Print Thread
Hop To
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Greetings All,

Having been a hand loader and borderline rifle loony for some time now, I have long known of the 99, but never had the pleasure to own one. That has changed.

My FIL was big into shotguns and trap shooting, but showed little interest in rifles. I didn't even know he owned a rifle, much less a 99.

Long story short, he pulled this thing out of the closet and decided I should have it as he is to the point that he can no longer shoot (not that he shot it anyway).

Last night I wiped the dust off, took the forend off, cleaned the bore, waxed and conditioned the wood, and shined her up. I dare say it is as near a 100% rifle that I have seen. Absolutely spotless. Bore is pristeen. Not a scratch on the wood. Bluing is beautiful. Gun is mint.

The only "rub," there's a Williams peep sight on it. From what I have found here, it seems that this is a Chicopee Falls 1950'ish (5518##) production. I actually like peeps, but would prefer this rifle to be original.

My question is was this drilled and tapped, or could the Williams sight have been placed where some of the old Lyman tang peeps I've seen on some of these other rifles? The peep is at the very rear of the tang and theres another hole with a "blank" in it about 3/4 of an inch forward of the peep.

Secondly, if this has been drilled and tapped, how much does that decrease value?

Not that it matters I guess. I have already ordered a 300 Savage die and plan to hunt with this rifle this fall. I've never been the type to buy a Cadillac and only drive it on Sundays... A rifle such as this deserves to be in the Michigan deer woods. It has waited 60 years for its chance at a big woods whitetail.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by NimrodRx; 08/03/08.

"It has been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well." T. Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds nice...

The tang was factory tapped at the rear. If you can post some pictures it would really help...

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
I was hoping you would say that.

Pics coming tonight.

"It has been my experience that those who shoot most often, most often shoot well." T. Roosevelt
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The Williams sights were originally made to fit the screw holes provided by the Savage factory in the tang. Later production of Williams sights were made to fit the receiver screw holes that were intended for scope bases immediately behind the rear of the bolt. The cocking indicator was covered by these later sights and I found I had to drill a hole in the underside of the sight base for the indicator to rise into. These sights would have been early in the production change over. Don't know if Williams ever changed the sight to accomodate this issue or not.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, being it's 551,8xx, that's going to make it either a 99R or a 99EG. The 99R's were factory d&t for a scope at that time and had a rounded forearm, the 99EG's weren't d&t and had a schnable forearm.

However.. I believe there were a few EG's in the 550,xxx range that were factory d&t. Sounds like yours isn't one of them.

So, since your's isn't factory d&t it sounds like it's probably a 99EG.

Now, the rear of the receiver on a 1909 through 1959 Savage 99 has 3 holes. 2 holes for a tang or peep sight, and one hole which holds a cocking indicator. Here's a pic of my 1952 99EG with a peep sight and no extra holes on top. There ARE extra holes on mine for the side mount, but the top is correct.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
As you can see it is a scnable forend.

Pics don't do it justice. She's a bute.

93EG?

Factory drilled and tapped for the peep?

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
ITs a pre. Mil EG, factory D&T looks nice, now go bust a deer with it for your buddy! John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a real nice rifle from the pictures!! If you want to get an original rear sight and put it away for later, you can do that and still use the peep for hunting. Can't fix the sling stud holes in the wood, but hey, the rifle is for hunting right??

Congrats on the rifle!!!

Mike...

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Forgive my ignorance, is that "pre-millitary" 99EG?

Glad to hear it is factory D&T'd.

Been a long time since I've hunted with irons. But there's NO way on God's green earth that this thing is going to be scoped. And yes, I am planning to use it as my primary deer rifle this winter.

Now, to start working up loads. This is going to be fun!

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Mike, I didn't realize they didn't put sling studs in these. Oh well, I'm darn glad it has them. And yes, this rifle's days in the back of a closet are over.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
pre-mil is pre-million serial number. In 1960 the serial numbers of the Savage 99's hit 1,000,000. Pre-1960 is the same as pre-mil.

Very nice rifle, I'd hunt is as is once you get a good load.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pre-Mil is for pre-million serial number, which would be rifles made before 1960.

Let us know how she groups. I think that you just might be surprised at how accurate these lever 99's can be!!

Mike...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know where you hunt or what but you won't be in to bad of shape with that sight set up in the Eastern woods. Nice rifle you got there.

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed-unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms." James Madison
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
It certainly has its place. We whitetail hunt in the Huron National Forest (NE Michigan) every year the third week of Nov. Shots are rarely in excess of 50 yards, and hardly ever over 100 yrds. This rifle is going to be just the ticket.

It is a very light hearted laid back camp. The kind of camp where you're just happy to have been there - deer or not. Toting this classic will be a joy.

Could it cost me a WT at dusk bc I don't have the light gathering capability of the 4200 3-9X40 Elite on my .30-06? Yup. Is that offset by the fact that I could kill a WT with my FL's classic rifle in a classic chambering? Yup.

Where is that die???

L
L
Very nice rifle you have there. Your FIL must really like you! I am working on a 664,0xx Model 99 that wasn't stored properly and it is a mess but cleaning up pretty good. Is yours chambered in 300 Savage or 250-3000 or something else. Good luck with it.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
300 Savage.

N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
i shared this rifle with the campfire in 2008. the pics are no longer hosted. i could take more. but as you can tell, from the remarks, it's in good condition. quite good for the age.

i shot this rifle at the range a couple times, but have never hunted with it. other interests prevailed and now i find most of my time spent in following a dog around the uplands.

i'm considering selling it. prices seem to be all over the board. there's a small shop here in my small town that offered me $500. now, given that i don't have to ship the gun and will have cash in hand, would you folks agree this to be a good starting point on price?

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
For a gun in that condition I'd be looking for $600. Gun shops never pay retail of course but you should go for more than $500.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (16penny, 16gage, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 62 invisible), 2,835 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,622
Posts18,492,791
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.