-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I'm headed to Florida in about a month. Looking for a surf fishing rod that I can take as a carry on on the plane. I have never surf fished before, but thought I would like to give it a try as long as it does not break the bank

Let me know what you have
Thanks
Scott

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Scott,
Where are you headed in Florida? More than likely a Walmart or something like it will be close by.I`d suggest a visit there and pick up a combo rod and reel when you get here.It won`t break the bank.For surf fishing you`ll be looking for at least a 9 foot medium action rod and open faced spining reel pre spooled with 20-25lb mono. If you want to take it home with you buy a two piece rod.
Joe

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi Joe,
A place called Seaside, in the panhandle. My 90 year old uncle rents a place there and me and my cousins �take shifts� spending a week or two down there so he is not alone. I'll keep the Walmart option open. Thanks for your help.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
As a frequent visitor to Florida, my homestate, I have a couple of suggestions for you.

I would suggest that you spend some decent money on a good reel and spool it with good line and carry that with you to Florida on the plane, and then as has been suggested, buy an inexpensive rod at a discount store. For the most part, Walmart stores in Florida have a decent tackle selection and you might even find a cheap used rod in a local tackle shop.

Unless you are specifically wanting to take a high end flyrod, or spin rod, etc.......just pick up something cheap there and leave it for future use. Carry the reels with you back and forth.

That's what I do....

Good Luck!

Keith

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I`ll agree with frogman43.With your destination being the Destin Panama City area of the gulf coast you will have some different fish to target than those typical for us on the Atlantic side. A quality casting reel that will handle spoons and jigs for seatrout and redfish would be my choice. As suggested pick up a rod when you get there.Hope the weather holds good for you.
Joe

"......ain't many troubles that a man cain't fix
With seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
IC B2

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for all the suggestions

While I have been fishing fresh water most of my life, I am a total newbie with this saltwater stuff.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 264mag, 204guy, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 29 invisible), 14,543 guests, and 1,082 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,957
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.