-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My son's go kart (Yerf Dog) slipped the chain. You tighten by sliding the engine back, which I did. Now the clutch slips. frown Worked fine before.
Any ideas? (I tried dry wiping down the plates.)
Two pics and a video if you want to see the (in)action in process. Sad 10 year old was supposed to go riding tomorrow. blush
TIA for any help.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

GB1

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Looks like the drive side is just a bit crooked from when you loosened it up & then retightened? And/or a bit too loose. Plus maybe the belt got worn & is not engaging fully like it should, compounded by not being exactly square, which is important.

Looking at the video again, is there a key on the shaft on the driven side, that could be where it's slipping.

(I do see a keyway on the driven shaft. Something to check.)

Last edited by oulufinn; 02/02/13.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try a different belt size.

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oulufinn
Looks like the drive side is just a bit crooked from when you loosened it up & then retightened? And/or a bit too loose. Plus maybe the belt got worn & is not engaging fully like it should, compounded by not being exactly square, which is important.

Looking at the video again, is there a key on the shaft on the driven side, that could be where it's slipping.

(I do see a keyway on the driven shaft. Something to check.)
The 6 bolts you loosen to slide the engine back are in a 'channel' so there's no way to move it left/right only front/back. (pic below)
The reason I don't suspect belt wear is because it worked fine before it slipped the chain.
Not sure I follow what you are saying about a 'key on the shaft'? Thanks.

[Linked Image]

NRA Lifer
"It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world and moral courage so rare." - Mark Twain
"Everybody has principles... until they are an inconvenience." - Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know nuffin' about go karts but ...

If the chain is too tight there might be enough added resistance to cause the belt to slip. Make sure it's free wheeling and check the chain sprockets to see if they're properly aligned. I see a sprocket adjustment on the axle shaft.

Some coarse sandpaper will remove any glazing on the belt if that's a concern.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I see the slots the bolts go through, but I don't really mean sliding it far left, to right. More like the slop in the tolerance allows the motor to be slightly cocked, if the motor is not held straight when tightening. It looks just a bit off.

The keyway is the little slot in the big shaft of the driven clutch in the second picture in the first post. The key keeps the clutch from spinning on that shaft. You would have to remove the driven (big) clutch from that shaft to check it. Something made the chain come off, likely a hard hit, or something got in a severe bind. Chain/sprocket is rusty & could use a bit of lube, too. (A little goes a long way.) Friction there could cause it to jump, too.

Just troubleshooting from what I can see. No offense intended.

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How many times have you had to move the motor to take up slack in the chain? Kinda sounds like moving the engine back to snug up the chain has made it so that the clutches on the belt drive aren't able to get any more grip. Have you considered just taking a link out of the chain? Easy to do.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bruinruin
How many times have you had to move the motor to take up slack in the chain? Kinda sounds like moving the engine back to snug up the chain has made it so that the clutches on the belt drive aren't able to get any more grip. Have you considered just taking a link out of the chain? Easy to do.

This

....put the engine back to where the clutch WORKS,....than adjust chain tension by subtracting links,than maybe adding a half link.

Belt is WAY too loose, as pictured

Luck.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 02/02/13.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks like the rear pulley is slipping, As oulufinn said it may have lost the shaft key.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,270
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.