Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've been browsing this forum for some time in my research into Elk hunting. I've never actually hunted before (grew up with an anti-gun father) and moved out to Colorado 2 years ago from Florida. I've fished my whole life and always been into the outdoors. Last year I decided I wanted to take up elk hunting after having a few meals with elk as the main course. When I decided I wanted to take it up I chose to wait a whole year before going out and trying so that I could get as much research in as I could and train myself for it.
I decided to sign up for the forum because there is a lot of useful information here and the people here seem to want to help instead of bash which the latter seems easier to find in most forums. Anyhow, it is getting close to the time where I need to decide for myself and my father-in-law (who will be joining me) on where to hunt. I've looked and looked and can't seem to find anything to help me decide. We want to hunt for the meat and so we are looking at doing Cow Elk. It will be a rifle season though I haven't been able to decide which season to do either but I have been leaning towards a late season. I had originally looked at doing 18/181 or 20 because they're close to where I live (Firestone). I have found a few threads here, though, that have lead me to believe that 18/181 may not be the best?
I'm not worried about having to hike in far or dealing with rough terrain, I do 14ers pretty regularly so I can hike with the best of them. I just seem to be getting overwhelmed now with trying to pick a good area to have a chance at success. Any help is appreciated, I look forward to hanging out on these forums.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
What gear do you have?

Late season can be productive, but you have to have the gear to do it.

One of the best things you can do for the 1st year is to contract with an outfitter for a drop camp or if you can swing it, financially, a full guided hunt.

Or hook up with an experienced hunter or group of hunters.

Anyone can get lucky the 1st time out,but it usually takes a few years to be able to kill an elk if you are doing it solo.

I can't help much on areas, as I use livetstock to get back in aways. Most of the units I hunt are not condusive to foot hunting.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Welcome to the fire! Many good guys here that are willing to help out a newcomer looking for advice. I respect the fact that you desire to hunt even though you grew up with "an anti gun father". I'm not from Colorado but I know there are a lot of guys here on the fire that are. If you are looking for advice on "best elk rifle/cartridge" you'll have fun doing research here on that subject as well. If you need a good elk rifle, look me up. I've been keeping a 300 win mag for just the right person. Good luck with your search and enjoy the fire....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
First off, welcome! This place has some experienced people. Some opinionated, too.
First of all, you will need to get hunter's ed. I would take it now when the season is slow. In the summer it fills up fast.
The units you mention are difficult, most of their land is private and penetrated with hiking trails full of tree huggers. You can still go past those and find good places though.
I tend to go NW of where you live, this takes you away from the heavily traveled and hunted I-70 corridor.
I went hunting by myself the first time for CO elk in 2005 and got a bull the first day. Have been getting an elk every other year more or less, since, hunting by myself on public land. Not as wild of a success story as some would say on here but good enough for me.
Good luck!

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm all geared up and ready to go. I shoot a 30-06 180gr core-lokt. I think I can handle the cold pretty well, I camped up I. Indian peaks and did a few summits just last month in 50mph wind and 20s in the day. I don't think my father-in-law and I can afford to pay for an outfitter or guide so we want to try and hack it oursleves. I'm not going into this with the thought that I will take an elk my first try nor do I base my success on it. I love the outdoors and this just gives me another reason to be out there. I just want help knowing whether or not that 18/181 choice is the right one or not. Also not sure if I should wait it out for 4th season or a late season or give 1st season a try.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Yep I have my hunter ed finish and orange card in hand.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you can get a cow tag for unit 36, North of Vail.I can give you some pointers there.You can drive right up to Wilderness boundary, but 3rd and 4th season is out. Too much snow/ Not very rough country.

Last edited by saddlesore; 02/09/13.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm gonna try and get some help from the CPW hunt planner program that they have to get a better idea. I just cant seem to decide where to go that is gonna have enough public land to get into. I'm gonna get myself that gpshuntingmaps sd card for my garmon to help. What I keep reading is that I'm gonna have to hike well into wilderness to get away from everyone to have a shot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
30 years ago climbing those 14ers and Centennial peaks would have given you a good background on some nice hunting areas and herd locations. Still today it will give you a good head start. Some of those high mountains require you to approach the day before, camp, and start your ascent from a high camp the following morning. If you can do that same thing on an elk hunt you can put yourself in a good position compared to most hunters who will be starting from a road somewhere.

The guys in my elk hunting group are all former climbers, and there are some experienced mountaineers here an the forum too. I think they would all agree that you are coming in with a useful set of skills. People that have that itch to explore usually like both mountaineering and hunting because either one takes you places you would never discover otherwise.

It helps to collect preference points. You can collect a point each year and still hunt. For the first few years I'd suggest spending points when you get 1 or 2 so that you get a taste of some better hunting areas.

If you have a comfortable large pack that serves both to haul your camp but can also be used to get bloody hauling meat then that can be really valuable.

Here's a few handy links I had onhand bookmarked in case you hadn't seen these already -

http://ndismaps.nrel.colostate.edu/huntingatlas/

http://www.bowhunting.net/NAspecies/elk2.html

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/ElkHuntingUniversity/Pages/ElkHuntingUniversity.aspx

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BTW - I don't recommend staying too many consecutive nights in a spartan spike camp. You'll hunt more effectively by returning to base periodically to eat well, sleep well, recharge, and get cleaned up.

IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I can't comment on your location or specifics of your situation, other than to say go for it and don't over-think it! Any day out hunting elk is a great day, and you will learn a lot as you go.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Have you called the game warden for your area? Probably worth a call, or even meet with them for lunch to get some advice on areas. Being there, you have the tremendous advantage of doing some scouting, even if it's just to find access roads to potential hunting areas. I personally prefer the earlier seasons as the weather is nicer. I just love that time of year in the Rockies!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First, welcome! Hope you get the info you need and have many successful hunts!

