Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
My friend purchased a Rem 700 in a 22-250 that we found was shooting 4" 100 yrd groups with various brands of factory ammo when we took it to the range. He asked me to take it and see if I could sort it out. I found that the action moved in the stock with the screws cranked down as tight as they could be and someone had worked over the barrel channel from the tip back about 6".

I scrubbed the dirty bore and glass bedded the recoil lug and chamber along with the rear tang free floating the barrel. This has helped every remington I've had problems with and they have always ended up shooting MOA or better after my efforts.

This rifle has me scratching my head. It will shoot MOA 5 shot groups with UMC factory 40 gr hps, but all other factory rounds I have tried in it spread out horizontally to the right about 2.5 -3". Pretty well inline vertically. This has been consistant with 4 other factory loadings (federal and winchester).

I am looking for suggestions as to what I am overlooking. I haven't gone to developing custom loads for it yet since these 2.5 and 3 inch groups don't give me the warm fuzzys that this gun will shoot much better after the effort. But it does shoot the one load well so that is my next move...

It is obvious to me that it's previous owner had problems with accuracy and sent it down the road....

Your help will be welcomed.

Thanks
Scott

Last edited by Sled2live; 01/28/13.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It doesn't sound like the barrel is total crap where it performs pretty good with the UMC stuff. You might try handloading for it and see what happens. Of course I would recrown the thing before doing anything else with it. A good clean crown will help insure consistency.

Lock, Stock and Barrel gunworks
SLC, Ut
USMC 69-73

"This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend, it is my life."
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I myself dont like bedding the chamber area on the barrel I free float all the way and never had a problem

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I guess we are assuming that your friend bought a used rifle ? I'd check the throat too . If it belonged to a hot rodder that shot a lot , it could be a factor . As Malm said , a fresh crown is always a good thing , on a used gun !

Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
Try a recrown. A small amount of money that may produce a shooter. If it still fails......rebarrel.

IC B2

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
call me crazy but i had a remington that did same thing throat checked out ok so i went to hardware store got nylon bushings sanded them down to fit action screw holes. Tnen cut them to proper length drilled so action screws would fit snugly lightly epoxyed them into stock . then bedded the recoil lug. well since i had it apart i took the barrel pluged the muzzel with an ear plug ,,
cut finger from rubber glove placed it over crown and sealed it to barrel with tape .put muzzel in coffee can . than filled barrel with wd-40 to top of chamber, placed it (action up ) in corner let stand for 48 hours to get oil behind any foulings drained barrel scrubed it out put it all back togather problem solved... which step did it i dont know but it shot great after that

It is better to have it and not need it , than to
need it and not have it ( by master gunsmith & very wise friend )
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Make sure front action screw is not touching the bolt lug. Had one a 22-250 even that acted just like yours and that was its problem. Fixed that and it was a sub moa after that.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Check the bolt handle and make sure that it doesn't touch wood when it is down. I had one that did and it threw fliers until I opened up the slot.

One other thing to check is if the guard screws touch wood when cranked down. That'll cause issues also.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, AB2506, 406_SBC, 14 invisible), 3,226 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,806
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.