stainless Stalker. Both were great, but I just went through a lot of rifles during a stretch and neither survived my college years and the post college odd jobs phase. If someone gave my one, I would definitely use it.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
They're popular and accurate. The looks and quirky features are an acquired taste. A-Bolts have their faults, but no factory rifle is perfect.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
They're good rifles. Here in Mississippi any redneck worth the name shoots an Abolt, they're considered right up there with Purdey & Holland & Holland to any self respecting bubba. My tastes run towards others, but there's no denying they're well made. You rarely have to do anything to them to make them shoot, I wish other makers had Browning's out of the box quality control. Those that criticize them usually haven't owned one, everybody I've known who has one is well pleased with it.

S
sep Offline
S
I'm on my third one. First one in 300WM shot great, second one in 338 WM shot even better and I just bought a medallion model in 7mm-08 with a 24 inch barrel. Haven't shot it yet but if it's like the others I'm gonna be a happy man.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 444Matt, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 673, 10 invisible), 1,561 guests, and 838 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,554
Posts18,510,417
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.