Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Several years ago I needed one due to back issues and the clinic I was sent to had the small cylinder type, I am 6�4� 280 and my arms were pinched tight against my side causing me to move, they stopped the process and I ended up going to another site that had an more open unit it worked for me.

Ted
GB1

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
My heart is beating like a drum just reading these. Bye!!!

Gary Pfluke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kaiser
My heart is beating like a drum just reading these. Bye!!!

Yep. Just thinking about caves and such gets my anxiety up.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I got that feeling when I had my MRI done. Thank goodness they gave me headphones and Pink Floyd was playing during the whole procedure. I just shut my eyes and went with it. Ask for music.

F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
I think I lasted 15 seconds in the first closed one...then abject panic set in and I was OUT of there NOW! Have had a couple of open MRI's and MRA's since and was ok but never again in a closed one...not conscious anyway. And there is NO way you will get me in a cave...nope nada no f'in way...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had many MRI and CATs over the last couple of months. Only once did I get the fantods. I opened my eyes when I should not have and I forgot to practice the correct breathing techniques to calm down. I managed to straighten myself out and haven't had any more problems.

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Salmonella
I had to get an MRI yesterday and failed miserably.
About half way through the 40 minute procedure while in that tight fitting tube, I was overwhelmed with claustrophobia, I mean a total freakin panic attack and had to abort the procedure.
I will try again with some sedatives from the doc, but that experience really sucked.

Anyone else suffer from claustrophobia?

Sorry to hear that. When I got one on my head the tech was so worried about the possibility of me freaking out, that he almost freaked me out! grin

I'm not claustrophobic so I can't help other than to say: drugs. Get ye to your doc for some Valium or whatever they use nowadays. I had Valium before a hernia repair (done under local anaethesia, eek) and that stuff WILL relax you.

Those MRI machines really are a trip, all the humming and whirring and so on.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Man, you 'phobes would just love this cave in New Mexico (about 40 miles east of ABQ on the other side of the Sandias) that I went deep into back in the day. It had entire 20-30 yard stretches that were no bigger than an MRI machine... grin. We got all the way to the end (several hundred yards? Half mile?) and there was a little cavern about like a bedroom, with some lowrider vatos who'd also done the thing. We smoked pot with them and then things got a little spookier. I wouldn't recommend getting stoned before an MRI, based on that experience.

Best part was that everyone's flashlights died on the way out. We crawled out of there by the light of our Bic's. Good times.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Guess all the hundreds of [bleep] termite infested houses I've been under, some 10" off the ground seasoned me for that type of experience. Have to turn your head sideways, or dig your way from joist to joist to get all the way through. Spend all day under them nasty things, with spiders and Dursban vapor, lol

Plus, I used to do some caving when I was a young buck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
..Dursban vapor..

Ah, you're taking me back to the days when I worked as a subcontractor in Dow Chemical's Dursban plant. Nasty chit.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Man, you 'phobes would just love this cave in New Mexico (about 40 miles east of ABQ on the other side of the Sandias) that I went deep into back in the day. It had entire 20-30 yard stretches that were no bigger than an MRI machine... grin. We got all the way to the end (several hundred yards? Half mile?) and there was a little cavern about like a bedroom, with some lowrider vatos who'd also done the thing. We smoked pot with them and then things got a little spookier. I wouldn't recommend getting stoned before an MRI, based on that experience.

Best part was that everyone's flashlights died on the way out. We crawled out of there by the light of our Bic's. Good times.

No way, no how....the word spelunker races my pulse.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm blessed with the lack of claustrophobia and have been in some very tight pipes, sewer and storm, over the years. Just had my first MRI about a month ago. They asked me what kind of music I liked, slapped on the head phones, rolled me and it was smooth sailing.
My wife will have to be sedated if and when she ever has to have an MRI. She gets claustic in the back seat of a 2 door vehicle.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If ya dont like the MRI be sure TI be cremated when you die, eternity is a long tine in a casket

There are fools and damn fools, which one are you?
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I had one on my knee this last Friday. My head wasn't inside the thing, though. I used to be a roofer and have lots of experience in very tight crawl spaces in addition to having done plumbing and wiring under houses with just enough room to breathe. It doesn't bother me any.
The only problem I had with the knee is that half way through, my leg started to spasm. It took a lot of will power to hold it steady for that long. I was sure glad to have it done with.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The last MRI I did was late in day and took an awful long time.
Had a helluva time convincing myself that everyone had not gone home and left me in it.

1B

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by walt501
I've had plenty of MRI's. Used to have some anxiety in the tube, but found that a blindfold or even a wash cloth over my eyes before they slide you in really helps. I think that looking around inside the tube and seeing how small it is really gets to you. These days, blindfold in place, I can do an hour or more in the tube and come out well rested. Also, they have a support that elevates your legs, so you're not laying out stick straight. It helps me get comfortable. Make sure you're comfortable before they slide you in. Ear plugs help too, as I can't hear anything but jack hammers going off once you're in there.

The wash cloth was the answer for me. I had 4 MRI's in three months a couple years ago.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
About half way through the 40 minute procedure while in that tight fitting tube, I was overwhelmed with claustrophobia, I mean a total freakin panic attack and had to abort the procedure.
I will try again with some sedatives from the doc, but that experience really sucked.

Yes, I do. Have been mildly claustrophobic from childhood, ever since getting stuck in a cylinder as a young pup. I also dread MRIs, both for the CP aspect, as well as the awful nausea, and memories of same, that comes with the dye injected as part of CT scans. <shudder>

I've never had to bail during a procedure, but I undertand it. Sorry about your troubles, sir.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Six years or so ago I needed to have an MRI done on my shoulder (turned out I fractured it) they tried a closed MRI before the machine even stopped putting me in I had to come out.........the one and only time I ever had felt claustrophobic. Wound up getting an open MRI and all was well!!!

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Missed a good chance at a good nap.

I took my tough rancher, hunting, fishing buddy from east Texas to see the mountains around Ruidoso with our wives years ago and he wanted to learn to ski. We loaded up on the t- bar on the baby slope and on the way up it got us about 20 feet above the hard packed snow. I should have realized he had a problem with heights since he refused bowhunting due to the need to hunt from an elevated stand. At about 20 ft high he developed rigor mortis and became stiff as a board with a death grip on my arm a golden eagle would be proud of. His eyes rolled back in his head and he straightened out stiff as a board. Luckily, I was able to keep his butt balanced on the bar till touch down.

PS. If the MRI tube is tight, a diet is in order.

Last edited by eyeball; 02/11/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had a bunch of CT scans due to cancer issues. Never had a problem. Now that my kidneys are shot I can't have the contrast dye but still have to drink that barium stuff.
When I had my first MRI I thought it would be the same. Oh NO! I was out of there within five minutes. Wound up going to the ER and then my family doc to get tranquilizers.
Next time they wanted to do an MRI (at Mayo)I told them of my first one. No problem. Gave me a mild sedative and a towel over my face. Fell asleep. Now I just make sure to ask for help before I go in.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 1234, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 3,154 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,710
Posts18,534,869
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.