-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Having read a fair amount of information about suppressors I thought I would share my limited knowledge in the hopes that I could expound upon it.

I have a 7mm-08 and intend on purchasing both a 308 and a 280 in the future. I use the 708 out to about 600 yards, and it is my go to hunting rifle. (The 280 would be for longer distance work with heavier bullets.)

Looking at suppressors it seems the two schools of thought are Threaded and QD or Quick-Detach. I would like to, in a relatively easy fashion, swap the can to and fro from each rifle as needed. However the issue is consistent POI shift and wear/tear of swapping the can from each rifle.

It does not concern me if each rifle has a different POI shift, as long as each time it is consistent. I only have experience with integral suppressors, and threaded cans for handguns.

What are your thoughts and experiences?

Bonus points: What length barrel do you like for optimum velocity/wield-ability compromise?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I prefer a thread on for what you are describing. Most of the QD systems are muzzle breaks also which you may not want when shooting without the can. Installing a can on a threaded barrel doesn't take very long but you do have to be careful not to cross thread it. The only draw back with the threaded is that the can is more likely to start unscrewing a bit after repeated shots. It's wise to check that it is tight after every few shots(at least until you get a feeling for how stable everything is). On barrel length, I'd try to keep it at 20 inches or below. I'm not sure about velocity as it depends on a lot of factors. You'll get a bit of velocity boost from the can.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know anything about suppressors, but there is a shop about 10 minutes from my house that sells and installs them. The gun smith there seems really knowledgeable. It might be worth a call to see what he'd recommend. Since they are legal in Idaho to hunt with I thought about it for awhile, then decided since it's not in my budget right now, I'd just put the ear plugs in if I have time!

http://www.idahoarmoryguns.com/

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You mention wear and tear from swapping it from rifle to rifle but the rifle should never be stored with it on. They're near universal here in Ireland and the United Kingdom and plenty of people have had them ruin barrels. Everything condenses in them as they cool and ultimately, in storage, corrodes the crown and the interior of the barrel near the muzzle. Plenty here use the same one on multiple rifles from .22 centrefires on up with absolutely no hassle whatsoever, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was recently in England/Scotland with a fellow forum member, both he and his brother swap cans on rifles all the time. Doesn't seem to affect point of impact or cause any problems.

And as it's been mentioned, you want to remove them for storage regardless.

Life is just one damned thing after another
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have a Gemtech on a bolt action .22LR. Overall combined length is same as a 26" center fire rifle barrel. I would not want to get any longer OAL.

I am also considering a second can for .30 cal. My Class 3 dealer indicated that for first round accuracy, most of his customers choose threaded setups. He indicated that some of the QD setups require one or more rounds to "settle" in" to their zero.

I do not expect to be doing anything where the extra 30 to 60 seconds to thread a can on or off would make a critical difference.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 59 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,413 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,409
Posts18,528,111
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.