Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've also just taken my ammo in after-market plastic boxes "sealed" with duct tape, and never had anybody question them.

In fact in multiple trips to Africa, often with airline trips within the same country, I've yet to encounter any consistency in what's supposedly the correct procedure. I try to find out beforehand, but what I've been told and what's actually occured haven't always coincided. And not just with ammo either.

One friend who was flying within South Africa went to Kimberley on a South African Airways flight, with two rifles. When he checked in for his flight on a SSA feeder flight to Port Alfred a week later, with the same two rifles, he was informed they didn't allow anybody to fly with rifles as luggage. He had to charter a flight to PA.

As is often said over there, "This is Africa.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
MTM Dry Survivor Boxes in orange..the larger size.
Worked for me inside my Tuffpak in Zim and Namibia this July.
Small lock from local hardware store and off I went with plenty of 9.3x62, my Leatherman Tool and something else I can't remember.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
While just about any lockable plastic box will meet the legal requirements for air travel I suggest using a small Pelican case. They aren't cheap but I feel its important to have something that can survive on its own.

Many members have found that the rules change depending on who you talk to at the airline counter. If you have a Pelican case you can be assured that if the ammo must be separate that case will survive the journey.

I pack mine in my bag but it has a separate luggage tag attached so that if I get hassled I can pull it out and its ready to fly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bingo! RxGremiln has it right. The rules vary by airline, may change during a trip, and often the rules depend upon the individual clerk encountered. Having to abandon your ammo on the way out can be a major issue. Coming back maybe not so much. Being prepared for worse case is always the best policy.

Last edited by ODay450; 02/20/13.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 73 invisible), 3,191 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,435
Posts18,528,621
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.