Hop To
T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Hi guys

i am 51 and understand what involved with elk hunting.

i hunt the cranbrook area in southern BC for elk, most the time on foot. Most the time this is pretty exhausting.. to say the least.

I have invited my 80 Year old father inlaw to come out for an elk hunt.

What can i do to make the experience as comfortable as possible for him.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Make sure that he has a comfortable bed in which he can get a good night's sleep. No "death marches", try to put him in places that don't overtax his physical capabilities. Watch him closely. If he is starting to drag, take some time off, even if it means not hunting for a day. Make sure that he eats and that he drinks enough water so that he doesn't become dehydrated.

Concentrate on having a good time and sharing the experience. Good luck and have a good hunt!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Give or take, what is the general terrain where you and your father will hunt??

Will you be in a tent camp carried by a vehicle, horse and pack trip, or hunt from a cabin or RV camper??

If your father is in good health, although elderly, don't try to move too quickly. Go along at his pace. When he needs to rest, let him take it easy until he'd ready to go again.

I'd try to get him on the side of hill where he could do a lot of glassing with his binocular. If he got a shot across canyon, you'd probably be best off to leave him where he shot the elk, and you go take care of it.

Also a good hiking stick or pole would probably come in very handy. I always use one.

Lots of variables to consider.

Good luck.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
When I was there some area's allowed access with 4 Wheelers, there were even hunters hunting in clearcuts. There might be some opportunities that way also!

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TI3006
Hi guys

i am 51 and understand what involved with elk hunting.

i hunt the cranbrook area in southern BC for elk, most the time on foot. Most the time this is pretty exhausting.. to say the least.

I have invited my 80 Year old father inlaw to come out for an elk hunt.

What can i do to make the experience as comfortable as possible for him.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Find a elk before the season and tie it to a tree......

Do they have cow tags in that part of the country?--if so, that would soemthing to think about.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Horses?

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good advice so far.

I am thinking that you just signed up to be chief guide, gofer, packer, and probably mostly non-hunter for the season. You need to stay with or near him, carry as much of the emergency gear as you can handle, keep his pack light. Depending on his vision, you may need to be elk spotter. Concentrate on his hunt while he is there. If you can get him an elk, you will both have a wildly successful outing.

Test his stamina carefully to start with, and try to get to where elk can be expected. You will probably have to stay out of some of your habitual terrain. Your distances may need to be short. He is unlikely to be as agile as you are. Brush up on your first aid skills in case he does have problems in the outback.

As pointed out earlier, making sure he can get a good rest at night will go a long ways. Anti-inflamitories, a little whisky, and some good sitting comfortably of an evening, then a good sleeping arrangement will help him recruit for the next day as well as anything. And as mentioned, if he sort of poops out, take a day off to rest, bathe, talk, read, drive around "scouting".

Walking stick is very good suggestion. Makes a fine shooting stick, helps balance, helps on slick slopes, releives pains of arthritis on joints, and is a great aid when packing meat out.

Make sure to have enough of the right clothing to keep him warm. By 80, most people are starting to have trouble with regulating core temperatures, and they can get cold easily. If he does get too cold, he will not be as able to keep on the go. You may need extra bedding or better heat at camp. No need to be obtrusive, just have it available in camp in case it is needed. Make sure to keep him involved in the planning so you know his needs. Talk to him about his own expectations up front.

What a great opportunity. I wish you both the best of luck! Post photos.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
80 years young and gunna hunt elk, I hope I am as lucky cool

mudhen nailed it.

Also, do a little scouting for a meadow, clear cut or some sort of opening with signs of the wapiti in the area. Maybe a little work getting there but once there, its cake.

My experience with similar situations is that they are just glad to be and are able to go and enjoy the experience...kills or not.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not quite there yet, but my main considerations are a good bed, a warm camp, and good nutritious food. Pace yourself at his speed.No Dawn to dusk.Get back to camp early to get camp chores done and a good meal.He probbaly won't hunt all day.I don't/can't.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If he lives at low elevation, don't take him to someplace 7000' higher. Altitude will have more affect on him than on you.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If one has a good sit and wait spot (travel corridor or feeding area) pack in a low boy lawn chair and functional bipod to shoot from. It's good if one can stow things there for the duration. Much better than standing, sitting on snow covered rocks, logs, or the ground. A pair of binos would be good also.

