-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess things really are bigger in TX. Don't know that I've ever had a pocket where I would carry my G20!

You win smile

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by John_Boy
Aluminum J frame S&W or the Taurus clone.

Or a Kahr PM9 but the pockets have to be large enough. Not blue jeans (for me at least)

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
Now keep in mind when you read that article, that is what I found out for ME. I found it out the hard way, and I kept wandering back to the sub-compact 9�s�keep them a few months, and then realize, oh yeah, they really don�t carry all that well in a holster for me.

Now honestly, I have carried guns as big as the Kahr 45 in my front pocket of some cargo style jeans, and even slightly bigger than that. Weight seems to be a bit more of an issue than size, but you get the jest. Each person has to learn for themselves, but I wrote that article in the hopes I could save some poor sap from doing it the hard way like I did�again, and again.

You mention "world class gunleather" in your article. What holsters have you found that fit this definition? I have a couple of Kramers and a DeSantis, what makes/models do you find to be the best?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duckster
You mention "world class gunleather" in your article. What holsters have you found that fit this definition? I have a couple of Kramers and a DeSantis, what makes/models do you find to be the best?

Surprising�

I use that term all the time, and I believe you�re the first to call me on that.

I�m positive there are many makers out there that make what I call �World Class� gunleather. For the most part, the short easy answer is, just not going cheap and buying the best holsters from the best makers.

In the grand scheme of things, even exhibition grade holsters aren�t as expensive as a world class handgun. But if you�re looking to carry a handgun on a very regular basis, your choice of gunleather could be even more important than your choice of handguns. Let�s be honest, most pistols you buy today (within reason of course) are more than adequate to get a guy through an incident that would require a civilian to employ his sidearm. But the holster is worn every day, and every hour that you�re wearing your britches. So you really need a holster that carries secure, and comfortable. Inexpensive holsters are often not secure at all. Cheap belt clip holsters can break, fall off the belt, often don�t hold the weapon very securely, etc. And the best holsters from the best makers will last decades; probably outlive you.

What you want from a holster:

Leather should be top quality, not too thick, not too thin. What�s too thick? Bianchi is the worst offender of too thick. Now honestly, when you�re talking a Cowboy holster, or most OWB holsters, then too thick is really not a problem, and will ensure that your holster will last. Galco is right behind Bianchi for too thick, but their concealment holsters are only slightly too thick; they�re tolerable. Too thin � Really too thin is only too thin when it�s not able to hold its shape, and hold a weapon securely. I have an IWB holster that I bought for my Taurus Millennium that is made by DeSanits. The quality is very good, but the leather is awfully thin, and I really question how it will do over the long haul. Only time will tell� I really hope I�m pleasantly surprised. The QUALITY of the leather, and how the maker treated the leather, can make a too thick or too thin holster good.

Secure � For an open top holster, be it IWB or OWB try this test. Put your gun & holster on. Now do a forward roll on the ground, then a backward role; your pistol shouldn�t have moved�yet when you reach for it, it slips out with a deliberate motion. That�s the standard I apply.

Design � Here�s where it gets interesting and rather subjective. Unfortunately, you kinda have to go through the trial and error thing to really find out what works for you from a design standpoint. But there are a few trends that I have noticed that have worked well for me:

IWB � Thin leather is always welcome, and put the belt loop or loops to the side of the holster, not on the holster. For visual reference, compare a Rosen ARG or a Sparks Versa Max II to the Sparks Summer Special. Back in the day the Summer Special was THE holster, but those that move the loops to the side seem to always be more comfortable. The ARG is nice because the holster actually moves up and down some as you move; works out pretty well.

OWB � With OWB holsters for concealment, I�m far from being an expert, but I�ve noticed they stay secure, and well concealed when the holster holds much or most of the gun above the belt line. Obviously you can�t do that with just any gun, but I have pulled it off with a Hi Power in a Galco Avenger.

Some makers I have personal experience with and will recommend: Milt Sparks, Mitch Rosen, HBE Specialty Leatherworks, Kramer, El Paso Saddlry. That�s a small list, because my bank account is small. I�m confident there are many truly world class makers out there that I�ll never know about. Crossbreed is one that I have seen, but have yet to actually try myself; but I hear nothing but praise about their product.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jaywalker
Too Heavy for Pocket Carry?

For my likes, anything much more than an Airweight J-frame is to heavy.......I carry the J a lot in my front pocket of both (sort of loose) jeans as well as other casual pants.

