Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I shot a Raghorn bull one year with the 308 and 150 TSX's. Muzzle velocity was 2850fps.He was about 80 yards away, slightly quartering away. I found the bullet under the skin on the off side. It entered behind the shoulder and exited through the off side shoulder going through the bottom of the shoulder blade. It weighed 130 grains and was missing 2 petals.

GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Not a ttsx but the hornady gmx, which is their version of the tipped mono copper bullet.

savage 99 308, 150gr gmx, H4895, mv 2650, cow elk 150 ish, drt.

I did it to prove a magnum isn't necessary on elk.

Also had a hunter shoot a spike with a 150 ttsx out of a 3006 with factory ammo... heart shot at 300 yds, wobbled around and fell over promptly.

Kent

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Of course I can easily take out a cow @ 150 yds with my 22/250 does that prove that the .308 isn't necessary on elk...? smile

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
And the same year of those two examples (2010) I was involved in 8 archery bull kills.

So no, even a 22/250 isn't necessary.

Kent

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
308 Win 2800 fps 150TTSX. Shot was ~100 yds almost directly facing with the cow standing at a down-hill angle. Aimed at the base of the neck/chest junction. She was on the gound before I could work the bolt. Bullet excited so I don't can't say what it looked liked but it 'worked' in this instance.

[Linked Image]

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
IC B2

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Nice example for the OP.

Anyway, since this has turned to a bullet failure thread. I thought the bullet pictured was a TSX from a couple years ago. If I'm thinking right, then has anyone had a TTSX fail to open with the plastic tip pushing inward?

Kent

D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
There certainly is a lot of �speculation� by posters here which is why I only post if I have a question or first-hand experience. I�m pretty sure Brad�s bullet was a TTSX.

I shoot all makes of bullets and do not claim to have near the experience of some here. I do know that faced to choose a type of failure on a large animal, I would prefer a failure to expand and still have good penetration vs a blow-up and little penetration. Two holes also makes for easier tracking if necessary.

A hunter really needs to consider the shot presentation he is willing to take or pass when choosing a bullet. I knew on this hunt that shots would probably be close and fast in the timber, likely involving bone and some tough angles. Honestly, I was also packing loads with 150g BTSP as a softer bullet if I did get a longer broadside opportunity. Both loads shoot to the same POI which is nice.

Last edited by djb; 02/04/13.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by krp
I thought the bullet pictured was a TSX from a couple years ago.

TTSX.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Thanks for the clarification... if we had a better search engine I probably could have figured it out myself.

Does put a fly in the ointment of the TTSX/GMX equation.

Kent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Brad's is the only TTSX failure that I'm aware of. The much worshiped Nosler Partition has had a failure or two along the way, as well. Even the best bullets are not impervious to failure.

IC B3

C
ctpa61 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Again thank you for all of the replies. Living in the East there is really no need for anything other than the standard cup and core bullets for deer and varmits, so it is nice to hear from guys that have used other kinds of bullets.

There is a reason why you never hear of anyone shooting a 308 winchester AI.... It can't be improved upon!! Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Brad's is the only TTSX failure that I'm away of. The much worshiped Nosler Partition has had a failure or two along the way, as well. Even the best bullets are not impervious to failure.

Jordan, I'm aware of dozens of TSX failures, but agree I've not heard of many (if any) TTSX failures. Will say, one thing I don't like about these expensive bullets is their small velocity-expansion window.

As to the Partition, I've never actually seen or heard of a failure, other than one gunwriter who used a 150 NP from a 300 WBY and wasn't happy when it came apart. Doh.

NP's have been used 100-fold time more than the expanding mono's and there are far more problems with the mono's. I think anyone can see that if they've been paying attention.

But your point about the TTSX's is heard loud and clear.

But that doesn't change the shabby results I had.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The PT is definitely a reliable bullet. There's no arguing about that. I've only ever seen 1 that came completely unglued. And I fully recognize and give credit to your TTSX failure. All I'm saying is that while the TSX seems to have several documented cases of failing to expand sufficiently, the TTSX is a completely different bullet, and the documented cases of failure are limited to 1, AFAIK, so it seems like Barnes has improved upon the reliability problem significantly with this rendition of the X bullet design.

