Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
My wife was there on a business trip, and it sounded like a nice little town. She saw some game in the area too. She had to drive in from Midland TX. Any comments about Alpine?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm no expert, but I've been through. The phrase "300 miles from nowhere" comes to mind.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
That's what she said. Once you leave town, you leave town. Wish I went with her.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I thought it to be an eclectic little town. There was a guy sitting next to me at a bar wearing a top hot. I even got a cajun pizza with truffle oil on it. Very odd little place but nice.

I thought Pat told me it was their 'Alaska' town. It had that feel. It was cold, 14 degrees at night in December.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
my buddy bought 400 acres out west of there, i'll get to hunt mule deer this yr.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The Marfa/Alpine area isn't bad, and yes, it's surrounded by miles of nowhere. Not that that's a bad thing. Big artsy-craftsy community and a college. It's kind of the west Tejas version of Bisbee, AZ.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Headed south is pretty.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alpine/Ft. Stockton/etc. are remote and somewhat desolate, but a man could do worse as far as relocating/hunting goes:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alpine is two different towns. An authentic West Texas cattlemen's town which has appealed to the "arts crowd" long enough for THAT to be authentic also. There are some real good cowboys who make a living around there. Don't know about the artists. grin

Big Bend Saddlery [which now belongs to good young friend of mine] is world class.

I've been getting out that way at least a couple times a year for a long time now. One of the things that strikes me as somewhat unique is that it seems ALL the cowboys in the Trans Pecos know each other, and Alpine is sort of a "clearinghouse" for information about them.

I'll be going thru there on my way down to the Longfellow in a couple of months. I'll see if I have a picture or two to post from a visit last year.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
My wife was there on a business trip, and it sounded like a nice little town. She saw some game in the area too. She had to drive in from Midland TX. Any comments about Alpine?

Alpine ain't the end of the world, but you can see it from there.

Aside from some good mule deer hunting, I never saw a reason to go there.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Warren Jeffs liked it to so much he built a compound out there....
But in all seriousness, it's one of the only places outside of the hill country that I liked in Texas.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I really like that country...haven't been to Alpine in a long time, but we lived in Ft.Stockton briefly when I was a kid. it is pretty much the middle of nowhere, which I like. the Davis Mountains are pretty, and they hold some big old mulies.

if you don't have your own plane, it's a long way to anywhere else, though.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There are quite a few of these around there. A fellow in Alpine makes lion traps .

[Linked Image]

These are free range on the Longfellow and it's not uncommon to see them up around Alpine as well:

[Linked Image]

These are pickups from Reagan Canyon:

[Linked Image]

The Trans Pecos has been in a severe drouth for several years and game numbers are way down, but a couple years of good rains and they will come back.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Spent a month their last summer and really enjoyed it and the Big Bend area in general. Saw a bull elk standing by a fence half way between Marathon and Alpine. Buffalo Rose is a great place to eat and drink depending on who's working the bar. Had a great nilgia steak from the King ranch at the Saddle Club, can't beat the Reata for high end eating either and the Railroad Blues has live music every night. Basically any remote town of just over 6000 people that has two saddle makers is OK in my book. Only down side would be the influx of Californians.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are sayin some of the same things the wife said. She did mention that it was artsy too. I asked her a bunch about it, because it seemed like there was a dichotomy of authentic and new(comers). She did see a mule deer, antelope and a javelina. She got way out in the no mans land part (works for USGS). People seemed friendly and the food was good. Of course I asked her if she saw any "sporting goods" stores, but she said she didn't notice any. Of course she did not have much free time though. One of the other USGS guys (Texas) did talk hunting with her. I love gun friendly states/folks.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I told her that I am going to the campfire and post up Alpine because somebody will prolly comment on it...........Duh. Got to put her on and read this thread tonight.

GREAT pictures!

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A friend of mine is the premier trapper in that country. These are a few of his traps:

[Linked Image]

Alpine is a pass thru one of the mountain ranges and a wagon road went all the way from Del Rio to there. A portion of this road went through the ranch I hunted for years, down below Sanderson :

[Linked Image]

It's hard to imagine making that trip with mules and wagons and you would for sure have to know the few water sources along the way :

[Linked Image]

This is a section of live water on the San Francisco Creek. It runs underground most of its length.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Spent some time south of Alpine in Terlingua on a bike trip summer before last. The term 'off the grid' and 'stark beauty' comes to mind. Most of the Big Bend country was burnt that spring and summer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
we used to hunt a place near Sanderson that had that old stage road running through it. you could still see the wagon ruts, old adobe stage stations all tumbledown, insulators for the telegraph line. always wanted to poke around one of those places with a metal detector.

the wets use the old wagon road now.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Pres. of our Trapper Assn. lives and traps mountain lions out there. The numbers are impressive.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (1minute, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 1beaver_shooter, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,019 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,895
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.