By contrast, a baby Glock (26/27) is too heavy.

As for holsters, I strongly prefer Brommeland for an IWB; they are thin, stiff enough to hold shape very well & have more forward cant than the VMII, which I like. They are comparable in price to the Sparks, so not cheap, but they won't break the bank either.

I also use shoulder holsters quite a bit, especially when in the car a lot & for the money & usefulness, the Galco Miami Classic or the Jackass works very well at a reasonable cost. I always have to adjust the retention of the snap though to get to a good point of keeping the gun in, but being easy enough to break it open with reasonable thumb effort with one hand only, they are always too tight as received.

MM

Brommeland IWB

[Linked Image]

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Last Saturday I bought a Kahr P 380. 9.9 oz empty. I can see my wife running it through the washing machine very soon.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
it's not so much the weight of the handgun, it's the amount of room in the pocket, and the pocket depth.
Any good seamstress can provide you with a pocket geared toward concealed carry.

Sam......

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by gunner500
5" all steel 1911 Springfield, they are not heavy at all, the weight is around your waist, after a bit you forget it's there.

Gunner

Where's that dang sarcasm font when you need it...
grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
KG - thanks for the info but

"Secure � For an open top holster, be it IWB or OWB try this test. Put your gun & holster on. Now do a forward roll on the ground, then a backward role; your pistol shouldn�t have moved�yet when you reach for it, it slips out with a deliberate motion. That�s the standard I apply."

Holy crap! I am not sure I can even DO a forward and backward roll!

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Originally Posted by gunner500
5" all steel 1911 Springfield, they are not heavy at all, the weight is around your waist, after a bit you forget it's there.

Gunner

Where's that dang sarcasm font when you need it...
grin

What chu talkin bout Doc? like you aint wore a 120 lb Woman around your waist just like the rest of us, dem pistolas are light. laugh

Gunner

Trump Won!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I only pocket carry when I have to. I tried it with some of the smaller steel guns and the glock 26/27, but they were too heavy for me. Now I only carry the LCP in the pocket, and that's only when I have to. Otherwise it's on the belt.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On my days off,in jeans, I've tried the back pocket with my XDS..not comfortable and too much shows...

Last edited by rifle; 02/01/13.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To augment the holster/pocket carry argument a touch keep the following things in mind.

1. You may be skinny or have a small frame like me. So a full size, and many mid size print.

2. Try 100 degrees with 100% humidity and see if you don't carry a j frame in your shorts pocket.

Climate largely dictates clothing, and your body type can also dictate where/how a pistol is carried. Just food for thought.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Well, the Kahr K9 is too heavy for my pocket, to my way of thinking, but I'd sure hate to rule it out for SD simply because of that. I suppose it boils down to what you have confidence in - if it's a Commander-sized piece, then there you go. In these ammo-shortage days, I won't be breaking in any new handguns that require 300 rounds for confidence, anyway.

Then again, I might come back a year from now and say, "Kevin, you were right - I never should have spent money on a good Kahr holster when I could have spent the same amount on one for my Browning HP."

B
B
I have found, at least for me, that a good high quality belt designed for concealed carry makes a lot of difference along with the proper holster designed for the pistol you choose to carry, I carry a Glock 27, In a leather half holster on a really good belt and I can carry in the small of the back, in front, or on either side. The G27 isn't that big but it isn't small. I think the true answer is to also own a pocket or mouse gun, that you will carry in the pocket of a pair of summer shorts. They are not that expensive. I have a Baretta .32 Tomcat that I love. It is very well made and it just always works at the range when I practice with it. The answer probably it different for each of us. That is why it is good to hear the input and ideas of others.

Last edited by bootcamp; 02/01/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Sig P938 carries great in a jeans pocket in a Ritchie pocket holster. I only carry it as a primary, though, when in a gun unfriendly city in warm weather.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
[Linked Image]

Damn Hawkeye You're a lot better looking than I thought, and yes that S&W M&P looks good on you!

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I prefer pocket carry. Kahr PM9 w/CT most days, S&W 642 also w/CT from time to time, especially after traveling by air due to ease of showing unloaded to antsy counter agents. In dress suits/dress slacks I often pocket carry a Kel-Tec P32 since the fabric is much lighter and also due to hugging at church/weddings/funerals.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 16penny, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 49 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,443
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.