Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JBO69 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
So what is the verdict on these scopes? Lens quality, ergonomices, zero stop, CDS functionality, other????
Any failures????

Having a new 308 built and this may be the scope..

thanks

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Haven't really seen any reviews but do own one in the illuminated model 2-12x42 and it's as close to the comparable Swarovski z6i that I've seen out there. Considering the Swarovski sells for over 3 times the price there isn't that much difference. Field of view on the 2-12 VX-6 is very good and closer to Swarovskis huge field of view than anyone else has. The illuminated dot is small and doesn't cover the animal like so many others do. It's in the 2nd plane so it doesn't grow as the power goes up.

I compared my 2-12 Leupold with the same power Z6i and the only advantage I could give Swarovski is their scope gives you a quicker picture if that makes sense. Swarovski has the ability to make things jump out where Leupold takes a second to get it in view. Once there I didn't see any difference to say the Swarovski was better. Very impressed with the Leupold.

Haven't tried the CDS part so I can't comment there. It's a trim scope that's light weight and looks very good on the rifle. I will probably order a CDS turret cap this year for my 270 win. Not worried about it at this stage of the game at all.

I plan on ordering a second one as soon as funds permit.

Also I did look at the 3-18x50 at the Dallas Safari Club show and it certainly looks like a good one. Not sure what I'd put it on but as soon as I can figure that out I'll give one a try. I think Leupold hit a home run with this series. Been very disappointed the last years with their lack of innovation. This was finally a step in the right direction.

J
JBO69 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
thanks for the imput. Just suprised no one else has chimed in????

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I compared my vx-6 to my z5. They seemed comparable. I have the 2-12 flavor. I wish it had the side focus. Not that it matters much for a hunting scope but I did notice a fair amount of parallax. I am not an expert in optic quality but it was noticeably clearer than my vx-3. If they had a side focus it would be a great scope. I have always liked the CDS. Functions fine for me so far. I like the CDS better than the Swarovski BT.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I only know one other person who has one and he is very pleased with the one he has as well. I am a scope 'ho' if there ever was one and I must say there are so many good scopes out there today that a lot of it comes down to simply what someone likes or a brand that someone trust.

Zeiss has their new HT line out and they are claiming the most light passthru (95%) of any scope out there. Friend of mine in England saw one several months back and he said it is every bit as good as claimed. That's my next quest since I do a lot of hunting after hours for predators and light is a very big deal. I looked at them at the Dallas show also and of course you can't tell anything in the lit up building but it is a good looking scope. Beyond that it's buy one and give it a go on the back porch leading up to and including the dark.

I've compared a lot of glass and so far the VX-6 is the only thing that I would put in the same league with Swarovski. I must add though that some years back I had a Zeiss Conquest in a 4-14x50 that really was good in low light. It was better than the Diavari models were that I had. So you never know sometimes they get it really right without trying. I've since moved to illuminated in almost all of the rifles and that's opened another challenge.

Did a few searches for reviews and come up with these, granted not much there but a little info:

http://lockedandloadedwithcarduccit...ld-vx-6-review-best-scope-for-the-money/

http://lockedandloadedwithcarduccitactical.com/2012/01/16/leupold-vx-6-rifle-scope/

http://www.riflescopespy.com/hunting/leupold-scopes/vx-6/

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am thinking the 3-15 x 50 Duralyt myself. The VX-6 is a contender however a review on F&S gave high praise to the duralyt reticule for quick shooting. My goal is low light, quick shooting at ranges typically 50 yards.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hurry up and start buying those VX-6's gents I'm waiting on your VX 3's and the like. For way less money I might add.

NRA Lifetime Member
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
I too, have the 2-12 x 42 which I purchased for my .375H&H to use on an upcoming safari.I got the German #4 lighted reticule. When the scope came the elevation turret did not "click" when adjusted. I sent it to Leupold and they fixed and returned it in about 2 weeks. Since then, I have been very happy with it. It is very clear and so far the recoil has not bothered it a bit. As TheChamp stated, the red dot seems to be perfect in size and you can adjust the intensity to your liking.
Have not used it extensively yet, but so far I am very happy with it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
Hurry up and start buying those VX-6's gents I'm waiting on your VX 3's and the like. For way less money I might add.

