Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
By "best value", I am looking for a combination of price and performance. Some of the models I have considered are Leupold VX R Patrol, Leupold VX-3 1.5-5, Vortex Viper PST 1-4, Nikon M223 1-4, Nikon African, Burris XTR (probably above my price range if new), etc.

How important is the 30mm vs. 1" construction for what is mainly a hobby rifle? Also, how important is an illuminated reticle in case the weapon is ever pressed into service?

Thanks.

GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Price wise this a little below the others that you have mentioned but I have been really impressed with the Weaver V3, 1-3 that I have on my AR. Adjustments track great, very durable thus far, very clear as well. Of course a little more wouldn't hurt but for the money it is hard to go wrong with this one.

Nick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm considering a Burris E1 2-7. Anybody have experience with one? Gives a little more on the top end if you can deal if 2x on the bottom.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Midway has the export version of the 1-4x XTR on sale currently.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/81...ted-xtr-ballistic-556-gen2-reticle-matte

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If the XTR is too pricy, consider the Burris MTAC 1-4x24 at around $400

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
All are good scopes for the money. I honestly don't think 30mm vs 1" makes a lick of difference in durability - just pick the scope you like for features and get whatever rings fit it's tube size.

I just picked up that Viper PST for my AR, and most of those you mentioned were on my short list. I also A-B compared it to the FFP SWFA 1-4 (at SWFA). FWIW, the SWFA offering is slightly more robust and a few oz heavier, has an extra bright setting for illumination in bright sunlight, and $300 more expensive. I really like the PST reticle, illumination for dusk piggy hunts, price, and warranty. I thought the eyebox and glass compared favorably to the Trijicon accupoint, which I think has great glass and an interesting no-battery reticle system but is nearly twice as expensive. Only downside really is the illumination is NOT readily visible in bright sun like a red dot, especially on lighter colored targets. However, on really dark targets or looking into shadows, the reticle lights up enough to provide great contrast - and still shows up "black" on light targets. For me this was just fine. Always best if you can do a side by side comparison, but that's not easy for a lot of us.

Also to be considered is the mount. I splurged on a Bobro quick release mount (comparable to the Larue 104 in weight and performance), and am really glad I did. With the scope mounted all the way forward in the mount, I have a lot of flexibility in quickly moving it along the receiver top. Though I didn't think at first this would be very useful, as I was not planning on moving it once set, being able to tweak the scope location depending on how stretched or compressed my stock is set is really neat. For example, when I want to take my 10yo son to the range and collapse the stock for better LOP, the optic can easily be moved with good retained zero and maintain proper eye relief.

Best,
C.

Last edited by CharlieKilo98; 01/30/13.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I now have 4 Leupold VX-1 1x4 Turkey/Muzzleloader scopes. Two have the Heavy Duplex, only available from the Custom Shop. The other two have the Pig Plex reticle, which in the VX-2 is some $500. None cost more than $235. Not tactical, but then who really needs a TAC scope? Three of them are on AR's, while the 4th is on a GSR. Good quality and have the old VX-2 glass as a really good price. The Pig-Plex has a nice Ballistic-plex like stadia wires for shots to 400-500 yards depending on the cartridge.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

I considered the MTAC, but I came to the conclusion that I did not like the looks of the MTAC reticle. I guess I should look at one in person before I make this judgment, but just from pictures that I saw on the Internet, including actual photos through the scope, the reticle just looks too "in your face" for my tastes. Is it better in real life?

Here is a look at the MTAC reticle:

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I am running a Bushnell Elite 3200 1.5x4.5x32mm Firefly Rifle Scope on my 16" Bushmaster M4 ORC. I have had this scope on my Bushmaster since day one with zero problems. I carry this Bushmaster daily in my patrol vehicle but also use it as my main Coyote Calling Carbine.

In South Dakota Electronic Reticle Scopes for Hunting used to fall under our spotlight law and as such can only be used from sunrise to sunset. Just this past year that law was changed and now electronic sights are legal for hunting in South Dakota.

