Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bushcraft,

Excellent, Simply Excellent!

As an financially average guy at best, In my lifetime I would never manage to donate the amount of one of the "elite" in a single check they write as if it's a dinner check.

I've seen donations and auctions collect money that can only be imagined! This money is not then used for elite dinners for the tux and limo crowd. But rather to fight a battle over seasons or regulations in all 50 states and many places around the world.

We would not have had the influx of improved genetics for the big horn sheep in Oregon and Washington's Blue Mountains, or the rockies in Idaho. SCI bought and paid for the entire capture and release of these Alberta Bighorns. They have been almost solely responsible for some of the introduction of wild turkeys in the western USA. over the years. We may not see this Elite sportsman status as the average union worker, camo wearing deer hunter with a pickup, horse or an ATV. But lets extract the money and regulation changes they have taken care of and see where we would be today.

I'll gladly and proudly be an SCI member and let the elite act or compete, or live the lives that make them happy to be "one of us" every chance I get. I want them to save hunting for me and everyone like me!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey Bushy, I know what I saw, and was hugely unimpressed with a bunch of chest pumping egomaniacs. You must have missed the part of my post where I said that I'm sure they do some good things, and I am. If you don't like my comments from the "peanut gallery", you can stick it up your azz.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm sure SCI does some good things, particularly with conservation type stuff. However, when I was a member, and attended the convention about 3 years ago, I was never more unimpressed with the people involved. I've never seen so many people trying to impress each other with their accomplishments, money, travels, etc as these guys. My take on it was that it is a "look at me and look at what I've done" organization. The egos were apparent and pathetic. I bailed shortly thereafter.

My experiences with SCI are similar to yours. A large percentage of the members I've been around were really big A-holes. The kind of guys who carried tape measures around in their pockets, and spent a great deal of time bragging about many inches of antler they had killed. Turned me off to the entire outfit. I realize the organization does good things for conservation; I just can't get past some of the guys in it.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Bushcraft
Good grief. The whole "Is SCI a white hunter only organization?" question is probably one of the dumbest I've seen posed on any forum in a while.

Look, I�m not here to make enemies, but I�ve also got to take issue with the "unimpressed with the people involved" bit of commentary from the peanut gallery. As someone that has taken valuable time away from my businesses to walk the halls of Capital Hill with other involved members of SCI and press the flesh with our legislators, I would counter that you have an extremely superficial understanding about the enormous amounts of TIME, ENERGY and MONEY the more �involved� members of SCI throw into protecting EVERYONE�S right to hunt (including your's JGRaider, you can thank me later), both here in the U.S. and around the world. Is that your fault? Maybe not. We all agree that SCI needs to do a better job of getting the message of all that we do out to not only the international hunter, but ALL hunters, and we are working hard to do just that.

Here's a wakeup call to EVERYONE�Safari Club International is the equivalent of the NRA when it comes to protecting your hunting rights and priviledges. SCI is THE organization out there with the financial, legal, and lobbying muscle that can stand up against the anti-hunting crowd�s agenda and the $250,000,000 war chest they�ve amassed to stop all forms of hunting.

Sure, there are other organizations out there that are pitching in, and I won�t name names, but they simply don�t have the muscle or political influence that SCI does. For example, in a few minutes during Saturday evening�s function, we raised more than $1,000,000 in charitable donations to be put towards the SCI Foundation�s Wild Lion Conservation war chest, thereby making a crucial difference in the future of not just lion hunting, but hunting as we know it. That alone should speak volumes.

All hunters need to belong to, and involved in, at least three organizations: 1) The NRA to protect your gun rights, 2) SCI to protecting your hunting rights, and 3) the �critter conservation� club of your choice be it DU, RMEF, FNAWS, or whatever species floats your boat.

Bushcraft,
First, thanks for all your effort at SCI. I was on ther BOD of the Phoenix chapter for 11 years, I finally had to pull the plug due to the organizations inability to listen. There were many, many reasons that got me to leave both the PHX Chapter and National but they all had to do with "sickening chronyism". What I saw was nothing short of elitism, based on ones "percieved" financial condition. Our sitting President was actually run out of office by an SCI executive wannabee, helped out by a current SCI national employee, I would name names but WTF . 100 percent of the chapter left, including FIVE PAST PRESIDENTS. We all called our rep and KR both. It fell on deaf ears. They obviously have the people that they want now.(both local and nationally)

I'd rather give my money to CF. I only re-signed up a month ago so I could go to the show to see some of my taxidermy on display.

SCI "used" have my heart and soul, it has simply lost its way and I think the Reno attendance proves that. Hunting should not ever be a contest, tuxedo's and brass bands.

