Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Starting the quest for a good backpack that won't break the bank. I think I want one with a shelf for packing out the meat. Suggestions?

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Kelty Cache Hauler, $95 free shipping, no tax.

http://www.mountainsports.com/msmai...uct=Kelty+Cache+Hauler+Pack+-+Frame+only

Cabelas Outfitter frame is $145 with shipping. Get a $20 coupon and it's affordable.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
That's ambiguous ... we all have different ideas of what "break the bank" means.

Cabela's Alaska Outfitter frame is my first suggestion. Price ranges $130 to $150 depending on specific model.

I haven't used the current ones, I have an older one. The only negative I see with mine is it's a little squeaky, not an issue at all for packing out meat but for still hunting tight cover with the pack, so its already there with me, it adds to the challenge. I think for that use, soft/internal frame packs are the way to go.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry, I am looking for something under $150.

This is one I sort of looked at, but not real sure about the way the pack attaches to the frame:
http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-OutdoorZ...s/dp/B004R7L7YU/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A couple of us are playing with the LL Bean Hunters Carryall pack and so far it is working well. I think I paid $69.00 shipped with a coupon.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The only thing from ALPS I've seen first hand is a thin pad I was thinking about for hammock use and the reviews were aweful. I'd look around various sites and see if you can find ratings on that pack, if people are unhappy, especially if there's an explanation of why, it might give you some guidance as to whether it'd be likely to work for your use.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've used the Cabelas Outfitter frame and it worked ok but didn't hold up well when I ran it over with my truck. crazy

I like the external frames with the shelf for packing meat but have yet to find one that is comfortable while on a long pack out.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I like my Kelty Hauler a lot. Excellent belt, good frame.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
For me, the Kelty carries large loads much better than the LL Bean. The LL Bean feels more like an internal for those that don't like the feel of an external. If I were looking at weights above 50 lbs and wanted a load shelf, I would take a good look at the Kelty.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've used both the Kelty and the LLBean. The Kelty will outhaul the LLBean but I'd go 80lbs in the LLBean before thinking about draging the Kelty out of the truck. My Kelty is now plays backup duty at the truck in case of equipment failure, or enormous load.

This pic is the LLBean with about half my cow this year and a my dry bag day hike kit. Pack weighed 68lbs when measured at the barn and was a comfortable hike out. (My boots are another story smirk )

[Linked Image]

Now the LLBean doesn't have a load shelf, but it has a load panel and compression wings that do a great job of controlling whatever you want to haul.

--thumper338

Last edited by thumper338; 01/23/13. Reason: sp
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by wildfowl

This is one I sort of looked at, but not real sure about the way the pack attaches to the frame:

No load lifters on that pack will make getting good weight distribution near impossible.

--thumper338

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by thumper338
Originally Posted by wildfowl

No load lifters on that pack will make getting good weight distribution near impossible.

--thumper338

THANKS! That is the kind of advice I need!

NRA Life Member
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I also passed on the ALPS for no load-lifters, although I have heard some decent reviews on the pack/frame combo. I use a Cabela's Alaskan I that I picked up used for cheap. If I paid full price, I would have bought the Kelty. I'm looking at Wilderness Pack Specialties right now and maybe the LL Bean as well. I think the compression panel type of packs are more versatile.

The Cabela's does work great and I don't really have any complaints. It does have load lifters and is pretty lightweight (really light if you remove the top hoop and meat shelf as I have).

Last edited by Kach; 01/23/13.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have a Camp Trails Freighter, which I believe is very similar to the Cabelas. I have also taken off the shelf, I never used it because I usually pack the meat out bone in and the shelf gets in the way. Lots and lots of elk have been on that pack.

Last edited by Elkmen; 01/23/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jockc
I like my Kelty Hauler a lot. Excellent belt, good frame.

+1 Used it to carry out my elk in November and it worked well.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If you strip the CH down, you have a 3lb pack you can attach a dry sack or even a lightweight day pack setup. Hard to beat for the price.

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
The ALPS pack seems nice enough to start with but in fifteen days and about 70 tough miles I had ripped out a couple of grommets and torn through one shoulder strap so I had to patch it up with duct tape. The waist belt was staring to come adrift as well. I was packing a little over 85 pounds and going was, admittedly, very rough. One day we made one mile in just over four hours!. Still, one doesn't expect to see the shoulder straps tear. Alps replaced the frame and sack at no charge and I have had better luck with the replacement but I have not packed it as heavy (easier on me too!).
I've been looking at the Tutonka (sp?) which looks a little more rugged and seems to fit me a bit better. GD

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
For me, the Kelty carries large loads much better than the LL Bean. The LL Bean feels more like an internal for those that don't like the feel of an external. If I were looking at weights above 50 lbs and wanted a load shelf, I would take a good look at the Kelty.

The Bean feels more like an internal because technically it is one. Its appeal to us was not that it didn't feel like an external, but that it didn't SOUND like one going through the woods, or hang up as much, but could still manage one trip out with camp and meat/head/horns. We still stash the externals in the truck for subsequent meat hauling once the tags are punched regardless of what pack we use to hunt out of.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Elkmen
I have a Camp Trails Freighter, which I believe is very similar to the Cabelas. I have also taken off the shelf, I never used it because I usually pack the meat out bone in and the shelf gets in the way. Lots and lots of elk have been on that pack.

Does your camp trails have load lifters? I have had one for years and am upgrading the suspension to the Barney's suspension. Lack of load lifters is one of the reasons for the change.

Last edited by Floorguy; 01/29/13.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (300jimmy, 1minute, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 62 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,571
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.