Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have nothing against cats but if I had one and really liked it, I wouldnt let it go too far from home. I know folks that kill them if they wander on their land. They kill too much game and get wild that way real quick. Lots of coyotes make them dinner as well. I used to laugh when I lived in CA. I had a friend who lived in the mountains outside Santa Cruz. Lots of yotes running around. On every telephone pole you would see pictures of cats with "Missing" over them. I bet about 95% of them became yote turds.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
all my wife's cats are fixed and seldom leave our yard. the biggest danger is getting run over in the driveway, 3 have died that way.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We have four cats. Their all it's. Two males I fixed at the ranch, and two my wife had done at the vets, when she got them.
I told her that was okay as I could not do the female but she could of saved me ten dollars and I could of done the tom... Oh well life in the West...

SEMPER FI.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
The deer lease has about 20-odd cats running around. The boss cat is named Roadie and he's the only one of the bunch that friendly. Not a mouse to be found anywhere in deer camp smile There's a gorgeous calico I'd like to adopt, but she's as wild as she can be.

Look nything like this fat cat?
[Linked Image]

Last edited by calikooknic; 02/05/13.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

This is the toughest son of a bitch I've ever seen.He has survived at our fishing camp out in the middle of nowhere for 7 years and counting.

He makes do with whatever he can catch during the winter months, but gets fattened up when folks start back fishing and he gets the scraps.

I,ve never had a mouse or rat in my trailer, boat, or hunting jeep.He can hear an electric fileting knife from anywhere in the camp and be to it in a minute flat.

We've probably had 30 or 40 cats come and go during the time I've been there, but Ol' Tom just keeps on a keeping on.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
From the time that I was very young, we had a fishing shack down on Double Bayou south of Anahuac in Chambers County, TX. My grandfather and great-uncle Sid had their shacks there, too, and they had been there since before the war (WW II). There were feral cats down there that lived by scavenging the leavings from the shrimp boats and the fish cleaning tables on the docks.

My grandfather owned a paint store in Beaumont, and he had a mouse problem. He paid me and my cousin to trap a cat for him to take back to Beaumont to rid his store of mice. The trapping took a couple of weeks and involved a lot of elaborate but unsuccessful plans. (Hey, we were only about seven or eight.) We finally ended up with a big, mean, one-eyed Tom in a dip net. With my Dad's help, we got him out of the dip net and into a stout cardboard box.

My grandfather took him back to Beaumont and turned him loose in the warehouse. They put out a pan of food whenever anyone thought to do it and left the commode open for water. No one never saw the cat again, but neither did they ever have another label chewed off by rodents.

Last edited by mudhen; 02/05/13.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
The deer lease has about 20-odd cats running around. The boss cat is named Roadie and he's the only one of the bunch that friendly. Not a mouse to be found anywhere in deer camp smile There's a gorgeous calico I'd like to adopt, but she's as wild as she can be.

Look nything like this fat cat?
[Linked Image]

yeah, she looks very well fed, but pretty smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are just awesome hunters.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Woodmaster750
We have four cats. Their all it's. Two males I fixed at the ranch, and two my wife had done at the vets, when she got them.
I told her that was okay as I could not do the female but she could of saved me ten dollars and I could of done the tom... Oh well life in the West...

Came very near going to jail when I was younger because of a cat, or at least I thought I was going to jail.

I grew up on a farm in smalltown USA and one summer the town was overrun by cats. Not wanting to harm them, but knowing the situation was getting out of hand, some of us farm boys came up with the idea of cutting the toms and thus stopping the problem.

We would sit around the station on a Fri. or Sat. night and when a cat came by, we would call it over. Females got to walk, toms were no so lucky! The first time we tried out our new plan, it didnt go so well. In fact, it looked like 4 or 5 of us had been fighting a wildcat, which we had, and the cat won. Through trial and error, we discovered that if we would stuff the head and all 4 feet in a boot we could make it work. It took 3 people to perform this delicate operation, but after the third or fourth one, we were experts.

This went on for 2-3 months and there was never a problem until we performed this delicate operation on the wrong cat. It seems that the prize tom of one of the local ladies had gotten out and came by the station one weekend night. Well if it was friendly enough for us to catch it, you know what happened. When the lady that owned the cat discovered her cat was no longer a tom, she called the law.