Sorry,

Just how I feel and obviously many, many more. My booking agent said he lost money for the very first time.

Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From my limited exposure, I prefer DSC over SCI. Folks at DSC don't come across as pretentious as those in SCI. Of course, my perception could be wrong as I don't attend either the awards nor banquets.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JGRaider,

I understand what you said you thought you saw..three years ago. Regardless of hunting organization, you are always, always, always going to run into the occasional overbearing tape measure toting a-hole. As with any organization, leadership changes and evolves over time. And it has. Knowing some members of the executive board personally, I can tell you that there are some exceptionally impressive individuals working very hard to push SCI and SCIF in a better overall direction. And, you are welcome to get involved with them at the local, regional and national levels, and strive to make changes and work hard to protect all our hunting rights. If that�s not your cup of tea, fine. Feel free to sit back and relax in the peanut gallery and put up another TEN THOUAND posts while the rest of us put our valuable time, energy and money where our mouths are when it comes to fighting the anti-hunters for YOUR right to hunt. Just sayin�.

Chipolopolo,

Thank you for all your involvement with SCI. I�d strongly urge you to reconsider getting involved again. I can assure you that things are changing for the better in the hierarchy. Having come up through the ranks, albeit faster than some since I was dumb enough to raise my hand to volunteer too many times, I fully appreciate your frustration with the cronyism and political gamesmanship that can occur at both the chapter and national levels. It�s worth pointing out that SCI is certainly not alone in that regard. Remember that the day-to-day decision making is done by the executive board (and now the executive director), but you've got to remember that they are all individually voted into those positions by the "Big Board" which is made up of hundreds of current and past presidents. There's nothing to stop you and some of your like-minded friends from starting your own chapter, once again have a say in the matter and help fight the good fight. Every little bit helps and it all adds up to a whole lot of political influence! If you�d like some more information, feel free to PM me.

All the best,

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.
Reviews are only as good as the crowd reviewing them.
Progressive Liberalism is the philosophy of Western suicide.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Bushcraft,
I harbor no animosity towards SCI, life's too short for that. Several of us looked into a new chapter. They had just recently set one up here, a bunch of Lawyers that really wanted their own private chapter.

The unique problem in AZ is the amount of competing outdoor conservation organizations. SCI being the only non species specific, hunters advocacy group is what drew me in. We always had to compete for attendance at our fundraisers with; Arizona Desert Bighorn Sheep Society, RMEF, AZ Elk Society, AZ Deer Assn. Mule Deer Foundation, DU, AZ Antelope Foundation and I'm probably left one or two out.

Point being another SCI chapter would be nuts. I actually contacted DSC and tried to lobby them to start a chapter outside of Dallas philosophy.

I really enjoyed my time in the organization, things change, people change. Maybe there will be a change in direction or philosophy and It will feel right again.

The Phoenix chapter was one of the very first back in the old days, Mark Sullivan for all the [bleep] talk about him was one of the first Chapter Presidents, one of the first big donors. His hunting style was never in doubt and he never tried to hide it, He was thrown out like yesterdays trash with no explination offered but Dawie Grooenvelt was kept around well past his expiration date?
BS............Chronyism.

Time to take out the trash in Tucson

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow Bushy. I had no idea I should be so indebted to you. You're probably one of the lardazz, stuff shirt, blowhards I ran into in Reno. Thanks for telling me what I thought I saw. Clowns like you remind me why I feel like I do about SCI.

Last edited by JGRaider; 01/28/13.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
JGRaider,

Wow! You are one impressive guy! Not only do you have me pegged to a "T", you are totally awesome at winning friends and influencing people...Not.

Hint: Reading is fundamental. I did not tell you what you thought you saw, but I'd bet good money you'll go on believing otherwise, even if it's dead wrong.

Listen, the fight isn't against me and those of us that are trying to protect our gun rights and our hunting rights, it's against those that are trying to strip them away from us.

Allen

It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't, everyone would do it. The hard...is what makes it great.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Chipolopolo,

I totally hear you on the number of competing organizations. We've got the same thing going on up here. Fortunately, there tends to be a lot of overlap in membership and a lot of passionate supporters of our hunting rights and critter conservation.

Hopefully, SCI is on the road to putting the whole unproductive ego-maniacal hamster wheel thing behind them and working on getting the science-based, sustainable use hunting message out to ALL of the hunting community. But we need good people to help do it.

All the best,

Allen

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Bushcraft,
I hope I don't come across as negative as some. It does sound to me like you are honest enough with your self to at least identify that there are issues.

I used to do the ISE show every year here in PHX, we did a membership drive booth. I would tell everyone that if you are a member of the NRA than you absolutely need to support SCI, what good are your gun rights if there is no hunting.

