Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
ctpa61 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Anyone used this combo on elk? What were your results? I have a load worked up and am considering this for my next elk hunt.

There is a reason why you never hear of anyone shooting a 308 winchester AI.... It can't be improved upon!! Molon Labe
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Here ya go... cow elk, 140 yards, 308 Win, 150 TTSX... no thanks.

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How did you find that bullet after that elk ran off? wink

Amazing. Surprising. No guarantees.....Murphy's Law.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

[Linked Image]
Clean the rock salt out before shooting next time... wink

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I took a spike bull this year using the barnes, 50 yard shot, quartering towards me. Entered in front of the left shoulder, exit behind the right. Lungs and heart turned to liquid. He took 3 small steps and dropped. I did not recover the projectile. grin
I should have taken a pic after skinning him, forgot, sorry. You can see the exit hole behind the right shoulder in this shot.

[Linked Image]

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

I remember that day Mac, it was sure butt cold out there!My fingers were too cold to run my camera...<g>.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe the cold slowed expansion? wink

Surely this is atypical right?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

I remember that day Mac, it was sure butt cold out there!My fingers were too cold to run my camera...<g>.

Dober

Dober, it was! -27*F IIRC.

Here's a shot you managed to snap:

[Linked Image]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 65BR

It's happened to me, Dober, and other friends. My own unverifiable opinion is X-type bullets fail to expand more often than some think. They just aren't recovered all that often... when the work, they work well. I've never had a problem with Partitions, Ballistic Tips, or Accubonds working so will stick with those for elk.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]
wonder if a 130 at 3000 plus wouldve fared better??...i think mono's have little use when started under 3000 as its a known fact they expand far more reliably with speed...at 308 speeds a 165 accubond, 168 BT would be my first choices if i wasnt shooting a 130 mono as fast as possible...i might be wrong, just my opinion

Last edited by SAKO75; 01/29/13.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looking at that bullet for the umpteenth time, does that little bit of "expansion" correlate with any of the striations?
Or are there any striations?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
C
ctpa61 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
thanks for the replies

There is a reason why you never hear of anyone shooting a 308 winchester AI.... It can't be improved upon!! Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

[Linked Image]

Brad,

I've seen the picture in the past too. Can you give some details about the hit? Bone, no bone? Where was it recovered? Any chance it could have deflected and entered at a slightly odd angle? I'm sure you've answered those questions in the past, but I've not read the response.

I'm not doubting your experience in any way, shape or form. Just curious.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 65BR

It's happened to me, Dober, and other friends. My own unverifiable opinion is X-type bullets fail to expand more often than some think. They just aren't recovered all that often... when the work, they work well. I've never had a problem with Partitions, Ballistic Tips, or Accubonds working so will stick with those for elk.

Dober's wasn't a TTSX, though. To be fair.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've killed elk with the 130 in a 308. I haven't recovered the bullets but the elk never went more than a few steps. For all I know, my bullets looked like the one pictured. I don't know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker

Brad,

I've seen the picture in the past too. Can you give some details about the hit? Bone, no bone? Where was it recovered? Any chance it could have deflected and entered at a slightly odd angle? I'm sure you've answered those questions in the past, but I've not read the response.

I'm not doubting your experience in any way, shape or form. Just curious.

Does it matter? Accubond, Partition, or Ballistic Tip would have done the trick either way.

Bone/no bone, odd angles...any of that stuff is what we call "field conditions"

If a bullet can't do that, it isn't worth much to a western hunter.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Like I said, I was just curious.

I've probably only killed 9-10 animals (8-9 deer, 1 black bear) with the TSX/TTSX. They've worked as advertised for me -- to the best of my knowledge anyway!

I was simply looking for insight through the experience of others. There a several guys on here that share honest opinions and experiences. IMO, Brad is one of them. I didn't know if he thought there may be other reasons behind the lack of performance or they were just too tough to expand at 308 velocities.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hi SAS, sorry for the late response... been busy!

Nothing was hit on the way to the target. MV was 2,820-ish. Plenty fast. Velocity or stabilization were not the issue. It's a 150 after all. The shot was straight on (no hard angles, other than I was shooting downhill on a gradual slope).

IMO, what happened was on impact (impact was on the scapula) the nose pinched closed causing the bullet to tumble. I found it in the off shoulder facing backwards.

Everyone who's shot a lot of hollow point bullets has seen them do weird things and essentially these are just over-sized hollow-points, plastic tip or not.

Hope that answers your questions.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks Brad! That answers my questions.

I understand why you're busy. I've read where you're building a house -- by yourself. Dad (retired) was a builder. Aside from building others, we built our own. I'm on my second and he's on his fifth.....and we're both probably done. I may have one more in me? Lots of pride in swinging a hammer after the job is done...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

Now that is funny but say its easy to see why they way over penetrate.

NRA Lifetime Member
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (17CalFan, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,753 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,971
Posts18,519,772
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.