A few random suggestions:

1. 1. Learn all you can about various areas before applying. There are a lot of resources available but a good place to start is the Colorado Parks & Wildlife web pages that show the statistics for previous years. These stats will tell you all kinds of things including population estimates, the number of Preference Points needed to succeed in the lottery, lottery drawing summaries. For example, I just checked the area we will likely hunt and found that if we apply for Preference Points as our first choice, a second choice cow tag is out of the question. (First choices used up all available cow tags.) On the other hand, there is an area we've hunted where cow tags were drawn as fourth choices so we may end up there again. (Come to think of it, that's why we ended up there last time.)

2. Google Earth. Topo maps.

3. BLM Land Ownership maps, which can be ordered from USGS.

4. Be prepared for any kind of weather. We take chains for all 4 wheels, plus double rubber tensioners with spares and a chain repair kit. And we've needed them all. Be aware that if you break down in the high country your vehicle may spend the winter there. Tow straps and chain and a come-along and high-lift jacks are all good ideas.

5. Be aware that if you break down in the high country your vehicle may spend the winter there. Get the oil changed and fluids, belts and tires checked and other maintenance done well BEFORE you go.

6. The rifle can cartridge won't matter nearly so much as your ability to use it.

7. If you can talk to experienced and successful hunters, do so.

8. We've found camping low offers a lot more flexibility than camping high. It isn't unusual for us to hunt areas where the jump off points are an hour or two apart. Plus, we often hunt low for deer or even elk if the migration is on. We used to drag the trailer up to the high country, now we are more likely to camp on BLM land in the sage. Our success rates have gone up considerably as a result of the greater mobility.

9. Best piece of advice I can give you - hunt where the elk are. While that may sound like a rather obvious and rudimentary truth it is one that is often overlooked. BTDT, hunting high in heavy snow near camp when the elk had moved lower. Continuing to hunt low when I thought the migration had started, only to have the weather warm up and the coax the elk into staying in the high country. (False starts to the migration are common, with some elk moving through before things really get going, kind of like the way Old Faithful works up to full flower.) Wish I could say I learned the first time around...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Tell us what areas/14ers you have explored already. You may be familiar with some good areas already. I don't think you could go wrong going due west around Steamboat Springs

Last edited by txhunter58; 02/10/13.

Venor ergo sum
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I am not an expert elk hunter and can't help with areas. However if you are in good shape and don't mind working you should be able to find something close to the road that the other hunters are ignoring. My partner and I have been hunting the upper end of a steep deep canyon. In three seasons of hunting that canyon we have filled four out of five tags. There is road access all around the top and the quads run around up there all day long. The canyon always has elk and seldom has hunters. The hunters are afraid of that hole but that is where the elk are. So my advice is to look for a hell hole.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you haven't already, buy the best optics you can afford. Upper line binos, a decent spotting scope & tripod. These can save you lots of walking. Go to a high point and spend lots of time behind the glass.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You can pm me and I can tell you what I know about 18. I've been in there twice...while not an expert on the area, I can at least tell you what I do/don't know. There is a guy here on the fire who used to cover that unit on a regular basis. I think it's "thumper"??

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Count me in as someone who floundered as a newbie for a couple years before figuring things out for elk. Although I didn't find the fire until way later! I wish I would have hired an outfitter or looked/asked way harder to tag along with others my first year. Anyway, I've found that "amateurs talk tactics, professionals talk logistics" rings true with elk as with many other things. Focus on setting yourself set up in a place that has elk that you can actually see, shoot, and then get back out with a reasonable plan. I've seen guys chase elk around the thick stuff and never get a shot. I've also seen places where you can glass your eyeballs out and see gobs of elk you can't hunt for one reason or another, access, terrain, whatever. And stay mobile. If you're glassing and the critters aren't there, then they aren't there. Move elsewhere and/or change up your time-of-day plans.

I think spending effort scouting for routes, sign, and area familiarity as much as actual elk is time well spent so you don't waste time during the season. We joke that you hunt all year, you just kill 'em when the State lets you.

I can't fathom how (other than cabin fever) hunters endlessly debate rifles and rounds when the actual shot is such a small part of it. Practice shooting enough to know what you can and can't do. Then spend time with the rest of your gear, scouting, and area research.

I'm afraid I don't have much advice for that area. But I bet it's out there somewhere. Good luck!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Superdave has the best advice I've seen here yet!

I've hunted 18/181 since 1992. Those units get hammered by newbs and out of staters in the early seasons. Unlike what I read above, by far most of those units is public land. The elk use most of it in the spring/summer, but stick near the private land come fall. Hang near the boundaries and you will eventually find the elk.

I have several honey holes that produce elk every year. I can find elk almost anywhere, but those locations are consistent from day to day. It's just like trout fishing. Trout only use 10% or so of the stream on a regular basis, you have to find the 10%.

The CPW office west of Hot Sulphur Springs has a couple of folks that can be very helpful. They also manage the public shooting range a little west of the office on Hwy 40. It may be worth a day to buzz up there and talk to the folks, do a little shooting, and cruise around the area. It can be very rugged, steep, and difficult country the furhter you get from the CO river, but elk typically like what cattle do, so follow a few of them around for a while and you will find elk.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
There is a lot of good information here, but I will repeat what I normally tell guys; get in the best shape you can. Buy good boots and put 100 miles on them before your hunt. You are in for a task if you kill an elk, and you need to understand that up-front. Each quarter will weigh more than most deer you kill, and you have to get those quarters off the animal. Hard work, but as you know worth it. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 2500HD, 33 invisible), 2,115 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,614
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.