Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
TCRken Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

A couple months back I posted some discussion on my restoration and restocking of some of my non-collectable Winchesters. As I stated, I am not a serious collector but do appreciate old Winchesters in a state where they were not collectable but could be brought to a condition of restoration as close to factory original as possible.

I posted a link to my pre-WWII Winchester 52B Standard Target with a heavy bull barrel and gave the history of it.

My newest attempt is the restoration of a transition (1948) model 70 that had seen better days.

At the time, I also mentioned I was in the later stages of fitting and finishing a restock of an 1886 that was originally manufactured in 1890. The owner (of the time) sent it to Winchester around 1912 for a new barrel and caliber change and other �upgrades�. I had done a restoration of the rifle in the mid 90�s only to have the stock and forearm severely damaged when a stack of rifles fell on it while at the range. I can send the details of the Winchester factory change if anyone is curious and missed it in my earlier post in October/November of last year.

After a number of years sitting with the damage in my gun safe I brought it out last year and with the help of Rob Silverhill (stockmaker) I was able to get a stock and forearm for fitting and finishing. Following a winter hiatus in Florida I�ve come back to home and recently finished the '86 work. I�ve put 12 coats of Brownells stock finish with each coat rubbed out after a 48 hour or longer drying time. I used the Brownells French Red filler and stain after the previous months of fitting, steaming, and sanding the rough stock/forearm.

I�ve included a link below to a photo of the completed work. I am curious for those who are collectors and know old Winchesters how close/good/bad the stock color and finish is to one of the pre-first world war era?

I�m not about to change it, as it was a bit of evening hours and suits me, but I am curious as to what the factory color would have been, lighter/darker/?? You can be assured I�m going to carefully place it in a rifle stack and where others cannot fall against it. As I earlier posted, I do shoot this rifle and it is not a SAFE/Wall hanger.

The photo also shows the receiver and how it looks after the gunsmith had done his work to obviate where it had been drilled and tapped for a side mount scope in the decades earlier.

http://www.lonespruce.net/images/861.jpg

Now I�ve started the Win70 stock fitting work and think I will continue to use the Brownells product for the finish work.

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Bluing looks more black than original but the wood looks genuine IMO. Good job.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,862 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,993
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.