Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
MAC is burned into ROM, no?

Doesn't matter, it can still be easily spoofed in the operating system. Done it many times.

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GotAmmo
A good one is Hidemyass.com

I'm sure there's a good joke in this somewhere.

MOLON LABE
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"An IP address is like your house's street address which tells the mailman to figure out how to get you your mail. It's just an electronic address assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider so that electronic packets can get to your computer from anywhere in the world."

Okay thanks, I understand that. But, if I were to buy a new computer and hook it up to the same ISP at the same location as this one, does the IP stay the same, or is another issued to reflect that you have a new computer?

How does the webb site read your IP address? It looks like it would have to be something like Caller ID.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well duh on me - of course it can. I live mostly in a microcontroller world, sometimes PC stuff isn't is obvious as it should be.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1234567
"An IP address is like your house's street address which tells the mailman to figure out how to get you your mail. It's just an electronic address assigned to your computer by your Internet Service Provider so that electronic packets can get to your computer from anywhere in the world."

Okay thanks, I understand that. But, if I were to buy a new computer and hook it up to the same ISP at the same location as this one, does the IP stay the same, or is another issued to reflect that you have a new computer?

How does the webb site read your IP address? It looks like it would have to be something like Caller ID.

When an IP packet goes to the web site, it has the source address embedded in it. Kind of like looking at the sender's address on a letter envelope. Each computer has a unique IP address. Just like John and Jane Doe can live in the same house, with the same home address. These analogies aren't perfect. It also depends on how you connect to your ISP. If you have a router that all your home computers go through to the Internet, those computer addresses will be private and the router will appear to be the source address for all the computers.

MOLON LABE
IC B2

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that's what I was kinda getting at in my earlier post ... a lot depends on how you connect to the internet from your house. The networking setup can either reveal a lot, or hide a lot ... but you have to know what is being broadcast out from your network, and what device is doing the broadcasting in order to start the process of either changing or spoofing your IP ...

-WGM-
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The next logical question that I know some people will have is this... if all the computers in my house appear to be coming from a single IP address (ie my home router address) how the hell can 2 or more computers in the same house send and receive unique traffic to an Internet destination?

Routers will use something called network address translation which allow them to multiplex several traffic streams through a single IP address. IP packets have a lot of embedded information other than the IP address. HTTP is something called a stateful connection technology. Basically, that means that a virtual tunnel is created between the source and destination computers. Each connection has unique port and serial numbers associated with it in addition to the IP address.

Here's the real world analogy...

Imagine you're in traffic on a 4 lane highway, and each of the 4 lanes has barricades preventing traffic from switching lanes. So everyone is driving on route 5 but each is in a specific lane.

Ahead of you is a 10 mile single lane tunnel that everyone is required to funnel into. As you approach the single lane, a highway worker slaps a lane # sticker on your windshield- 1, 2, 3, or 4. Everyone then travels through the tunnel which is analogous to your home router.

At the exit of the tunnel, there's a traffic cop who redirects each car to the appropriate lane of a 4 lane highway again. People with a 1 on the windshield get directed to lane 1 and so on. So when you think about it, even if the tunnel was single lane, each car was really traveling through 4 virtual lanes.

Down the road, when you come back in the opposite direction, there is a second single lane tunnel, but your car still has the same lane # on the windshield. The same process occurs in reverse.

When you get back in your driveway, you pull the sticker off your windshield and the process starts over.

MOLON LABE
T
tzone Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by tzone
got the boot off an outdoors site that is run like Nazi's and I told them so.

It makes this site soooo much better.

Let me know how it goes - I've been trying to post this on the Vikings' blogs and keep getting the boot...

[Linked Image]

TFF!

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Ok this I might know just a wee bit about

- you DSL connection or Cablemodem typically caches your IP address via a "lease" which means as long as your cable modem or dsl modem is on and up you have the same IP, unless you leave it off longer than the lease period and it expires and someone else gets it.

A bit of good news - in the next few years as we run out of IPv4 address the ones we use will get rotated around alot more.

So if you want a new IP shut off your modem for a night.

Spot

B
B
I kept the following instructions to change my ip
1.Go -> Start
2.Run ->cmd
In the command prompt, type in
Ipconfig /release
Then type in
Ipconfig /renew
Then i got new ip .I checked my ip to find whether it is changed or not at http://www.ip-details.com/ Using this way you can easily change your ip address within short time period.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, second post is to revive a 2-1/2 year old post?

Last edited by NathanL; 02/06/13.

Otto is my co-pilot.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Beat me to it.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
B
Originally Posted by 1234567
What is an IP address, and how does it work?

It is something for computers that works sort of like caller ID on a telephone?

Internet Protocol Address (or IP Address) is an unique address that computing devices use to identify itself and communicate with other devices in the Internet Protocol network. Any device connected to the IP network must have an unique IP address within its network.
There are two types of ip address.
1.static ip
2.dynamic ip
Static Ip-address:
Static Ip-address will not change if you refresh the modem or switch off and on the modem again.It's remains same.
Dynamic Ip-address:
Dynamic Ip-address will change whenever you refresh the modem a new ip allocated for you......
If you need your computer ip do the following instructions
For Windows xp
1.start->Run
2.cmd
3.Type ipconfig
4.press enter
You can find your external ip address using any one of the online site .Recently i checked my ip address using ip-details.com

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't touch that website with a 10-foot hoe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by balkani
I kept the following instructions to change my ip
1.Go -> Start
2.Run ->cmd
In the command prompt, type in
Ipconfig /release
Then type in
Ipconfig /renew
Then i got new ip .I checked my ip to find whether it is changed or not at http://www.ip-details.com/ Using this way you can easily change your ip address within short time period.

You're full of shiite, SPAMMER!
Campers, do not go to the site he's linking to!

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
aigh! Don't quote him! smile

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by GotAmmo
A good one is Hidemyass.com

I believe there rated the #1 VPN but alittle rich for my taste.I can't see how one VPN can be that much better than another for private use,excluding business. There are free ones out there. In my case, Trust or a well known VPN is important. Norton is coming out with one soon for both android and apple products running $50 a year to never worry about public WIFI and security.

Jayco

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Dude -

on cable and DSL you get a SINGLE IP address, and your cable modem or DSL modem does a "NAT" network address translation.
Your modem assigns you a local IP address for your "home" network, and when you send something to the Intenret it swaps out the IP address with your modem's address.

So which do you want to know -
How to change your internal address - only works for you locally, and not what you want so IP/release is not the solution.
How to change the IP address the ISP gave to your modem.. That occurs over time with some providers, most of the do static assignments but they do roll them every once and a while.

One of the best ways to roll your IP address is to power down your modem for a day or so, even shorter. When someone else's IP get's rolled your's is in the pool and it gets changed.

Other than that use an autonomizer as stated above to change your IP address.
JUST SO EVERYONE KNOWS - your mostly tracked via your IP address on EVERY sight you visit.

I'm in the industry -
Cya.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

260 members (257 mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 22 invisible), 1,749 guests, and 1,036 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,389
Posts18,469,819
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.