I'm hoping that someday I can come back with a clean conscience and continue to work on education, conservation and humanitarian projects. My favorite was the Navajo Nation youth hunt. We donated money every year to the Navajo Nation, they would take young kids, both boys and girls that didn't have a hunting mentor, be it father, uncle, grandfather to take them and to teach and carry on the rich hunting heritage of the Navajo Nation. A very worthy cause.

I made many, many friends on this project. The directors of the Navajo Game department and I were on a first name basis. As a matter of fact, I personally got the first navajo sheep auction tag for SCI to auction off at Reno, I think it was 2009 or 2010.

Regards,

Steve

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
JGRaider,

Wow! You are one impressive guy! Not only do you have me pegged to a "T", you are totally awesome at winning friends and influencing people...Not.

Hint: Reading is fundamental. I did not tell you what you thought you saw, but I'd bet good money you'll go on believing otherwise, even if it's dead wrong.

Listen, the fight isn't against me and those of us that are trying to protect our gun rights and our hunting rights, it's against those that are trying to strip them away from us.

Allen

Go to the accurate reloading Africa forums and do more research. You'll find there's way more people who feel like I do about SCI than the way you think. The post about all the liars, crooks and thieves SCI endorses would be a good place for you to start.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Thinking about this, I've never seen a black guy hunting at all. I'm sure many do, just not where I've been. I also don't recall any black people at any rifle range, trap and skeet range I've been to. never gave a though to it till I read this. Let it go, they do as they will!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You'll find there's way more people who feel like I do about SCI than the way you think.

Very interesting...Perhaps you can enlighten all of us on how a handful of largely anonymous people on an internet message board forum is waaaaaaaaaay more than the thousands and thousands and thousands of people that are SCI members and/or appreciate what SCI does to protect all of our hunting rights.

(psst...good luck with that)

Do you personally know any of the current SCI leadership? (I do.) Ever spent any time with them in D.C. lobbying our legislators? (I have.) Ever spent time getting to know them in the field or under the roofs of their homes? (I have.) Ever had them in your home? (I have.)

No? Oh, thaaaat's right....you've merely formed an opinion of the world's foremost hunting rights and conservation organization based on the opinions of some anonymous internet posters that you probably don't know that were referring to people that they probably don't know who are no longer part of SCI's current leadership.

It reminds me of the uninformed opinion you had about hunting in Africa and the people that like to hunt there.

Just sayin.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I support (with life memberships) both SCI and DSC. I support neither because of social reasons, but rather, because both are active and reasonably effective in promoting and lobbying for the sports and traditions I love. I suppose I am also not particularly offended by the people characterized here as blow-hards who have more money than I have. However, I would suggest that the arrogant class makes up a lot smaller percentage of these two organizations than many others to which I have had exposure in other fields.

In a previous life, as a Major General, I was responsible for defending Army programs on Capitol Hill. For an airborne ranger combat arms officer it was an informative couple of years of how things get done. By that standard, SCI in particular, has been a reasoned and effective voice supporting hunting both in the US and internationally. To accomplish that mission it needs like minded sportsman who are willing to put dollars in play. To the club's credit, it has been pretty effective in finding innovative ways to do that which work to the members' benefit (i.e. donnations). The only other organization making a similar impact where it counts for hunters is Ducks Unlimited. And I have deliberately left out the NRA in which I am also a life member.

With respect to African Americans in our sport, I suspect a host of cultural, historical and economic forces are at play. Hunting is no longer a subsistance activity and is fast evolving into an ever more privileged one. Those with that sort of disposable income, unfortunately, are not altogether refective of the general population. We do have active African American shooters in the Prince George's county trap league.

But with regard to supporting one or more of our sporting organizations, I would urge you to consider doing so for the good the organization does rather than impression some individual or group leaves with you. I suspect if enough of us did so, finding like minded members rather than offensive ones would not be difficult.

"We sleep peaceably in our beds because rough men stand ready in the
night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" Winston Churchill
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Steve,

Great job on the Navajo project!

You sound EXACTLY like the type of person SCI is looking for to help protect our hunting rights and promote science-based, sustainable use wildlife conservation and humanitarian projects, both nationally and internationally.

All the best,

Allen

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RedLeg
I support (with life memberships) both SCI and DSC. I support neither because of social reasons, but rather, because both are active and reasonably effective in promoting and lobbying for the sports and traditions I love. I suppose I am also not particularly offended by blow-hards who have more money than I have. However, I would suggest that the arrogant class makes up a lot smaller percentage of these two organizations than many others to which I have had exposure in other fields.