Some practice setups for a variety of situations would be good, as well as near intimate familiarity with ones firearm.

Clear a trail to the area of impediments to reduce noise and ease travel. A small flashlight for travel before/after day light.

Some snacks, lunch, and water.

Also go way overboard on a warm coat and boots.

If one can, generate a map of shoot and don't shoot ranges/landmarks from his vantage point.

At 66, I switch about evenly between posting and still hunting, and take about 2/3 rds of my elk from the lawn chair. This year it was a Wy 4 by 4 raghorn at about 40 yds. Over 9 seasons, I've taken 5 bulls from that exact spot, and picked up a 6th one walking an adjacent ridge.

Good for him, God bless you, and I hope someone like you is around when I reach that age.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/25/13.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunt a bit less yourself, save some time to just sit in the tent with your father in law.
I'm kinda old myself, and while I still hunt OK, what I enjoy most is camp time with my favorite Grandson.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good fitting boots, and layered cloths, keep dry. A good warm comfortable camp to come back to. Rest and plenty of good food. Its hunting not a foot race. But you have to be were the elk are to begin with in order to shoot one. Other than that you both should be getting regular exercise right now right up till hunting season. Maybe that is something you could do together.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

S
S
so many advice here,what i can say is good luck for you and your father,enjoy your hunting~~

android tablets| car dvd players | home supply |health care products|toys|sports goods | NEEDED. please contact me through
PM.
T
TI3006 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks guys, i will follow your advice.

I have hunted both areas we will be hunting for about 10 years.

The first week we are tenting it in relatively low country.

We will be able to hunt clear cuts and do some driving ( I do not have a quad or access to horses). Cows will be open but he only wants a bull. The area is 6 point only.

We have a warm bag for him and a double inflatable. We will be in a tent. I am lending him my Titanium 3006 so he will not have a lot to carry .

The walking stick is a great idea.

The second week we are in steep country. I will try and get him on a vantage point and we will glass and call. He may have a trailer bed the second week, I will need to see how that plays out.

I will not have an opportunity to scout before I get to the hunting area , so tying an elk to a tree is out LOL, although I have suggested it to the locals I hunt with.

I suggested that would be the easiest plans and they responded withοΏ½FOR WHO!!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If sleeping on the inflateable put a heavy blanket,rug, or soemthing like that between his bag and the inflateable.Then evey morning,turn his bag back so that blanket can dry.

If not the bag absorbs body moisture given off during the night and each night he will get successively colder.Even worse if it is below freezing and that body moisture freezes in the bag.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Road hunt.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Some really good advice here, even works for me with two artificial legs...except the "tie it to a tree" post was not helpful at all.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I am by no means a young elk hunter, although I still manage to hunt rough country for elk every year. My style of hunting is pretty hard, and is definitely not for most hunters. For that reason, I am very reluctant to invite others along on my elk hunts, because I know how hard it can be, both physically and mentally.

With that thought in mind, I would urge the OP to talk extensively with his F-I-L, and figure out what the old boy is expecting from the hunt, and also what kind of physical condition he might be in.

With that in mind, plan how to accommodate his needs and abilities. You probably need to turn down the intensity somewhat, as he is unlikely to be able to keep up with the hard days and tough hunting.

Shorten the days, hunt one end or the other pretty hard, and get him plenty of rest and good food. Be careful to not equate your hunting and shooting abilities with his. If necessary, stay with him to make certain he does not get lost or injured.

The best part will be time spent together, whether hunting or in camp at the end of the day. Make sure he has a good time, and the experience is positive, no matter whether an elk is taken or not.

This is a wonderful opportunity, and I hope it turns into a favorite memory and story for years to come.

Best of luck to you both.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 61 invisible), 3,015 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,411
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.