Print Thread
Hop To
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I noticed that the season starts real early in Ontario dmu unit 34 for no residents. Since it is close to where I live I got interested. Does anyone hunt in unit 34 or near it? What is it like and why do they open the season so early? Thanks in advance.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Unit 34 is tough to access and is more moose and bear country than whitetail. The MNR has seasons in some marginal areas to encourage whitetail harvest in traditional moose areas. You would be lucky to see a deer in WMU 34 hunting all season long dark to dark.

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Snicker, I kind of figured that. Just can't help thinking about hunting Canada someday. I hear a lot about Dryden area but seems yesterday's news and a lot of non res. hunters. I don't know if it's worth it to go all that way to try for a buck when Minnesota is closer and cheaper. I just hear so much about NW Canada.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Yes, the Dryden area is not that easy to hunt as non-resident DIY although there are a good number of deer especially in the private land areas closer to Dryden. I would probably try Wisconsin or Minnesota if I was in your shoes. I hunted Trempeleau Cty in Wisconsin a few times. Great deer country there. Never did shoot a buck but took a doe and passed on a few bucks in the 130 range.

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I hunt N.W. Wisconsin, have for 25 years. It's big woods but not like Minnesota or Canada. One of the reasons I'm looking elsewhere is cause Wis. gun season starts Nov. 23 this year. This year Minn. starts Nov. 2 and the rut frenzy is on. Nov. 23 the frenzy is long gone and rut is dieing down from my experience. Also, the bait in the woods keeps deer so well fed that they move very little in the daytime. So, I'm considering Minnesota too, no bait allowed there but half the deer. Someday.

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You are in a good location to hunt the Very NE part of Minnesota just north of Duluth and up the north shore of Lake Superior. You could also travel further to NW Ontario. That is a late start to the gun season but that has also helped Wisconsin become a very top end trophy hunting state.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
You might try Ontario tourism sites. Some can be contacted by email.
Good luck with the hunt for the hunt.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks guys. I am amazed when looking for land to buy in Canada. I saw land around Timmins for darn cheap. I say to myself, boy dats darn good looking deer country!!!!!!!! Then I find out there are no deer there. SOme locals say they see one here or there, soem say they don't see any. So I thought wmu 34 would be better, not popular like Dryden, just to hear it's just moose country. I think I was there on my honeymoon. We took a train from Soo half way to Wawa. Rough country, beatiful train ride, lots of rocks and cliffs. You'd think there would be some deer there though. I'd love to buy some land there but the way things are going I don't know if Canada will let us in. There are USA citizens moving to Canada with our debt, spending, and now gun control attempts. Only a matter of time when Canada says enough of us.

Last edited by ihookem; 01/26/13.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Thunder Bay is probably one of the best kept secrets for great deer in Canada but it does not have a non-resident season. There are decent deer numbers as you get closer to Sioux Ste. Marie. Along the north shore of Superior you start to see huntable populations of deer about 30 km east of Nipigon when your heading west. Once you pass Nipigon your in some darn good deer country. Land is still quite reasonable in NW Ontario. Ther are always properties for sale. There are quite a few listings here:

http://ontariotrophybucks.ca/index.php?showforum=157

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a great place but where is Sioux Ste. Marie?

IC B3

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
It's above the esat part of upper Michigan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sault Ste. Marie is located at the very east end of Lake Superior.

Jim

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
As mentioned, it is also know as "The Soo", and the name means Saint Mary's Rapids.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes I know where Sault St. Marie I don't know where Sioux St. Marie is.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I was cutting some slack for misspelling. Not the first time this sort of thing has happended around here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ihookem,

If you go east of Dryden, and south of 17, the season runs the month of October. Not the most ideal time, but the latter part of October can be good if you're open to covering a lot of ground and doing some rattling. That said, you still need to go with an outfitter even though it's a DIY-type thing. I did this about 5 years ago, had a great time and didn't see another hunter. And, also managed to slay the biggest-bodied whitetail I've ever taken.

If going the MN route, I'd do what was offered above - north of Duluth and on up the shore. I'd spend that first year scouting with a rifle in my hand - ya gotta start somewhere. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by n007
Yes I know where Sault St. Marie I don't know where Sioux St. Marie is.

Really. Like you going to hang yourself up on spelling. How prudish.

I
ihookem Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thanks Skane. I thought about going to N.E. Minn. I never thought about Grand Marais till I saw you hunted there in 2012. Just maybe it would be a cheaper more practical way to go. I have no idea where to start but several days off in the spring time will tell me a lot. I hunted between Orr and Crane lake foe bear in 03. I saw a few bucks crossing the road that were not trophy, but impressive for Labor day. Every time I read about northern Minn. I hear people say it's loaded with hunters. Seems impossible, they have less hunters and more land than Wisconsin. I will see if Orr to Crane lake fro me. Still would like to try Canada. My BIL works with a guy who hunts around Kenora , he has 500 ac. up there and will be questioning him if I get a chance. Later, ihookem.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 219 Wasp, 50 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,034
Posts18,500,639
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.