Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Reminds me of when my best friend and I were squirrel hunting when we were kids. Back then, the middle school actually had split shifts for the kids, due to the number of students, and Will was in the early shift. School started at 5:30 am for him.

Well, one afternoon we managed to get out and hunt some squirrels. We were sitting about 50 yrds apart and I noticed ol' Willy dozing off. About 15 mins into his afternoon nap under a hickory nut tree, I see him suddenly jump up, wildly kicking his leg around! Suddenly, he starts shooting in the ground right in front of him, as fast as he could load his single barrel 20 ga!!!

I take off running towards him. That's when I see a 2ft copperhead, cut in to 3 or 4 pcs from the loads of #6's
Will's as white as a ghost. He then tells me what happened. He's long into dreaming about large racked 8pt bucks, when he feels something on his upper thigh. He clears his head enough to know he wasn't daydreaming about a little blonde down the road, and his pants leg shouldn't be bulging and squirming around. At the same time, he sees just the tip of a small tail sticking out his pants leg, and wiggling like a worm!! He jumps up, kicks his leg, and out comes 2 feet of copperhead!!! Just like Will, I think the fella was just looking for a afternoon nap!
After that little adventure, it was a couple of weeks before we braved the woods behind our neighborhood again...

Last edited by santeerangerman; 02/01/13.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickBin
This is one reason I hate snakes.

Same thing happened with this Mojave Green!

[Linked Image]

The hair on the back of my neck is up right now!

Heeesh!

I guess the snow isn't so bad after all. wink

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Man that was hard to find. Talking about camo!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Been there (not intentionally) boot on head. Hate that. It was a "little" prairie rattler rather than a coontail, But the biggest prairie rattler I have seen yet.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Damn Roger... You got that sucker trained pretty good. grin

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Holy ship. Thats a big snake.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
[quote=stxhunter] [Linked Image]

Joking aside, that photograph is a prime example of the reason I just can't make myself comfortable with BIG dot express sights on a pistol. Man in your position has to take a FINE bead on that monster to keep from marking up his ostrich skin ropers.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by rob p
They say we don't have any poisonous snakes here.

Can't speak for RI, but in MA we do have Timber Rattlesnakes and copperheads. Super rare, but they're native. I've never seen one, and don't know any friends who have. There are sightings every year or so at the Blue Hills Reservation, however, just outside Boston.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by ingwe
Puff Adders the same way Sheridan, I have never seen a snake rely so much on his own camo as a Puff adder...not even a copperhead and Ive been 'danger close' to too many of them...

puff adders are also just plain lazy bastards that refuse to move unless stepped on if they think they are sitting next to a excellent prey trail.....they just hope you will go away and not scare their next meal and they damn sure aint gonna run away and leave their spot....

Also the Rhino Viper - amazingly cryptic. Come to think of it, most species of Bitis use camouflage to their advantage. (Bitis peringueyi would be another example.)

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
IC B3

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I haven't seen a snake, poisonous or not since the dang wild hogs invaded this area.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rob p
They say we don't have any poisonous snakes here. I never saw one... until I went to visit my Dad's side of the family in Oklahoma! My first day there I was fishing with my Uncle Ralph and a cottonmouth slithered between my legs down into the water sick A couple days later, I was fishing in a little cove on Table Rock Lake in Missouri with my Dad's Sister. A skier went by and flipped my canoe. I dragged it to shore and came up over the edge of a little berm to end up nose to nose with a little copperhead sick Those were the only two poisonous snakes I've seen. I have a hard time imagining them at every step in the woods down South and out West. Spiders too.
My wife's uncle lived on Table Rock 'til he died and left it to one of his kids. I've been on Table Rock many times, dating back to when I was a kid. I've seen snakes in the water there, but don't recall seeing one on land. They've got several, including a Copperhead IIRC, at the Fish Hatchery right below the dam though. They are certainly around.

Across the state line from either of the states you mentioned, we've got almost anything you want. Massaguas, Prairie or Timber Rattler, if you prefer. Copperheads, Puff Adders. The Fish and Game say we don't have Cottonmouth's, but I'm pretty sure that's what I saw my Dad kill years back. A friend of mine said his dad had them on a place west of me that is now his. He chopped one open with a hoe down by their 'crick and all these baby snakes fell out. They had a hot little time killin' 'em all, but I think he said they did. They killed a Puff Adder at my Grandpa's a couple of miles north of here, back in the old days. I've never seen one though. Wicki says they're harmless but they look mean.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by websterparish47
I haven't seen a snake, poisonous or not since the dang wild hogs invaded this area.
Hogs are supposed to be hell on snakes, but I saw a snake slither right through my cousin's boar pen years ago. He had like three Boars in there and they just ignored it.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Hogs are supposed to be hell on snakes, but I saw a snake slither right through my cousin's boar pen years ago. He had like three Boars in there and they just ignored it.

They must have been well fed.

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by santeerangerman
Reminds me of when my best friend and I were squirrel hunting when we were kids. Back then, the middle school actually had split shifts for the kids, due to the number of students, and Will was in the early shift. School started at 5:30 am for him.

Well, one afternoon we managed to get out and hunt some squirrels. We were sitting about 50 yrds apart and I noticed ol' Willy dozing off. About 15 mins into his afternoon nap under a hickory nut tree, I see him suddenly jump up, wildly kicking his leg around! Suddenly, he starts shooting in the ground right in front of him, as fast as he could load his single barrel 20 ga!!!

I take off running towards him. That's when I see a 2ft copperhead, cut in to 3 or 4 pcs from the loads of #6's
Will's as white as a ghost. He then tells me what happened. He's long into dreaming about large racked 8pt bucks, when he feels something on his upper thigh. He clears his head enough to know he wasn't daydreaming about a little blonde down the road, and his pants leg shouldn't be bulging and squirming around. At the same time, he sees just the tip of a small tail sticking out his pants leg, and wiggling like a worm!! He jumps up, kicks his leg, and out comes 2 feet of copperhead!!! Just like Will, I think the fella was just looking for a afternoon nap!
After that little adventure, it was a couple of weeks before we braved the woods behind our neighborhood again...

The Copper Head had found him a little buddy up the pant leg and was going to mate

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

NRA Lifetime Member
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hog hunting in Georgia was the first time I ever saw one. Hope not to see any more of those copperheads pretty but deadly.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
[quote=stxhunter] [Linked Image]

Joking aside, that photograph is a prime example of the reason I just can't make myself comfortable with BIG dot express sights on a pistol. Man in your position has to take a FINE bead on that monster to keep from marking up his ostrich skin ropers.

Actually I think STX would just reach down with his Pig Sticker and cut it's head off..... grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Yeah, but he is tough, and I ain't. I'm scared.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
RI has copperheads, as does CT & MA. Not going to be real common, as the upper range trails off there. Apparaently they dont make it as far north as ME. What with global warming and all, I'd figure MA will be over run with copperheads by the summer. ;-)

Lots of them in NJ, but whats even more remarkable is how many people mis identify the fiesty and very common but harmless northern water snake for a copperhead.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

503 members (260Remguy, 1minute, 270cowboy, 257 roberts, 1badf350, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,424
Posts18,489,150
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.