Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
...on consignment at my favorite local shop. 2nd generation Woodsman Target in original box with owner's manual, test target, cleaning gear and a leather holster. The envelope with patches appears as old as the pistol and I'm wondering if maybe they were original from Colt. Does anyone here know what all came with these from the factory?

I'm just a little jacked with this find!

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just the target, manual and twisted wire brush came with them, the other stuff has been added.

Sweet find BTW.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

JGray:

Sweet find. When I see some of the things you Montana boys dig up out of Montana gunshops on a consistent basis, at great prices, I think Montana must be about the greatest place in the world for gunshops. grin

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
That is indeed a sweet find. Exceptional quality in a .22 pistol.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
Nice looking handgun. What was date of Mfg? I bet that could tell some cool stories!

IC B2

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by T LEE
Just the target, manual and twisted wire brush came with them, the other stuff has been added.

Sweet find BTW.

Thanks T LEE - I figured the screw driver was added. Thinking about it some more, the patches are way too big for a 22, so it makes sense they weren't included. Guy at the gun shop thought they may have been included because they "looked old" smile

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
WOW...

With the Box, Target and the manual... holy cow. I see the grip adaptor also came with it, a lot of folks removed and lost those. The Second Series was my first pistol... a Christmas present when I was 15, so of course it is my favorite.

Box looks to be in pretty good shape, does the target say what range it was fired at?

The screwdriver is not one that came with a gun (I've got one just like it), what is to the right of the screwdriver?

My 12 year old has a sweet little S&W revolver (a model 63) and the option of shooting a whole host of other .22 pistols and revolvers... yet when I ask him what he wants to shoot it is most often one of the Woodsman's... because it is 'cool' he tells me.

Jerry

Picture of mine and the one I inherited from my Dad;
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jerrywoodswalker; 01/24/13.

Si vis pacem, para bellum
J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by lightning
Nice looking handgun. What was date of Mfg? I bet that could tell some cool stories!

The serial number is 91xxx-S which puts it at 1951 if I'm reading this right:

Jan 1951 86200-S
Jan 1952 100100-S

(from http://www.colt22.com/dates.html)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wonderful gun, what a super find.

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
Box looks to be in pretty good shape, does the target say what range it was fired at?

The target only says it was fired from a rest - no distance noted. I'll try and get a close up of the marking on the target and post it later.

My Dad had a High Standard target pistol his Dad got him as a college graduation present. I always liked shooting it as a kid growing up and had hoped to inherit it some day. My Dad never cared for the pistol because it was 22 short only and I think the barrel weights were a little too "space age" for him. He sold it without telling me (along with his sportrized Springfield I shot my first two deer with). I'd a bought both in a heartbeat if I knew he was going to dump them - I may forgive him some day... cry

Jerry

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A patient gave my father one of those a long time ago. Right hand thumbrest, box, manual, grip adaptor, the works.

He gave it to me some years later, this was in the late 70's or early 80's.

Of course, like an idiot, I stupidlysoldit at a gun show in favor of some toy of the moment.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dang, I forgot about the grip adapter since it has been so long I saw one. And yes they did come with the gun but most got tossed or lost.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker

The target only says it was fired from a rest - no distance noted. I'll try and get a close up of the marking on the target and post it.

Jerry

Apparently I didn't look at the target very closely - it was shot at 15 yds...

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The gun will do better then that at 25 yards. The big thorn is to find the ammo it likes. Some stuff is so poor it is a shame to even sell it.
I would try CCI blue tag hollow points, seems as CCI still makes a good .22.
Then RWS target rounds might make it shine.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I bought a pair of .22 pistols once at a garage sale. The Colt Woodsman and the Hi Standard version. they both were tack drivers.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The holster appears to be a rawhide laced Heiser. These sell on ebay for up to $200 bucko's. Too bad the grip adaptors are missing......

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
The holster appears to be a rawhide laced Heiser. These sell on ebay for up to $200 bucko's. Too bad the grip adaptors are missing......

Please tell me more about the grip adapters. It did include one which appears to be the large one - I understand there were two sizes, so I'm apparently missing the smaller one?

Thanks!

Last edited by JGray; 01/30/13.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If there is only one, you are missing one. They're really only good for collector value, as I don't know a single person that actually shoots a second series, to use them anyway..... So, is the holster a Heiser?

J
JGray Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Nope - it's a Eubank.

Finally got out to shoot it - fired the first round fine, ejected and chambered the next one, then a dead trigger. It doesn't seem to be cocking when the slide cycles. All I did before firing is swab the bore - didn't touch the internals. I guess now I get to take it down and see if it's just gummed up inside (the slide stop and safety work pretty stiff). Hopefully it's simple and I didn't get taken on this one... frown

Point of impact was dead nuts on at 50', just above the top of the post.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The sideplate or grip being overtightened can cause stiff lever. Sometimes a bit of relief on the back of the left grip panel is necessary.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 68 invisible), 2,864 guests, and 1,485 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,736
Posts18,475,959
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.