Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Speaking of Sporter style barrels.. #1, #2, and #3. If looking to build semi-lightweight rig that will still shoot well... 7-7.25 lbs. The more barrel the betterl I believe, but at what point does balance issues come up and how much is too much??? For intended purposes I mean. Will a fluted #3 come out close to a #2 in weight? Based on a 23" barrel. Caliber will be either .260 or 7/08. With edge stocks with a 14" LOP, is a #2 (fluted or not) enough barrel? Orrr, do you stay with a fluted #3? I'm hung up on feel and balance more than weight right now. I've measured several of my current rifles muzzle OD to get a good idea, but it's still confusing because the edge stock is a variable I can't adjust for, 23oz vs ~40oz for my BDL wood. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get an order in to Brux as quickly as possible.

Last edited by 7mmaniac; 01/31/13.

Thank God for Mississippi!
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure if your target weight is scoped or just the rifle, but...

I'm not sure why you need the Edge...unless you just want it. Gracious knows I've got piles of stuff that I just *wanted*. The bottom gun in this pic is a 7mm-08. 21" Pacnor barrel. McM stock that is obviously not an edge fill. With this relatively heavy 2.5-10x50 Diavari atop, it weighs a few ounces over 8 pounds. Sounds like you could save some dollars on your stock.

[Linked Image]

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Double check with Brux BUT I don't believe they will make you a #2 stainless steel barrel in 260 or 7-08 so by default if you want to stick with Brux a #3 fluted or not is about it.

Hopefully more will chime in about this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is a Shilen #3 chambered in 25-06. Hunters Edge stock. Scoped with a 6x42, it weighs 7.25# on the button.

[Linked Image]

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got #2 Harts on a 25-06, 260 remington and a 6.5-06. They shoot wonderfully and can't see needing more barrel weight. The 6.5-06 and 260 both sit in edges and both balance wonderfully. Not to say a #3 wouldn't be nice, just like lighter in these types of chamberings.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a big fan of both the 7mm-08 and Brux barrels, especially their #3 contour which IMHO is about the perfect contour.

I just got a newly built 7mm-08 last week with a fluted Brux #3 finished @ 22.5". It sits in a Classic Edge stock, the naked rifle weighs 6 lbs 4 ozs, with scope I'm at 7 lbs 4 ozs and the balance is just slightly weight forward - for me its just right.
And, like BurinDupont already posted, don't think Brux does a #2 on a 7mm.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
I'm a big fan of both the 7mm-08 and Brux barrels, especially their #3 contour which IMHO is about the perfect contour.

I just got a newly built 7mm-08 last week with a fluted Brux #3 finished @ 22.5". It sits in a Classic Edge stock, the naked rifle weighs 6 lbs 4 ozs, with scope I'm at 7 lbs 4 ozs and the balance is just slightly weight forward - for me its just right.

How much weight do the flutes save you on a Brux#3?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If I went #2, I'd get CM and cerakote it anyway. MSHuntfish that is a fine lookin stick you got there. That's the look I'm going for, thanks for the info.

Oregonmuley.. You help make my decision for me. Lookin like a fluted #3. Sounds like a nice rifle you got going there. I'd love a picture.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm looking for light and handy with all the barrel I can get. Woods hunting, box blinds, power lines, etc. A lightweight rifle that can still bring it at 500.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by 7mmaniac
I'm trying to get an order in to Brux as quickly as possible.

I hope you ordered today since their prices jump tomorrow...

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a 7mm-08 and a 25-06 both with hart #2 barrels they shoot great and I see no need to go bigger in contour

I also have two nula model 20 with douglas #2

gene

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 7mmaniac
If I went #2, I'd get CM and cerakote it anyway. MSHuntfish that is a fine lookin stick you got there. That's the look I'm going for, thanks for the info.

Oregonmuley.. You help make my decision for me. Lookin like a fluted #3. Sounds like a nice rifle you got going there. I'd love a picture.

Here you go!! Just got this last week, Beanland built 7mm-08, my 2nd one from Jon and my 2nd Brux. I sure like them:)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Forgot to say that if you do go with a #3 Brux 7mm check with Bugholes on the Hide, Greg usually has these in stock for you. Good guy to deal with.

