Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Have been seeing lots of squirrels in the pecan bottom but bow/deer season has interfered with any squirrel hunts until this morning. Had to go check the pig trap anyway, so decided to go early and get in a sit.

Took my CZ 452 American in .22LR with a Leupold 3-9 w/AO. First time in the woods for this rifle as I got it at the first of bow season and you know how that can interfere with other hunts--

Eased up to my tree at 6:45, got settled in--still too dark to shoot but plenty of light to see if any were scampering in the treetops. 5 minutes later the first shows up, in a big willow den tree about 35 yds away, on the other side of the creek. I take a few practice aims--but no shot. Too dark to see if there are any small limbs in the way, and then the squirrel decides to go back to the den.

Then I see 2, then 3 running through the treetops across the fence--but I don't have permission to hunt that place, so I have to hope they'll come for a visit. 10 minutes later, about 7:05, the single shows itself again, and after a bit of up and down, here and there, offers the shot. Rifle on bipod, safety off, breathe, aim, squeeze, and "POP-flop". I'm shooting standard velocity target ammo so it is really quiet. The 3 across the fence freeze in place, but within 5 minutes were back at it.

Then, in a few minutes, even with my bad ears, I hear one barking over my right shoulder down the creek. There is another den tree about 25 yds from me-a big pecan. I finally locate the source of the sound, and repeat the performance. Switch magazines, and settle back in the chair, and hear claws on bark--same tree. Finally find this one, and another "POP-flop". This is all right--3 on the ground and less than 20 minutes elapsed. Relax again--dang, hear another one barking/chattering and he's in the same tree as the previous two. Took a while for him to show for a clear shot, but eventually did, and I was through. 4 in less than 30 minutes from the same location was just fine. So, gathered them up, walked to the truck, unloaded, had a bit of coffee, and drove to the trap--no pigs, but the corn was eaten in the entrance to about 2' in the trap--they are getting a bit brave and it won't be long until they regret it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by dustoffer; 02/07/13.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats! A great way to break the new rig in!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 1Longbow, 41 invisible), 1,818 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,412
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.