Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
I did a search in this forum for "Ear Protection" and didn't get any hits. Was looking for suggestions on what you guys wear for shooting handguns. Looking online it looks like the better devices are in the $200 and up range. I guess my question is, can you buy a decent device for under $100, or am I just throwing my money away? Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There�s really no need to spend alot of money. Unless you have need for the features of electronics, get a decent set of passive protectors and double down with foam earplugs.

I use electronic headsets sometimes when instructing, but the various passives I have probably get more use. In really hot weather, I use a set of custom molded earplugs but they don�t protect as well as over the head, passive headsets.

I�m personally partial to the Peltor brand, but there are certainly others worthy of consideration.

Last edited by 41magfan; 02/12/13.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Exactly what 41magfan said. Double up ear plugs and cheap head-gear....it works great.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have both standard and electronic Peltor's and I doubt I'd buy the electronic ones again. One side went out pretty early on, and truth be told, I don�t use them as much as the simple, cheap ones. If you need more sound buffing, then like they said; double up. I think the squishy �Mac�s� silicone earplugs work very well under muffs. But earmuffs will always work best because they cover the whole ear. I�m VERY protective of my hearing these days. I�ve lost a little up there in the frequencies that dogs hear so I want to make sure it never gets down to the normal tones. I also have tinnitus and that�s downright annoying.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thank you guys. Exactly the information I was looking for. Heading over to Bass Pro and I'll pick up some $30-40 headsets to go with the foam earplugs.

IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Kevin, I also have tinnitus, and your right, it's a major PITA. Doc says there's no cure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lightning
Kevin, I also have tinnitus, and your right, it's a major PITA. Doc says there's no cure.
There�s an OTC thing called Lipo-Flavonoid that has worked for some. Other than that I wanna say they give you Zanax if it gets too annoying. Mine is REALLY loud�takes a rock concert before I don�t hear it at all. But as long as I have background noise, while I do hear it, it doesn�t bother me. I�ve learned to sleep with it, so I�m doing okay. There�s only been a couple of days where If I had it on hand, I would have taken something for it. Just an annoyance. Now if it was my ex-wife�s voice rather than a high pitched sound; then I�d ever medicate or eat a bullet grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+1 on the annoying x-wife voice

Like oats through a horses ass, so are the days of my life
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I too run ear plugs with ear muffs over them...for all my range practice.

I usually tote plugs in the woods too but those are the silicon type on a string. They are quicker and easier to insert quickly when hunting.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a gizmo I got from the NRA catalog several years ago. Sort a square plastic tube arrangement that goes over the head, with replaceable foam tubular ends that go in your ears. You can hear pretty well with them on, but they shut down firearms noise great. Problem is with anything in the ear, I have to take out my hearing aids to use them. Not a big problem, but then have to keep track of a couple expensive little buggers..... I'm going to see my hearing aid guy for some individually molded jobs that go in the ear (hearing aids) that are also hearing protectors. Kinda pricey but... Since getting hearing aids my tinnitus is much less troublesome, for whatever reason.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lightning
I did a search in this forum for "Ear Protection" and didn't get any hits. Was looking for suggestions on what you guys wear for shooting handguns. Looking online it looks like the better devices are in the $200 and up range. I guess my question is, can you buy a decent device for under $100, or am I just throwing my money away? Thoughts and suggestions welcome!

For me, it depends on the handgun.. I keep a set of Silencio Magnum muffs hanging in my shop to be used for all test firing of firearms.

For 22s or similar you won't need much. Any of the cheaper muffs will be fine. Once you bump up to somethin' heavier it's wise to amp up the muff to one that has more damping.. For my deer-hunting Rugers (.44M and .45LC/.454C) I use the Peltor Tac-6 electronics. I can hear deer noises better with the amplification and yet they shut down in a nanosecond when the revolvers are fired..

You may want to have a couple of different sets around for different scenarios.. Most can be had for $20-40; save the electronics which reach can reach $100 in a hurry..

I cannot use ear plugs.. In my case, they're worthless and they're extremely uncomfortable.. YMMV

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM RockyRaab

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

Turdlike, by default.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run cheap over the ear protection....no electronics, and they work great

As in cheap, I think paid 20-30 but they work great

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And pay attention to the Noise Reduction Rating. Hearing protection will commonly run between 21 decibels and 31 decibels in noise reduction.

Most elctronic ear muffs are 25db or less. Cheap-o foam inserts are usually 29db or 30db. I wear Peltor non-electronic muffs that are rated at 31db and, likely many here do, some inserts as well. Admittedly, my inserts are tri-flange design and only rated at 26db. I wear the rubbery tri-flange because (1) At our bowling pin shoots, I can put them in and out often without having to wait for foam to expand, and (2) They are reusable. I get several months out of one pair of corded inserts. But, in combination with muffs, I am quite deaf on the firing line. smile

I lost a lot of my hearing shooting shotguns as a kid (without ear plugs, of course). I lost more during my stint in Field Artillery with the Army. I plan to keep what I have left.

Take care!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been using some inexpensive electronic muff under caldwell's name, they've been really good (surprised). Pistol range is more dynamic, stuff going on, than rifle/shotgun ranges here and am much more comfortable being able to hear what's going on in the background.

For rifle, use mil type plugs (yellow/green) yellow out for voice, and muffs over those just when shooting. Really quiet, and still reasonably protected if caught unaware behind the line.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Oh, and re: pistol ranges - bring the ones that have the best noise reduction and NOT the electronics (BTDT, BIG mistake)... Obtain a set with 30+ dba reduction.. Those indoor ranges REALLY, REALLY amplify sound..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I look at this differently I guess and feel this is not a place to take the cheapest way out. When your hearing goes, usually high-end frequencies first for us shooters. This is nerve damage and it's gone forever and may result in tinnitus if you don't have it already.

I have Cabela's Pro muffs and they have done well for years and also have Magnum
Ears, digital in-the-the ear units. Both magnify normal ambient sounds but cut off sudden high frquency sounds like gunshots. Neither were inexpensive, especially the digital protectors but I want to hear when I'm old (older grin). And you can hear most normal sounds and conversation while using either.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have a cheap set in my gun bag I've used for 30 years. for some reason (one of my 2 boys)they were not in my bag last time I went to the range, so I rented a pair. Wow! What a difference! I need to upgrade.

ALCOHOL TOBACCO & FIREARMS
Should be a covenience store, not a government agency.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Thanks for all the responses. I picked up a couple of $30 headsets at Bass pro, and used them with the foam ear plugs and I was surprised how well they worked.
The 2 I picked up had a NRR rating of 28. The ones I saw that were 30NRR and above were priced at $79 and above, atleast at Bass pro. I bought a set for the wife also, so for $60 I'll be happy if these last a few years. Have only used them outdoors so far. It will be interesting to see if I'm still happy with them after shooting at an indoor range.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 22250rem, 204guy, 17CalFan, 222ND, 67 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,428 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,941
Posts18,480,065
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.