"Team 7MM-08"
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have a "0" FW Brux...it shoots great.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This schit always cracks me the [bleep] up,as you idiots are always trying fresh ways to get the cart in front of the horse and the "CM" muse was hilarious,all by itself!

I've no interest in changing your "mind",because the humor quotient would fall flat on it's face and it'd be no fun if your delusions weren't fueled with Myths,Wives Tales,Imagination and Pretend...as your "data base".

I'd state that it's pretty [bleep] easy to ring the bell by forgetting numerical designators and stipulating otherwise,as in Mountain Rifle Contour,then denote a shank length in conjunction to inlet and balance/handling preferences,but that would be far toooooooooooo easy,make far toooooooooooo much sense and [bleep] your Pipe Dream all up.

Would add also,if only for conversation,that I had a 7mm tube once and even chambered in 7-08 and in contours both shy and exceeding your muse. Would also add that I've prolly had other bores sizes too and in a few different chambering to boot. Might even mention there's a single centerfire chambering in which I've (13) rifles and that their contours again,more than run the gamut on both sides of your muse.

You keep "believing" that "the more barrel the better" and be sure to chime in with your findings,it'll be funny! Perhaps quantify same with your Bigfoot Sightings,Alien Abduction Stories and how Santy Claus writes you back,if only to lend credence to your "experience" and "insight". Laffin'!

You HAD To be born in Texas.

Wow.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by BurninDupont
Double check with Brux BUT I don't believe they will make you a #2 stainless steel barrel in 260 or 7-08 so by default if you want to stick with Brux a #3 fluted or not is about it.

Hopefully more will chime in about this.

I'm newer at this than most of you guys......

Why would Brux not make a #2 contour in a .284 diameter? Are they saying that would leave too little barrel thickness for safety sake? Or something else?

I know other barrel makers that offer #2 contours for .284 bores. Lilja, Hart, ect.

Would really like to know.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Its for safety sake with very cold temperatures causing stainless to become brittle and burst according to Krieger etc. If you want a small stainless contour just order one from the maker that provides it and you should be fine!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Its for safety sake with very cold temperatures causing stainless to become brittle and burst according to Krieger etc. If you want a small stainless contour just order one from the maker that provides it and you should be fine!

Yup that, I think Krieger will only go down to a #4 in stainless as I recall?? And Brux, they will do a #2 I think in a 6mm but not a 7mm.

"Team 7MM-08"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Boxer
This schit always cracks me the [bleep] up,as you idiots are always trying fresh ways to get the cart in front of the horse and the "CM" muse was hilarious,all by itself!

I've no interest in changing your "mind",because the humor quotient would fall flat on it's face and it'd be no fun if your delusions weren't fueled with Myths,Wives Tales,Imagination and Pretend...as your "data base".

I'd state that it's pretty [bleep] easy to ring the bell by forgetting numerical designators and stipulating otherwise,as in Mountain Rifle Contour,then denote a shank length in conjunction to inlet and balance/handling preferences,but that would be far toooooooooooo easy,make far toooooooooooo much sense and [bleep] your Pipe Dream all up.

Would add also,if only for conversation,that I had a 7mm tube once and even chambered in 7-08 and in contours both shy and exceeding your muse. Would also add that I've prolly had other bores sizes too and in a few different chambering to boot. Might even mention there's a single centerfire chambering in which I've (13) rifles and that their contours again,more than run the gamut on both sides of your muse.

You keep "believing" that "the more barrel the better" and be sure to chime in with your findings,it'll be funny! Perhaps quantify same with your Bigfoot Sightings,Alien Abduction Stories and how Santy Claus writes you back,if only to lend credence to your "experience" and "insight". Laffin'!

You HAD To be born in Texas.

Wow.

I'm sure there are plenty of less experienced/knowledgeable folks on here (like myself) that are trying to learn a little something and trying new things to see what works and what doesn't. I have been asking the same questions for a couple of weeks now trying to figure out what I want. Not speaking for everyone, but do you really find that you added anything valuable to this thread with that smart a$$ remark???? Hope you got off while typing that. Go ice your nuts.

You'll shoot your eye out
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

Yup that, I think Krieger will only go down to a #4 in stainless as I recall?? And Brux, they will do a #2 I think in a 6mm but not a 7mm.

Wonder why there would be so much difference in the minimum contour that different barrel makers will produce?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1234, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,014
Posts18,481,586
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.