Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
OP Offline
S
Well Guys,

I'm going to be turning 40 pretty soon and my wife is giving me the green light to go on the hunt of a lifetime. I've always had Alaskan Brown Bear in mind for my dream hunt. I'm coming to the realization, however that these hunts cost a substantial amount of money. Does anyone have any advice on a more reasonable type of hunt? $20k for 14 days is a little more than I had in mind. I understand that you get what you pay for and I don't mind paying but would like to explore my options. I could do a 10 day hunt possibly to bring the cost down a bit. I've never been on a hunt like this myself so if you have any advice at all, that would be appreciated. I need to be in an area that has lots of bears and with a good outfitter and a good experienced guide.

Thank you in advance,

Slooshark1

Last edited by Slooshark1; 01/28/13.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pm sent

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You can find much cheaper bear hunts if you're willing to hunt interior grizzlies. But if you're after big Kodiak or Alaska Peninsula bears there's going to be a hefty price tag attached to it.

"Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Do a boat based hunt in Southeast. Ten days are the norm and you'll see lots of bears and get to do a variety of activities. Your wife could probably come along easily as well if you wanted.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Slooshark1
Does anyone have any advice on a more reasonable type of hunt?

Slooshark1

You could get kin to marry a resident.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Slooshark,

FWIW, from someone who has hunted Alaskan Brown Bear:

The cost is not likely to go down.

Go while you are physically able- my own brown bear hunt was one of the most physically demanding hunts I have ever been on. Walking for miles a day, over tundra, in hip boots, and enduring freezing rain for days on end, will wear you down.

My brown bear is the most prized trophy in my collection. Partly because he made the B&C book, mostly because he was a very hard-won trophy.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reason they suggest a 14 day is hunt is to give you more time in the field and in case of inclement weather. I'd suggest you talk to Phil Shoemaker, aka 458Win here on the 'Fire.

If I had a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt brown bears, it would be with Phil. Thankfully I can hunt them every year as a resident.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shoemaker is the man for sure but he is big $$$$$$.Worth ever penny for sure but a little out of my range.

Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
The reason they suggest a 14 day is hunt is to give you more time in the field and in case of inclement weather. I'd suggest you talk to Phil Shoemaker, aka 458Win here on the 'Fire.

If I had a once in a lifetime opportunity to hunt brown bears, it would be with Phil. Thankfully I can hunt them every year as a resident.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There are a number of quality guides in the state but if the largest bears are what you want then look to Kodiak and the peninsula.
I don't take many hunters as I have never found out how to mass produce good hunting but we do consistently take large boars and have a couple of openings for May of 2014.

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
That one ain't too bad, Phil!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

309 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 2five7, 45 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,443
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.