In a previous life, as a Major General, I was responsible for defending Army programs on Capitol Hill. For an airborne ranger combat arms officer it was an informative couple of years of how things get done. By that standard, SCI in particular, has been a reasoned and effective voice supporting hunting both in the US and internationally. To accomplish that mission it needs like minded sportsman who are willing to put dollars in play. To the club's credit, it has been pretty effective in ha so in innovative ways which work to the members' benefit (i.e. donnations). The only other organization making a similar impact where it counts for hunters is Ducks Unlimited. And I have deliberately left out the NRA in which I am also a life member.

With respect to African Americans in our sport, I suspect a host of cultural, historical and economic forces are at play. Hunting is no longer a subsistance activity and is fast evolving into and ever more privileged one. Those with that sort of disposable income or not altogether refective of the general population. We do have active African American shooters in the Prince George's county trap league, and some of them have moved to the clays range.

But with regard to supporting one or more of our sporting organizations, I would urge you to consider doing so for the good the organization des rather than impression some individual or group leaves with you. I suspect if enough of us did so, finding like minded members rather than offensive ones would not be difficult.

Redleg,

That was exceptionally well stated. Thank you!

Allen

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's worth Mentioning again. Our hunting rights, and the peek behind the wizards curtain with educated wildlife managers hired by SCI to see what the states are really doing as well as foreign governments are doing is expensive.

Without legal professional representaion on these kinds of issues, we lose. Here is a real world example of this in Wa. State from about a decade ago:

The State proposed a ban on Hunting bears with hounds and Bait. They were pushed into this by lobbyists from various animal rights groups that pounded the airwaves with commercials to show how horrible this was, and that the black bear was nearly extinct in Wa. now. This took a lot of money from the anti hunters.

The Dept. of Fish and Game in court fought this battle with the limited funds and poor representation of the facts. When the Judge asked F&W
well how many bears are there in Wa. state? Are they endangered? can you show me proof that there are enough to sustain a harvestable surplus? The state F&W lawyers just said we have a strong and growing population that is stable. Again the Judge said "HOW MANY" and how many does it take to be sustainable, how many can be harvested? what are the facts? F&W had nothing to show for this newer then 20 year old flawed research.

The Judge ruled, you show me the population is stable, I will allow a hunting season. Otherwise I have to stop the bear hunting until we know that its not going to harm the population. Wa. F&W had no funds for this, yet outside of Alaska,... Wa. state has the highest bear population in America. So the season was going to be closed.

SCI came in and funded along with the WFPA, several tree farms, and sportsmans organizations to quickly get a study underway. I was a regional manager in this study for the central cascades. In that spring population study which was not funded by the F&W division, but rather private organizations primarily SCI and WFPA ( washington forest protection association) we went before the Judge and never missed the season opening day!

From this story the real take away is obvious. The team with the most money wins 99% of the time. If you think your license and tags pay your fair share, think again. Once your license and tag fees end up in the general fund of your state( which is most if not all now) that management money is long gone for helping to protect your rights.

With SCI lawyers, biologists, and representation that Judge had no option but to believe the professionally done population study. The Antis best was advertising with news paper and commercials on TV, they had no science, why would they? it would have proven us right!

It stuns me that providing the help to the biggest possible organization that will protect us and let us enjoy our passion would be ridiculed. It also opened my eyes to a much bigger issue.

In my whole life of being a member and making donations, I will never contribute as much as one wealthy guy that buys an auction hunt, art work, or just that person writing a check at a meeting. Remember this is very simple, the one with the most money wins. How do you ridicule the elite among us when they are the ones saving this for us all?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

It reminds me of the uninformed opinion you had about hunting in Africa and the people that like to hunt there.

Just sayin.

What did I say?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
You'll find there's way more people who feel like I do about SCI than the way you think.

Very interesting...Perhaps you can enlighten all of us on how a handful of largely anonymous people on an internet message board forum is waaaaaaaaaay more than the thousands and thousands and thousands of people that are SCI members and/or appreciate what SCI does to protect all of our hunting rights.

(psst...good luck with that)

Do you personally know any of the current SCI leadership? (I do.) Ever spent any time with them in D.C. lobbying our legislators? (I have.) Ever spent time getting to know them in the field or under the roofs of their homes? (I have.) Ever had them in your home? (I have.)

No? Oh, thaaaat's right....you've merely formed an opinion of the world's foremost hunting rights and conservation organization based on the opinions of some anonymous internet posters that you probably don't know that were referring to people that they probably don't know who are no longer part of SCI's current leadership.

Just sayin.

Bushcraft, your posts aren't exactly helping your cause. They are making you sound like an arrogant prick. Think I'll take my money elsewhere.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,044
Posts18,500,862
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.