Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Hoot Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
For the past 4 years I've been carrying a Kimber ultra carry ll that is only 25 oz's empty. Even after you drop 6 & 1 its not overly heavy, but this thing covers some sq inches.

I'm looking at several so called pocket pistols in .380 and wondered if anyone had any advise.

Im thinking about the Kahr, the Colt pocket lite, the sig single action and maybe the Keltec.

Thanks.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've not run the .380 Kahr, but have run them in other chamberings. They typically have smooth DA triggers similar to a revolver and are easy to carry. Sights are usable.

My parents both carry the Sig P238 and love them (but don't shoot them much). When I carried a 1911 primarily I considered these but wasnt overly impressed for my use. Nice trigger, but not like a good 1911. Sights were easily visible. Safety was stiff. Ultimately didn't like the idea of a safety in a pocket pistol for me. Found it also a bit larger than I prefer for its use.

Have used the Keltec and a couple of the Ruger LCP (essentially a copy). Significantly lighter and smaller and for me that made a difference for pocket carry. There is almost nowhere that one of these can't go with me. Sights are poor to nonexistant and the trigger is long and stiff (but that's OK by me for its intended use). I shoot my LCP pretty well but consider it a "last resort" piece to carry.

I'm no guru, but hopefully some of that will be helpful. Bottom line - find one you are comfortable with, practice a TON, and carry it ALWAYS.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have never owned a Kahr but looked at some new ones last weekend w/ my Uncle. They had 4 left. 2 full stainless and 2 polymer frame models. 2 of them the slide stop was malfunctioning. Some times would not lock back at all or were very difficult to get slide released. The other 2 The mag release button would stay pushed in and would not come out. U had to "strip" the mags out they mess around to get them back out. I was not impressed with them at the price they were. I know others have had glowing reviews but I did not buy one.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ruger LCP

I love mine

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Hoot
For the past 4 years I've been carrying a Kimber ultra carry ll that is only 25 oz's empty. Even after you drop 6 & 1 its not overly heavy, but this thing covers some sq inches.

I'm looking at several so called pocket pistols in .380 and wondered if anyone had any advise.

Im thinking about the Kahr, the Colt pocket lite, the sig single action and maybe the Keltec.

Thanks.

My advice is to stick with your Kimber. But your mileage may vary.

Best of luck with your decision.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That's a really odd story... Kahr pistols have been uniformly dead-nuts reliable for me for the past 10 years, and I've owned a bunch of 'em.

I wonder if the "malfunction" of the slide stop was not really a malf. The springs on Kahrs are very strong, and unless you engage the slide stop and hold it firmly the spring will override partial engagement. That's with administrative handling. I have NEVER had a Kahr slide-stop fail to function perfectly during live fire.

As for the mag release, I suspect a clean-and-oil would have solved that problem. Kahrs are manufactured to very tight tolerances and can be "sticky" for the first 200 rounds or so.

Every new Kahr I've had required some break-in... typically, I clean and lube the gun, then fire it til it starts to fail to go into battery, or fails to eject, then strip it down and clean it again. Usually one or two cleanings are all that's needed, and I do another one after I get the first 200 rounds through it just to be on the safe side.

My old K9 went through a good 10,000 rounds with only occasional cleaning and it was a flawless performer throughout that time. I sold it to a young lady who still carries it as her daily CCW gun, and she has also used it as her main gun in IDPA competition for 8 years or so without a malfunction of any kind.

Frankly, I am totally sold on Kahr pistols for reliability and durability, fit, function, and accuracy. There is simply no better small 9mm autopistol out there, and damn few subcompact 40's or 45's that are equal to the Kahrs.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Hoot

Thanks.
Sig p-238 in 380 cal.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

I've recently handled the Karh CW9 and it felt really good, simple and very nice fit and finish.

Last weekend also handled the Colt Mustang/pocketlite. That thing was small, but again fit and finish very nice. I've never shot a 380 but with the very short handle I could see it being snappy, but again no 1st hand experience.

Don't count out the J frame and similar size revolvers either.

Mike.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
You might also want to consider the Ruger LC9. Pretty sweet little gun.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is little reason to stoop to carrying a .380, when in the same size platform you can get at least a 9MM, if not a .45 acp pistol. My new Springfield XDS, with a full magazine and one up the spout, weighs only 25 ounces.

Sam......

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a ccw piece, and if the 1911 is muscle-memory automatic for you then vote the sig. The p238 is familiar, small, solid feeling, has excellent sights, and been pleasantly surprised how well it shoots. There are stainless trigger shoes avail aftermarket; that plus shooting and my trigger has come around nicely. Except for wanting to try the 938, don't foresee giving it up for work-environment carry.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
i got the ruger lcp the trigger sucks but it goes bang all the time, shoots OK with the laser provided with it. Can't go wrong for $300 only thing wrong with pocket pistols is if your sitting down you cannot get the damn thing out of your pocket easily, big tactical disadvantage to my thinking. I have a Kahr PM9 that is really a pocket sized pistol, much better trigger pull, it has never let me down with a single misfire, misfeed or other mischief over the last 5 years or so. I suggest a PM9 and carry it on your hip over a pocket 380 gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...or you might look around for a used Star PD in .45acp.

Life is hard. It's even harder when you're stupid. --John Wayne
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Springfield Armory XDs in 45 acp is almost pocketable for me and the Kahr CM9 definitely is, it is smaller than theCW9 and fits in my front pocket comfortably. A few years ago if you wanted a pocket pistol you had the choice of a .380 or smaller, today there are a handfull of 9mm's and the 45 acp XDs may even work for you.... it is pretty much the same size as the S&W M&P shield (that is chambered in 9mm and 40 shorty).

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I do an LCP 12 oz loaded sometimes I forget it there.

Living in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him, better take a closer look at the American Indian"
Semper Fi The Old Corps Era of the M-1 Garand�
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I gave my LCP to a daughter in order to retrieve my Colt's pocket .380. The Colt may be a little large and heavy by today's standards, but at least I can get hold of it. The LCP is just not large enough to hang on to with arthritic hands and the sights are tinny .

Ruger has recently introduced an LC9 look alike in .380. Some prefer that to a 9 in a small package. I basically stick with one of my J-frame .38s , air weight or steel depending.....

Lots of good stuff out there into pick from. Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Might be too big for you but I like the CZ 83.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a Ruger LCP, that I installed a belt clip on.

This is my hot summer/backup gun.

I can carry it with shorts and an un-tucked tanktop.

My Wife has the Kal-Tec .380 also with the belt clip.

BOTH make GREAT summer carry guns.

Virgil B.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
My vote would be for one on the 1911 pattern like the Colt Mustang or the Sig p238. I do not like long DAO triggers, though some guys really prefer them. If that's the case for you, the Kahr will have the best trigger.

"That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved."
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (BlackHunter, blackhawk44, aaronward9, 10gaugemag, big_g270, 8 invisible), 1,526 guests, and 832 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,557
Posts18,510,434
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.