Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bb1379 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
looking at my first rifle build and i've narrowed my stock to these 2. mcmillan are just out of my price range. i'm leaning toward the medalist but would appreciate any comments on both. thanks

GB1

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I have both and they feel very sturdy for what they are. I have heard reports of the B&C's bedding blocks being a little off but that's a skim bedding job away.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I assume it's for a Rem 700?

Of the two, I have only had an HS. I would get the B&C, if only because they're about $100 or so cheaper than the HS. And I think B&C has made many stocks for Remington, so they've likely got the 700 inletting as good as HS. I also like B&C's "feel" better than HS, but that's entirely personal, as others prefer the HS feel.

HS has bedding block "issues" also, and both HS and B&C benefit from skim bedding.

I didn't care for the recoil pad on the HS--more like a recoil multiplier vs a recoil reducer. Bell and Carlson's webpage says the Medalist comes with a Decelerator, the same pad on my McM.

Overall, B&C is $100 cheaper, has an aluminum bedding block as good as HS that still needs skim bedded, and has a better recoil pad. JMO.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'v bedded a fistful of both for friends and shot most of those. I have shot HS stocks on work rifles for years too. I think they kick and are heavy. I'd take the B&C for the money.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Few months ago I ordered a hs stock for my remmy 700 aac.308. It came mucked up with the bedding back not set correctly as the barrel almost touched one side a quick call to hs, sent that sucker back. Got a new one in a week or so. I figured they would at least offer to pay for shipping their defective product back to them, but they did'nt offer! I've had some bc stocks chip and have air voids, that made holes. Stock's stocks is where I Normaly
buy from, they seem to have pretty good customer service when needed.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I use a lot of each. The bedding blocks seem to shoot better than the other mfg's stocks that require pillar bedding. All need bedding and free floating just my .02

Keep your head on the stock,wood on wood
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Both are pretty much identical in construction, including their bedding blocks.

Fit and feel are what you have to decide for yourself. I own each for the M700, and prefer the B&C due to it has checkering, a cheek piece, and real recoil pad.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I like the HS Precision even though the price seems to go up every time I order.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas
I assume it's for a Rem 700?

Of the two, I have only had an HS. I would get the B&C, if only because they're about $100 or so cheaper than the HS. And I think B&C has made many stocks for Remington, so they've likely got the 700 inletting as good as HS. I also like B&C's "feel" better than HS, but that's entirely personal, as others prefer the HS feel.

HS has bedding block "issues" also, and both HS and B&C benefit from skim bedding.

I didn't care for the recoil pad on the HS--more like a recoil multiplier vs a recoil reducer. Bell and Carlson's webpage says the Medalist comes with a Decelerator, the same pad on my McM.

Overall, B&C is $100 cheaper, has an aluminum bedding block as good as HS that still needs skim bedded, and has a better recoil pad. JMO.

Agree.

To me the HS is too thick in the comb and has an overly thick grip.

And, after HS saw fit to hire Lon Horiuchi, that Hawaiian FBI sniper who shot Randy Weavers wife at Ruby Ridge, I wrote them off as a vendor of anything I may want to buy. To me, HS thumbed their corporate nose at shooters, sucking up on the Govt. for lucrative military contracts. And, don't you know, ole Lon became a leading, influential govt. bureaucrat, Ruby Ridge only enhancing his career. HS made their choice, I made mine.

I do have an HS SPL in .240 Wby. I got it used, so HS didn't see a dime of that transaction.

I don't forget...

IHMO,

DF

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

Let me first reveal that I've ALWAYS PAID for my H-S and Bell & Carlson stocks ... gun writers commonly get their stocks free. I always insisted on buying mine.

I've used both and have worked with both companies.

I would highly recommend the Bell & Carlson Medalist rifle stock.

The H-S stock is not even close, in my opinion.

And the folks? I will not even relate my experiences with H-S; they are a piece of work. Bell & Carlson WINS this one readily.

Buy the Bell & Carlson Medalist and shoot the rifle first. If it needs help, throw some MarineTex at the receiver bedding system.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I always skim bed either HS or Medalist whether they need it or not. I just feel better about it. HS calls for 60 inch pounds of torque on the action screws probably to compensate for less than perfect fit between action and aluminum bedding. Skim bedding should eliminate some of those concerns. Makes me feel better, anyway.

DF

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've owned a few of both and prefer H-S over the B&C.

Honestly though, I can't stand either one unless we are talking about a heavy barreled rifle.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If that is true about HS hiring Lon Horiuchi, then I dont understand why anyone would even consider buying an HS.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by HeavyBarrel
If that is true about HS hiring Lon Horiuchi, then I dont understand why anyone would even consider buying an HS.

HeavyBarrel

IMO, most don't know about it and just buy the product.

Check it out on line.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by dogzapper
And the folks? I will not even relate my experiences with H-S; they are a piece of work. Bell & Carlson WINS this one readily.

Steve

Steve,

Your experience with the HS "brass" confirms what I'd imagine them to be. My only insight to their thinking is the Lon Horiuchi fiasco. And, to me, they'd have to be an arrogant, self serving bunch to pull that one off. Decent folk would shun Lon, even at the cost of govt. contracts. And, isn't it just like the govt. to parade Lon out there to find out which vendors will take the bait... blush

In other words, to become a govt. vendor, accepting and endorsing the "party line" is necessary to be a "team player" and win the contract. Lon was the litmus test.

Now, who be da ho?

I wouldn't go there, but that's just me... frown

DF

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have have 5 Bell & Carlson stocks . Best bang for the buck in my book. I hs stock on my Cz 527.....thinking hard about buying the newer CZ / B& C design forty gun. Never had. Mcmillian , probably very nice but I can buy 2 B & C stocks to one of the others. I o bed them. Good quality at a fair price. I know something they are a bit club like....I'm not on that feels that way. I have also found B & C nice to Orkney with. Come to think of it I have 6 ....one Cameron my Model 70 EW. Shoot strait.....goodshot

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, B&C Medalist may be the most bang for the buck.

McM, is the Cadillac, for sure. But they cost a lot more and take a LONG time to get. My last McM took 7 mo.

I can get a B&C Medalist from Brownells in a week. Stocky on line has them, too.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And if ya can find one, I've always liked the old Pacific Research/Rimrock line of syn stocks too, at 14" LOP, they fit me like a custom pair of boots.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have owned both stocks for various M700s. My experience with HS stocks has been poor. One stock had a really "generous" action area. I've heard of free floated barrels, but not actions.

My B&C stocks have been great whether they were Ti style stocks or the Medalist I have on my 223, which has been a lights-out shooter since I bolted it into the stock.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My HS is the only stock I have bought that actually fit correctly right out of the box, and that includes McMillan and B&C. I do like the ergos better on my McMillan and B&C though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, AdamT204, 11 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 709 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,956
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.