Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a Custom Mauser in .308, Weatherby Vanguard in .243,and a nice old Stevens 325 in .30-30. so I know I don't "need" a .30-06.

I had a Marlin MR-7 I gave to a very deserving family member, and it was in '06, and although I do not particularly miss it, I want another '06 due to ammo availability. Couldn't find any .308 or .243 today, but lots of the common deer suitable '06 for still $20 to $30 a box.

Due to lack of funding, the ones I can afford right now are: Ruger American, Marlin XL-7 and the Mossberg 4x4/ATR. Used rifles in my area are stupid expensive, like the stupid ammo prices. For the price of a used 110, that has seen better days, one of the three mentioned are more affordable.

So, which one Ruger, Mossberg or Marlin?

What's up with that vegetarian stuff? Tofu makes horrible trophys!
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Marlin XL-7

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ruger m77...Used or new...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I wrote: [Due to lack of funding, the ones I can afford right now are: Ruger American, Marlin XL-7 and the Mossberg 4x4/ATR. Used rifles in my area are stupid expensive]

You wrote: [Ruger m77...Used or new...]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I still write Ruger m77... whistle...You live in Germany? I'm sorry, but around here they are a dime a dozen...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
+1 on the Marlin XL-7. Like the lines and its appearance is the most appealing to me.

(Quick question - Why is an inquiry about a rifle chambered in .30-06 posted in the "Big Bores" forum?)

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Okie,

I haven't shot any of them. I'm sure you'll hear from some of those folks.

All three have received pretty good reviews in the things I've been reading. Gun Tests reviewed the Ruger American against the Mossberg 4x4 (both in .243 Win) in the Feb 2013 issue. They liked the Ruger American the best. Both shot all the factory ammo they fed it, 4 different kinds as I recall, into 1.2 inch avg 5-shot groups, or better, at 100 yds. All well within a minute of a deer.

They gave the Ruger an A and the Mossberg an A minus. So the difference between them is slight. The Ruger scope mounts would not accept Leupold Rifleman rings, so they had to use Warn Maxima rings. They report the Ruger's magazine was a bit more tricky to load.

I suggest go handle them, see which one fits you the best, which trigger you like (I think all three are adjustable down to the 3 lb area), etc.

Good luck.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do you not understand?
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by pinotguy
+1 on the Marlin XL-7. Like the lines and its appearance is the most appealing to me.

(Quick question - Why is an inquiry about a rifle chambered in .30-06 posted in the "Big Bores" forum?)

I guess to german's they (30-06) look big... whistle

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We use credit cards here. Can you use them there?

You have rifles that cover it now. Shop for a rare rifle there in Europe. Some really nice rifles have been made there and some may be 06's!

And save up your money now for that rifle.

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm not in Germany right now (going back in May), but where I work in Kentucky, a USED deer rifle cost over $350 right now. I was looking at a Savage 110 in .300 WM, it looked awful, the previous owner really neglected it, they were asking $375. But it does have a $30 Simmons on it.

The reason I put it in big bore, I think of anything smaller than 30 cal small bore, 30 cal and bigger big bore. It was a mistake.

Y'all mad just because I pointed out that I asked three specific types, and mentioned that used were already over value to to the Obama pannic. If I'm not wanted here, I'll ask else where.

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The new Winchesters M70's are a great rifle. I recommend the 30-06 featherweight for classy looks and performance. Not ultra light or ultra anything. No extreme. Just right bbl, just right (7 lb) weight. Real wood. Good triggers. I rather buy a Winchester on credit than pay cash for any of the other three you asked about.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=001C&mid=535200

My caveat, is get a new gun from the N Carolina plant. I hope that link above is good, this is a real classic beauty and the new plant is building then right.

Winchester floats the barrel. Ruger does not float the barrels on the wood stock guns and seems like a lot of my friends just give up on wood stock Rugers completely. I hope I dont pick to many fights here, but IMNSHO Ruger has the looks. Savage has the performance. Winchester has both.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Evan it is only '06, wouldn't the kick of a Feather Weight get painful in the prone? To be honest, I neglected to consider a Winchester. Today I was also thinking about a CZ550 American in 6.5 Swed.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
How do i move this to Hunting Rifles section?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Winchester calls it Featherweight but it is 7 pounds with a 22" barrel. After the scope your looking at 8 pounds. There are no iron sights. A scope is required. In my opinion, its not too light at all. I have one and if anything I feel it could be even a tad lighter. I guess, it depends on how you use it and what you like.

Winchester also offers the M70 Sporter at 7.25 lbs with a 24" barrel. No iron sights. Another very reasonable configuration.

At higher end of weight and price is the Alaskan in 30-06 with a 25" bbl and weights 8.5 lbs. This has iron sights. Strikes me a little to much of a good thing, but I bet its a nice shooter at the range.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

It appears that the term "Big Bore" has no meaning

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by OkieinGermany
Evan it is only '06, wouldn't the kick of a Feather Weight get painful in the prone? To be honest, I neglected to consider a Winchester. Today I was also thinking about a CZ550 American in 6.5 Swed.

No. The Winchester Featherweight in .30/06 is easy to shoot and a well balanced cartridge to most needs. Mine has taken hundreds of animals and several dozen or a lot more, shot from prone.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It is a Featherweight in name only. About the weight of almost everyone elses standard rifle and heavier than all of the OP's choices.

If within the budget it would be my first choice. If the OP must buy new then the Marlin would be my choice.

Persnally I'd shop around for a good used rifle in the same price range. A Ruger or pushfeed Winchester can be had used in that price range and be a better choice in the long run.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I guess to german's they (30-06) look big... whistle

I guess to this American you look like a douche

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Ich hatte bis 3000 Meilen reisen, um nach Hause zu kommen Arschl�cher

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go to Walmart and buy a new Model 700 Remington for $400.00. You'll have an accurate rifle.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (35, 405winash, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 9 invisible), 801 guests, and 774 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,388
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.