-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
pigpen Offline OP
OP Offline
Have never bought a Weaver.In the day I didn't think much of them except a lower grade scope,cheap one at that.Allot has changed and the best looking,might not be best performing,is the K4 80th anniversary steel tube fixed 4X.Reviews looked good.Hope it's not made in china,Philippines I'm OK with, but please not China.So someone got anything on this scope?Oh yes thanks lightfoot.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Back in the day Weaver scopes were considered top of the line.

Don't know anything about the new ones.

I've got a few old Weavers, not the same optics as my modern Leupolds...but I've got no complaints either. wink

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
If you never bought a Weaver, you missed out. They were always the best value in a clear, sharp, reliable scope. Yes, Redfield were a bit better as was Leupold but they were a lot more money.

I believe that, last time I checked, the only newly made in the US scopes are some models of Burris, Leupold and Redfield. There may be others, even including Weaver, but I don't have knowledge of them. My preference is for a US made scope.

Previously XLTFX4 on this site.
Life member NYSRPA.
Endowment Life member NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pigpen
Have never bought a Weaver.In the day I didn't think much of them except a lower grade scope,cheap one at that

Funny you say this because I remember that attitude well................But it WASN'T Weaver I remember.............It was SAVAGE............. At least that's how it was in New England. And that was the attitude until the mid 1970's. You could walk into almost any gunshop and by any Savage for about 1/3 the price of a Winchester or Remingtom. Pretty much the same for Marlin. You could buy them for short money as well. I presonally can remember setting up Weaver scopes on end in a sand pit and using them for targets with 22's. When I was a kid two things were HIGHLY rare. A Savage 99 OR ANY scope on a rifle. Pretty much just the "rich" guys had them. Scopes that I saw on rifles in order of frequency were Redfield, Leupold, Lyman and THEN Weaver. Today I have pretty much stopped buying Leupold, although I do have a box full of them. I concentrate on Lyman and Weaver. The Weaver, like the Savage 99 was ahead of it's time and WAY under appreciated. JMO.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Some Weaver's are made in China, some in the Philipines, some in Japan. Japan made Weavers seem to be on the way to the Philipines. And yes I won't buy China. Can't do it. They already own us.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I just bought a Classic K4, made by LOW in Japan, same as the Grand Slam and the Super Slam, it's sitting on top of a 99e and I really like it.

Last edited by CowboyTim; 02/03/13.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
No help here either. I checked over 15 web sites and not one of them lists were it is made. Google searchs mention El Paso, but also Japan, China and the Phillipines.
What I did find are a lot of 4-5 star reveiws. Even the 3 star reveiws claimed good for the money.
I'll remember this scope series when the time comes.
Sorry I couldn't help further.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get an older one and you'll know for sure what country it was made in.

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Had two Weavers in the 70's....both took on water and fogged during hunts in the rain. Have used Leupold's since and never had a problem.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Phil99

Rod

What he said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,TWICE........ grin grin

This is a 2.3 Lyman All American with PCH reticle. Pre perma center.

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Weaver scopes were considered junk and still may be junk. They were as cheap as it got.

The Lyman scopes were middle grade and B&L made a variable that was expensive for me then.

Today the Leupold scopes have excellent optics and look good.

That's a 2-7 Leu. on my primary 99 and there is an old 4X Lyman All American on the other.

Get a Leupold unless you snag some old B&L or an upscale Euro scope.

[Linked Image]

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The K series from the 50's were not junk. Yeah, Weaver made some cheap scopes, but they needed to get as much share of that market as they could or somebody else would have.

They K series were used by experienced rifleman then and many of them are still in service with experienced rifleman today.

Comparing them to modern optics and calling them junk...is ridiculous.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by 99guy
The K series from the 50's were not junk. Yeah, Weaver made some cheap scopes, but they needed to get as much share of that market as they could or somebody else would have.

They K series were used by experienced rifleman then and many of them are still in service with experienced rifleman today.

Comparing them to modern optics and calling them junk...is ridiculous.

Exactly correct.

Previously XLTFX4 on this site.
Life member NYSRPA.
Endowment Life member NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Weaver's current Rifle Scope line up:

Classic(K & V)-Japan
Grand Slam-Japan
Super Slam-Japan
40/44-Phillipines
Buck Commander-Taiwan
Kaspa-China

Hope that covers it.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a whole bunch of those old American made Weaver scopes for my old rifles. I have used them for a lot of years with very litte problem. can,t remeber every buying a new one, aways bought used ones cause they were cheaper.I still buy one once in a while at a gun show. the come with fine cross hair, a very small dot, a post, adjustable objective, and you find in the later years they made a widefield.
I also have two old Weaver 1X scopes, one has a post and the other has a small dot.

he was really moving when he went past here!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It seems the Weaver name is here with imported scopes.

While the Lyman name is important to me for scopes, handloading and their range and family here is a post on their scopes:

"Lyman has not manufactured scopes for quite some time. We have sold the last of our parts and fixtures to a company in Ohio, who is currently making repairs to the scopes. We would recommend you contact them directly at: Parsons Scope Service 2213 Smith Road PO Box 192 Ross, OH 45061 513-867-0820 psscopesconcentric.net"

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Back in the day El Paso Weavers had Leupold or Redfield optics with Tasco prices. That was one of the reasons that they went broke in '84. Their optics are still better than a lot of the junk that's on the market today.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To bad you had such a negative view on the old Weavers. Lots of folks had them....for years.

" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in the experience."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Had two Weavers in the 70's....both took on water and fogged during hunts in the rain. Have used Leupold's since and never had a problem.

I've just recently decided Leupold Vari X III or better for all my weapons needing a scope, even 22's. I really don't have much incentive to use substandard optics when a $300-400 Leupold is so much better. If you are into it for appearance and nostalgia, great. I shoot mine and appreciate the brighter picture, more reliable tracking, warranted products. I've never needed the warranty on a Leupold though. I've had Weavers that looked yellow, dim, or foggy and I just don't have any use for that. They just don't stand up against a Leupold, IMO.

LOL
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, AdventureBound, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,646 guests, and 876 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,456
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.