Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Here are some pictures from my guide season in the NWT from the fall. Winter is dragging on in my part of the world and hunting season is months away.

Here is the first ram I guided, a nice 10.5 year old fannin sheep. Hunter took him at 313yard with a blaser .338win mag

[Linked Image]

A little reminder to watch what your doing. This could have been a lot worse but a scar is all I have as a reminder.

[Linked Image]

The first moose of the year was a nasty old 60" bull that had been around. He's ears were like gloves had broken ribs and a lot of scars on his neck and face. 250yard shoot from a 300 win mag with 180 noslers.

[Linked Image]

Another shot that shows how big they are

[Linked Image]

Here is the second sheep of the season from around sept 20th. We lucked out and had a streak of good weather that lasted over 3 weeks. 9.5 years old 37.5" long

[Linked Image]

A caribou rounded ou the mix bag hunter hunt. He missed a wolf one morning from the tent a few days before

[Linked Image]

Spent the rest of the fall hunting moose in the gross stuff.

Passed this fella up as he looked really young. Bad him at 125yards the night before as well but we couldn't hunt yet

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Sask_Hunter/599.jpg[/img]

Last moose of the season a heavy horned bull 57"

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v476/Sask_Hunter/603.jpg[/img]

I spent the last few days guiding another client but we couldn't seal the deal on a big moose. I've been counting down the days till I can head back up and do what I was born to do.

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
That sure looks like big game hunting to me.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What happened to the leg? wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh baby, those white sheep are incredible! I really likey the 2nd one.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
What happened to the leg? wink

Stuck a knife in there skinning the first ram. Was sitting funny and thought to my self I should move before I stick my self. 10 seconds latter and a few choice words I was bleeding. Got it stopped and hike the 3 miles back to camp with the ram and got flown back to base camp. I could have been way bad so I'm happy with the reminder of it.

Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Oh baby, those white sheep are incredible! I really likey the 2nd one.

Dober

I want a sheep more than anything. I need to move provinces so I can hunt them, nothing else comes close to sheep hunting.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
That looks like a good time

Tater
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Very nice.... really dig that second sheep, but there are no slouches in the lineup.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Sask,

Some really nice looking animals there! Lie the others, I really like the second sheep. Given the length, it's a tight curl, but such a pretty ram! The fannin is pretty light (or appears so). At first, I thought it might have been a real dry year - seen some sherp in AK in dry years that looked almost gray, just because they were so dusty/dirty.

Awesome!

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Very nice collection of animals.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great pics!

There's no place like the "Territories"....I think about that place every single day.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for restarting the sheep desire. I need one of those in a bad way. Love that second sheep pic, the tight curl looks sweet.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'd sure love to make t up there someday hunting, it looks like an absolue blast. Them moose sure look like they would be fun to hunt!

Nice pictures and Thanks for posting them!!!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Great photos! I'm only mildly jealous... Okay, maybe more than that.

Congrats on a great season, and thanks for sharing the photos!

Guy

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Sask,

I really love the second sheep ... actually, both are great, but I love the curl on the second.

The 57-inch moose is cool, too. The long points are super.

Sticking knives seriously in yourself is something I've done twice. It must be a guide thing because both of mine were while guiding for elk hunters.

The worst one was when I was skinning an elk on an impossible angle with no end of round-bale twine holding the bull from sliding down another 500-feet. As you aid, "Thinking I should move before I stick myself." We should listen to that little Angel voice. Yep, stuck a skinning blade of my double-folder Case into my thigh and it hit the FEMUR BONE with a shudder.

I got it duct-taped up, after bleeding more than the elk, and carried on. It was amazing how stiff that leg was for the next three or four days. Knee stiffened up, but we still killed more elk.

The second BAD knife stick was another slip. I was kinda underneath a bull elk and trying to skin out the bottom along the spine.

Slipped and ran the Sticker blade from my double-folder Case right into an old bullet wound I carry on my left forearm. The wound is from an AK-74 5.45X39 and I opened up the old scar to triple. Yep, bled like a gusher.