I'm not sure that failure to expand is a significant problem associated with the tipped monos, anymore. You've seen 1 TTSX failure, and I've seen 1 PT failure. Neither case means that said bullet is a bad one, nor that it's not generally reliable or worth using.

Have a good one, Brad.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
About 4 years go I shot a nice interior grizzly with a .300 win mag and 200gr. TSX's. About 150 yards away and hit him just a bit behind the shoulder. Bear rolled out of sight and it took about 10 minutes to get where he was shot. No blood hair anything. Slowly made my way down the hill and hear some "popping" sounds in the brush to my left. Here was the bear walking slowly up hill and very much alive. Two more shots through the brush into his chest, and the bear turned and faced me. My last shot hit him at the base of the neck and that was it... rolled over dead. That shot exited his hump and blew a piece of spine out with a 2" exit hole. When skinning the bear There were very small holes right through his lungs. No mushed up stuff just almost perfect little holes. The shot that hit his neck/spine was a different story massive damage. We even had to look really hard to find the small exit holes on the shots through his lungs. he had about 4-6" of meat and fat on his ribs that the bullets went through with little damage.
Now I will conceede that I should have busted him in the shoulder, but had any of those hits been with a 200 gr. partition the lungs would have been soup and it would have been over. Everyone jumped on me with all four feet when I felt the bullets pencilled through, but they sure as hell did. Anyway I still use Barnes bullets and have killed three elk with the TSX and the TTSX but have swithched to lighter bullets and try to shoot for "bone"
Though if I go after another bear with the .300, it will be loaded with 200gr partitions.

Lefty C

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could be wrong Lefty but b4 you went wasn't there a discussion on the Fire about maybe the 200 TSX wasn't the best bullet to be taking?

Thx
Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Dober,

Can't remember. plenty of discussion after though. like said though I still use and like Barnes bullets...but like partitions also. Used a lot of sierra Game kings to kill a bunch of stuff before I learned they wouldn't work. wink

Lefty

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Here is an animal taken with a TSX out of a 308 win.. No failure here.

[Linked Image]

Here is another TSX failure....

[Linked Image]

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hate it when Brad posts that picture and gives the details......here I sit with a 257 ROY that shoots 100 gr TSX's at 3620 fps and puts em into .5" wondering.......grin

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Quite happy with my TTSX (185gn .338) experience thus far. 6 bullets through critters and they all resulted in dead critters. All were pass throughs, including one that went diagonal through a lot of elk. I'll admit I was surprised at how small the exit hole was on that one. Blood trails were quite good though, no tracking required, and they are the most accurate bullet I've tried. Next up is a 160gn TTSX at ~3020FPS. Ought to be reasonably similar to a 150 out of a .30 cal.

Last edited by prm; 02/05/13.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've been playing with the TSX bullets, 100 gr. in .257 Robt., 120 and 140 gr. in 7x57 and .280 Rem. but so far have only killed paper with them. haven't found a load that makes me and my rifle happy, at least not yet. frown Onr the other hand, I have taken two cow elk with the 225 gr. TSX bullet and both were one shot kills down DRT. The first eas at 150 yards as the elk was quartering to the left. Bullet hit just behind the short ribs and exited between the neck and right shoulder. Cow elk dropped on the spot. Elk number was on Jan. 13 this year. Shot was about 325-350 yards andd the TSX broke her neck right at the base of the skull. Luckist shot I ever made and I'll state why. I was aiming for a heart lung shot and I called it right on when I squeezed the trigger. We were puzzled that we couldn't finf a hole in the chest and it wasn't until we got to the meat packers that we discovered where my bullet hit. THis did bother me and when I got home after the hunt, I took the rifle to the range a couple of days later and the scope was way off. I made adjustments and the group was about 6". shocked
This is a rifle that shoots sub-MOA on a very regular basis. I had a box of Remington factory 200 gr. loads that I wanted to shoot up anyway so went to the range again but with a differencr scope on the gun. After getting it on paper and properly sighted in, I shot the last 5 rounds for group and got a 1.25" group. Not too shabby as that rifle does not loke that load.
So yes, I got my elk and it was the luckiest shot I've ever made on game. I don't often name my rifles but that one has earned the name, "Elkslayer." grin
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.