The Bushnell Elite 3200 Firefly Riflescope is not electronic but rather simply shining a flashlight into the eye piece illuminates the special reticle that glows a soft green.

I would call this a Tri Plex Reticle as there are 3 different thicknesses of crosshair. The outter two thicknesses of crosshair are the only thing that illuminates though. Now that we can use Electronic Reticles in optics for Hunting in South Dakota I really see no need to upgrade from my Bushnell Elite 3200 as it has given me years of good service and is continuing to do so.

Larry

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by HugAJackass

I just put an MTAC on my AR and so far, am extremely satisfied with it.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter

The nikon african with a #4 reticle interests me. I've been tossing that around for a while now. Seems to be well suited for an AR. Might just do it.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I have a 1.5-5 Leupold illuminated VX3 in a Larue mount that has been used heavily. It saw more use in an average rotation in the middle east, than a typical optic would likely see in 10 lifetimes stateside.

It did it rotation after rotation, getting tons of kit and weapons piled on top of it at times too (when not being carried)and never had a shift in zero.

I consider it money very well spent. "Cheap" optics are never a bargain.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks. May I ask what reticle you prefer?

According to Leupold's website, the 1.5-5 illuminated appears to be available in German 4 Dot, Duplex and Circle Dot.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a VX-R 1.25-4 with the fancy "Pig Plex" reticle on my AR-10 carbine. You get an illuminated dot with it. So far, no gripes. At distance it works well enough that the last three shots went into one hole, at 100 yards.

I may eventually move that one to another rifle, and get a VX-R 3-9 Patrol for the AR10. The rifle can certainly reach way out there.

[Linked Image]

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have a 1.5-5 Leupold illuminated VX3 in a Larue mount that has been used heavily. It saw more use in an average rotation in the middle east, than a typical optic would likely see in 10 lifetimes stateside.

It did it rotation after rotation, getting tons of kit and weapons piled on top of it at times too (when not being carried)and never had a shift in zero.

I consider it money very well spent. "Cheap" optics are never a bargain.
Did you prefer a scope or an eotech/aimpoimt type? I'm presently looking at switching to a low power set up like you mentioned but I'm not quite sure. I have an eotech on there now, had an aimpoint before. Just not sure what I want. I dont hunt with this AR, its more of a range/defensive setup. Thanks

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
natchez used to have the Weaver V3 for $144. The price is up to $164, now. For about $45 more, you can get this at Midsouth:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00024114933

That's the Leupold VX-Hog. Think it's essentially a VX1 scope in 1-4x20. Looked through a buddy's the other day, and I was impressed. You may or may not like the reticle. The VX-R Hog looks nice, but is twice the price.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
THIS IS NOT MINE AND I HAVE NO AFFILIATION! FYI as a reference only.
In the classifieds here on 24Hr.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...S_Leupold_VX3_1_5_5x20_Illum#Post7389177

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I never needed a lit reticle at night or low light situations. Where I wanted a lit reticle was for daylight to use sort of as a red dot like Trijicon does but Leupold's don't shine bright enough for day use.

For the money, I'm still looking hard at a vx6 1-6, that scope was impressive to me. Standard vx3's in 1.5-5 served me well and for the price are hard to beat.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The standard VX3 1.5-5x20 is a one-inch scope. The illuminated 1.5-5 is listed on Leupold's website with a 20mm objective, but it has a 30mm tube.

Is it possible that the 1" and 30mm scopes both have a 20mm objective? In my way of thinking, it would be difficult to see how the 30mm scope could have a 20mm objective lens.

If the 30mm objective is, in fact, larger than 20mm (maybe 24mm or 25mm), would it be appreciably better in low light regardless of the illuminated reticle?

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Both are 20mm but I've never had trouble with light gathering on the 1" version.

The vx6 1-6 is a 30mm tube but uses a 24mm objective. It's a nice scope but at $800, that's twice the price of a standard 1.5-5 it would depend on how bad you want a true(er) 1x and take on the bigger heavier scope. (I'm trying to talk myself out of it btw)

But dang the glass is better than my mk4's or Zeiss conquest...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 71 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,899
Posts18,479,316
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.