Duct-tape again and carry on.

You are doing great, young man ... I wish you many years of guiding and hunting fun.

All the best,

Steve Timm

PS. Below is a dall I killed in the Yukon many years ago. He's ancient and long of horn. ST

[Linked Image]

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The only bad knife would I ever had was when I nearly lopped my index finger off at the first knuckle when I was skinning a caribou for a client. I've never made such a mistake when hunting for myself, friends, or family. I think guides are just knife magnets.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Sask,

I really love the second sheep ... actually, both are great, but I love the curl on the second.

Sticking knives seriously in yourself is something I've done twice. It must be a guide thing because both of mine were while guiding for elk hunters.

The worst one was when I was skinning an elk on an impossible angle with no end of round-bale twine holding the bull from sliding down another 500-feet. As you aid, "Thinking I should move before I stick myself." We should listen to that little Angel voice. Yep, stuck a skinning blade of my double-folder Case into my thigh and it hit the FEMUR BONE with a shudder.

I got it duct-taped up, after bleeding more than the elk, and carried on. It was amazing how stiff that leg was for the next three or four days. Knee stiffened up, but we still killed more elk.

The second BAD knife stick was another slip. I was kinda underneath a bull elk and trying to skin out the bottom along the spine.

Slipped and ran the Sticker blade from my double-folder Case right into an old bullet wound I carry on my left forearm. The wound is from an AK-74 5.45X39 and I opened up the old scar to triple. Yep, bled like a gusher.

You are doing great, young man ... I wish you many years of guiding and hunting fun.

All the best,

Steve Timm

PS. Below is a dall I killed in the Yukon many years ago. He's ancient and long of horn. ST

[Linked Image]

Steve,

That rams reminds me so much of the Chadwick ram - awesome! I've oogled at it over and over in your avatar, thanks for posting the picture for us new guys who haven't seen it. Can I ask the measurements on it? I'd take a stab at 43x44 w/14 or larger bases? Regardless, it is a creature and trophy to behold. I've been lucky enough to see a few 40" rams and unfortunate enough to miss one....

Best,

Bob

Last edited by Akbob5; 02/09/13.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great pics! I'd love to do a sheep/caribou combo hunt!

I'm glad the knife injury wasn't too bad.

Eric

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Love the pictures! It's funny about that voice in your head the only time I've severely cut myself I was using a razor sharp knife like a screw driver, and that little voice was saying "you're a f***ing idiot you're going to cut yourself" and sure enough I did. Sask, better days are coming!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Sask,

All the best,

Steve Timm

[Linked Image]

Steve,

That rams reminds me so much of the Chadwick ram - awesome! I've oogled at it over and over in your avatar, thanks for posting the picture for us new guys who haven't seen it. Can I ask the measurements on it? I'd take a stab at 43x44 w/14 or larger bases? Regardless, it is a creature and trophy to behold. I've been lucky enough to see a few 40" rams and unfortunate enough to miss one....

Best,

Bob

Friend Bob,

As memory serves, he's just about that. I believe that you are within �-inch, plus or minus. Big old bugger and he still had both lamb points.

Killed him at a range that nobody would ever, ever, ever believe and I've not really written about him, except in an article I wrote about a knife that George Herron gave me.

To this day, he lives in our living room. I have perhaps a eight or ten Rawland Ward Record Book critters from Afrika, but I've always cherished this ram more than any. My other "trophy" is a mule deer that I stalked for three seasons out of Jordan, Montana. I finally whacked him when he was 9�-years old ... at that time, he was simply an enormous forked-horn with umpteen trash-points and four-inch eyeguards. Biggest bodied mule deer I've ever killed (and YES, I've killed a lot of Alberta bucks ... this one is HUGE).

I'm delighted that you like my ram.

All the best,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (260Remguy, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 270wsmnutt, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 29 invisible), 16,763 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,878
Posts18,538,120
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
5 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.