That's funny right there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B3

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I ordered the 3-18 today so I will test it and give you guys my 2 cents worth.

J
JBO69 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
good stuff...keep it coming

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
saw a 3-18 at the safari club show. it was VERY nice

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Been impressed and disappointed. Impressed by the glass, profile, price. Terribly unimpressed with Leupold windage and elevation adjustments in the last 3 scopes I have bought from them - a vx3, vx7 and vx6. Not one would move 1/4 moa per click, usually twice that. Sighting in becomes difficult, but all hold zero very well. I shoot 1/2 moa loads on two rifles that I double check them on. Twice I have sent them in to Leupold and they quickly send them back "fixed" usually worse than when I sent them in. The vx7 was terrible and I unloaded it after 2 rounds in Leupold's shop. The cost of my time, effort and shipping makes their warranty less comforting. I am currently debating if its worth sending the vx6 in or just accepting that I can't use the cds or make elevation adjustments when shooting long range. Beautiful glass, I haven't seen better on my leica or nightforce. Great field of view. I'd like to think maybe I got a lemon, but as I have been the recipient of so many lemons and having seen so many other leupolds that were mechanical junk it is just hard to recommend them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Idahoelk- say it ain't so!!!

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Idahoelkaddict
Been impressed and disappointed. Impressed by the glass, profile, price. Terribly unimpressed with Leupold windage and elevation adjustments in the last 3 scopes I have bought from them - a vx3, vx7 and vx6. Not one would move 1/4 moa per click, usually twice that. Sighting in becomes difficult, but all hold zero very well. I shoot 1/2 moa loads on two rifles that I double check them on. Twice I have sent them in to Leupold and they quickly send them back "fixed" usually worse than when I sent them in. The vx7 was terrible and I unloaded it after 2 rounds in Leupold's shop. The cost of my time, effort and shipping makes their warranty less comforting. I am currently debating if its worth sending the vx6 in or just accepting that I can't use the cds or make elevation adjustments when shooting long range. Beautiful glass, I haven't seen better on my leica or nightforce. Great field of view. I'd like to think maybe I got a lemon, but as I have been the recipient of so many lemons and having seen so many other leupolds that were mechanical junk it is just hard to recommend them.

EEK!

Don't tell me that chit! I was all set to buy a 3-18x44 VX6...

Anybody got any better news?

David

J
JBO69 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Idaho sure knows how to make an impression with his first post.... thanks for the insight on something i did not ask or think of first.

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
Originally Posted by Canazes9
[quote=Idahoelkaddict] I'd like to think maybe I got a lemon, but as I have been the recipient of so many lemons and having seen so many other leupolds that were mechanical junk it is just hard to recommend them.

I am no expert at long-range shooting, don't own walls full of guns, or hunt all over the world, but I have been using Leupold products for about 30 years. Maybe I am lucky, but the ones I own have held up and performed well in harsh conditions. I have hunted several species of game in West Virginia, Wyoming, Idaho, and Alaska, and they never failed to perform in heat, altitude, rain, snow, and wind. They are far from being "mechanical junk".

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I don't mean to offend any Leupold diehards - I have used them since I started hunting at age 12 and certainly the brand has a strong reputation. I have taken lots of animals with them and as a guide have seen more good than bad overall. I suppose I'm just a bit burned up about spending so much money on their "premium" products that don't function in every way they should. I will say that I would have no hesitation leaving my vx6 on my rifle to go on any hunt where I wouldn't adjust my turrets. It is exceptional in every other way. I wanted to let other shooters looking at them know about that specific detail before such a big investment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use to use nothing but Leupold scopes up until the mid 1990's and was very happy with their performance. I started traveling more back then, and airline travel seemed to have these scopes constantly losing zero from being bumped and banged around. I switched to using B&L Elite's and later Elite 4200's and my zero shift's stopped. I recently decided to give Leupold another chance and last fall, I bought 2 brand new Leupold's (a fixed 4x and a 4-12) and both were defective. The 4x had it's reticle break that was mounted on a Ruger 10/22 and the 4-12 wouldn't hold zero and the group's opened up quite a bit on a known 270 Remington Custom Shop rifle. Got the 4-12 back from Leupold after a month and a half, mounted it back up, and it's still defective. It's going back again and going to the sold column after-wards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,277 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,679
Posts18,513,358
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.