In smalltown USA, the law is usually kin to most of the town and the ones they are not kin to, they know. It didnt take long for the local marshall to put 2 and 2 together and while drinking beer at the station that weekend, we got a visitor. Now the marshall was a friend to all of us and kin to most of us and knew what was going on and who was doing it. In fact, most of the town supported the efforts and methods being used by us. But, we were told that this lady was raising hell and there was going to be a hearing and we had to attend. All of a sudden, this whole idea of helping the community had turned sour, and myself and a few others were caught in the middle of it.

We showed up at city hall a few days later and it seemed the whole town came to see the show. Of course the lady that owned the prize cat was there, with the evidence, at least the walking part, and she was some kind of mad. I wont try to tell how the hearing went, but needless to say, it was hilarious. After 15-20 minutes of several boys being cross-examined by the mayor, a decision was made. The decision was that since we were on private property not owned by the cat owner, and the cat was on this private property, and the cat didnt have a collar or was marked showing ownership, we were within our rights to believe this cat was a stray, and since the town did have a law against strays (stray law never has been or ever will be enforced) we didnt break any law.

Thus ended one of the most famous trials ever held in smalltown USA.

True Story

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
my stepson got arrest for beating a guy with a cat. the cat was in the wrong place at the wrong time, it was the closes thing Matt could grab during that fight, the cat died.
the police blotter write up was pretty funny,"man beaten with puzzy"

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Oldman2003
Originally Posted by Woodmaster750

Came very near going to jail when I was younger because of a cat, or at least I thought I was going to jail.

I grew up on a farm in smalltown USA and one summer the town was overrun by cats. Not wanting to harm them, but knowing the situation was getting out of hand, some of us farm boys came up with the idea of cutting the toms and thus stopping the problem.

We would sit around the station on a Fri. or Sat. night and when a cat came by, we would call it over. Females got to walk, toms were no so lucky! The first time we tried out our new plan, it didnt go so well. In fact, it looked like 4 or 5 of us had been fighting a wildcat, which we had, and the cat won. Through trial and error, we discovered that if we would stuff the head and all 4 feet in a boot we could make it work. It took 3 people to perform this delicate operation, but after the third or fourth one, we were experts.

This went on for 2-3 months and there was never a problem until we performed this delicate operation on the wrong cat. It seems that the prize tom of one of the local ladies had gotten out and came by the station one weekend night. Well if it was friendly enough for us to catch it, you know what happened. When the lady that owned the cat discovered her cat was no longer a tom, she called the law.

In smalltown USA, the law is usually kin to most of the town and the ones they are not kin to, they know. It didnt take long for the local marshall to put 2 and 2 together and while drinking beer at the station that weekend, we got a visitor. Now the marshall was a friend to all of us and kin to most of us and knew what was going on and who was doing it. In fact, most of the town supported the efforts and methods being used by us. But, we were told that this lady was raising hell and there was going to be a hearing and we had to attend. All of a sudden, this whole idea of helping the community had turned sour, and myself and a few others were caught in the middle of it.

We showed up at city hall a few days later and it seemed the whole town came to see the show. Of course the lady that owned the prize cat was there, with the evidence, at least the walking part, and she was some kind of mad. I wont try to tell how the hearing went, but needless to say, it was hilarious. After 15-20 minutes of several boys being cross-examined by the mayor, a decision was made. The decision was that since we were on private property not owned by the cat owner, and the cat was on this private property, and the cat didnt have a collar or was marked showing ownership, we were within our rights to believe this cat was a stray, and since the town did have a law against strays (stray law never has been or ever will be enforced) we didnt break any law.

Thus ended one of the most famous trials ever held in smalltown USA.

True Story

Soooo.............you were a Cat Burglar?

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Both of mine are over 10, fixed, and stay inside. The male in fact is declawed. I find them to be a lot more mellow and friendly when they stay inside, but it does create extra work, of course.

When the weather turned a few weeks back I had a couple mice in the house. Before I caught them all, one ran down the hallway. I swear to God there is almost nothing funnier than a fat old cat trying to chase a mouse on a tile floor. For a second I thought she was having convulsions, when she was actually trying to run after it. grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
back on the farm , I hated when walking into the dark garage, I'd slip in a pile of rabbit guts the monsters left for me!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Lion safari!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When we had our cats I envied them. They got to hunt every day and I was limited to a few days in the fall. They were sure hell on chipmunks!

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 1,697 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,908
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.