Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Looking at getting another pair of boots since my current ones are getting worn down. Want to get some with more scent control and am wondering what other folks have used. So what is the good, bad and the ugly?

Thanks,

DR

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Used to be La Cross

Now totally sold on extra tuffs.

Reality says I wash and grab my cheapy boots as needed though...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D

Yep, saw that thread but was looking for specific brands of boots.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Rockies - good synthetic boots, light weight, decent scent control, but not as durable as other brands - 2-3 seasons of use, 1-2 seasons of hard use. Inexpensive on the base models. Archers Choice model has had seam issues until last year. Usually an early season boot, the heavy insulated models aren't much of an improvement IMO.

Danner Pronghorns - good leather boots with easy break in, lightweight, but prone to scent retention in the leather , and can tear up in thorny brush, harsh rock. Good for moderate wear for several seasons. Expensive, but good feeling boot with solid lace up for me.

Scentblocker Boots - synthetic boot, easy to wear in all seasons, limited flex on weight of socks for colder weather, but seem to be great for scent control. Boot design is like a rubber muck boot with a long side zipper. Expensive, unless you catch a post season sale. The fit is good, but still have that loose slide of a slip on boot that doesn't go away.

Rubber boots - poor insulation in most cases, great scent control, and usually found everywhere, and cheaper than the above.

I use the Rockies in the early Fall and early Spring, the Danners in mid-season, and the Scentblockers in really wet weather.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bow hunt in muck shoes or muck boots 90 percent of the time. The muck shoes have minimal traction. However they are so quiet to sneak around in. It's almost like bare foot but with foot protection. I choose them unless the situation is so demanding I switch to muck boots.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Le Chameau. But be warned they are expensive.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
D
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Le Chameau. But be warned they are expensive.

HOLY C**P you ain't kidding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LaCross Alphaburly

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Worth every penny. The only thing from France worth a chit.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Its funny how different feet or habitats or styles influence the same activity for different people.

I bought a pair of these French boots in Johannesburg about 10 years ago now, maybe 8? That timeline does not matter. The store was closing up shop and I knew the owners fairly well. The cut me a deal to just get rid of the inventory. With my exchange rate in American dollars it was too good to pass up.

I found them well made and comfortable, as good or better then anything I had ever worn made of rubber. However they had two horrible features. First they punctured by looking at them. Every thorn and sharp stick poked holes in that "pure soft"" comfortable rubber. I had never experienced as many punctures in rubber boots before.

The next thing that just caused a deal breaker was the way my feet would pull out of them when in mud with a suction on the boots. I cannot count the amount of times I had almost fallen with a foot half way out of the boot and all my weight on the other foot sinking quickly, then trying to shove my loose foot back in the boot only to have it collapse and fill with water and mud. uuugghhh what a frustrating pair of boots these became!

I'm not sure what the engineering nightmare was with them, that caused them to get sucked off my feet in mud, but after that happened a couple times, they were given to a skinner to use in the shed so he could hose out the place with boots on.

Funniest thing when the French hunters came that year and saw a poor skinner wearing a 500 dollar pair of boots. Better yet when he told them his boss (me) gave them to him!

Although I have had my muck boots pull off my foot a couple times it's the rarest situation. and then you can shove the foot back in without them collapsing and folding over while you try to wiggle and shove your foot back in. Now the Lacrosse Alpha's I have are the best ever. Ankle fit, never punctured, never get pulled off in mud, can be cinched really tight and just plain work as well as rubber boots can work in my opinion.

There are likely feet that fit those French boots and work fine, mine do not. Lots of people cannot wear Russell moccasins, for me they are magic. I love my Russell boots.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
You must have small feet for your size. I need help pulling mine off. The thing I dislike about them is they are not even close to being big enough around the calf. Whimpy little Frenchies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dunno what that means? I wear the size that fits properly. Only those frenchie boots pull off in mud, not the 80.00 lacrosse boots.

Just me probably, what a great break though. I can't use those 500.00 boots! What a shame.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
That means that your foot doesn't fill the volume of the boot. Say your a size 9 that size doesn't account for volume, its a measurement of the lenght of your foot. Example I am a 14 my foot fills every space in the boot( Le Chameau), not a tight fit but a full fit with little room to spar. Now my foot in another boot like Hanwag doesn't fill up the volume of the boot like it does in a Le Chameau. This is why the mud pulled off your boots but does not pull off mine. Seeing that Lacrosse don't pull off your feet I am about 100% positive that is the case as Lacrosse are so tight on me I can't wear them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any rubber based boot should work fine. My Sorel's work just fine, but nothing beats my military mickey mouse all rubber boots with the original air bladder system. Only prob with the all rubbers are the weight, but nothing is better in scent control or warmth imho.

-Ken

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Got a pair of plain jane green burlys and a pair of alpha burly sports in camo.. i dislike their overseas quality, But their customer service was top notch when i called. They sent me the alpha burlys for free. I was quite impressed. And they overnited them so it didnt screw up my hunt plans. I keep them in the garage or mudroom and just walk through a creek or mudhole whenever i can. Seems to work just fine.

Hunt...
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
lacrosse, I have three pairs, non-insulated alpha burly, 800 gram and the 1500gram insulated. covers bow season thru rifle in Tn.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Xtratufs.

H
H
Lacrosse Grange in the heat and Alpha Burly 1000 gram in the cold. They are a tighter ankle fit which works for me but maybe not for others. I just replaced my Granges after 6 years and now I wear my old pair everywhere. I like to where a pair of those ankle gaitors for waders to keep my pants tucked in good. Hope this helps.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I bow hunt in muck shoes or muck boots 90 percent of the time. The muck shoes have minimal traction. However they are so quiet to sneak around in. It's almost like bare foot but with foot protection. I choose them unless the situation is so demanding I switch to muck boots.

+1 while deer hunting

The uppers of my muck boots have gotten some holes over the years so I put some old Kennetrek gaiters on the mucks and they are good as new.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,187
Posts18,523,903
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.