Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Have you guys seen the new Stone Glacier Approach Pack? It looks VERY cool!

- 2700 cu in (1896 cu in main bag) w/ integrated spotting scope pocket (works for straight or angled)
- Expandable load shelf w/ 130 lb load rating
- 3.3 lbs

I like how it keeps the meat away from the pack's main bag but close to the body. It's like an MR Crew Cab but at half the weight. Would make for a nice minimalist day pack or something you could bivy with for an overnight or weekend. You can also use the frame and swap out bags for a 3300 or 6000 cu in bag that they make for extended trips.

http://www.stoneglacier.com/approach.html

http://www.schnees.com/product/STONE-GLACIER-Approach-1800-Pack/luggage-packs-bags

Eric

[Linked Image]

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have not seen the Approach, but I have the Solo; and if it was me I would go with the Solo because it (the Solo) is only $20 more and it is much larger. Here is the spec difference.

*The Solo weighs only 3.32 oz. more. And it can suck down very small for day use.

The Solo is almost 2x bigger (3334 ci for Solo vs. 1896 ci for Approach)- So the Approach is only about 55% of the volume of the Solo.

IMO- 1896 ci. is a very small day pack- even if it does have the load/wt. carrying capacity of the frame. I have very small light weight gear and I do not think there is anyway I could "bivy with for an overnight or weekend" with the Approach. Solo pack- no problem.

Plus I can attach a couple small light wt. pack bags to the Stone Glacier frame itself if I wanted to run something smaller than a Solo for day use.

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I ordered the Approach and will be getting it on Monday.

It's 2700 cu in including the scope pouch (1,896 figure is just the main bag), which is more than enough for day hunts. You can also insert a dry bag in the load shelf to get a total 4500 cu in capacity if needed. I won't know if it will work until I eyeball it and if it is too small, I can swap it out for the Solo. I'll report back once I have a chance to see it in person.

Llama2 - Are you liking the Solo so far?

Cheers,
Eric

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I think the Solo is versatile enough that the Approach is extraneous, but that's just my opinion and personal needs. I packed a mule deer out with the Solo last year and was impressed enough to pay full price for one. I have had multiple NICE frame packs and currently have a Timberline as well. They're all good. Hope the approach works out for you.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Kurt and Jason seem to be in lock step. Kuiu just came out with this...

http://blog.kuiu.com/2013/01/30/introducing-the-icon-1850/

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
They are friends and share ideas.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I got a solo just in time for last season. I'm impressed

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Add me to the list of folks who love the Solo. Awesome pack!

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Man, now I'm really questioning whether I should have gotten a Solo. I'll be laying eyeballs on the Approach tomorrow.

Eric

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I also bought a Solo last fall and I am completely happy with it.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
IC B3

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I just got the Approach in the mail.

First impression when I picked up the box was DANG, THIS IS LIGHT!! smile

Opened it up and unveiled the pack. It's a great size! This will be perfect for day hunts and I see no need to move up into a Solo until I start backpack hunting. I really like the design. No BS, pure function. The scope pocket and tripod holder are made for quick access. The main compartment will hold everything I need for a day. I could see hauling a$$ in this pack. There's a water bladder hanger. There are very few pockets, inside or out. I'm going to throw some weights in it tonight to see how it feels in haul out mode.

It looks like a keeper.

Eric

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So... I filled it with 50 lbs of weight and walked around for a few hours tonight. I might return it. I couldn't get used to the stiff backboard and ride. There was a gap where my lower back curves and it seemed to want to ride low, even though I adjusted according to the instructions. I also stuffed it with my day gear and the main bag (1800'ish cu in) seemed smaller than on first impression. I'm going to sleep on it... I think the Solo may be more practical.

Eric

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
What did you decide? Any luck getting the pack to fit you better?

It appears the straight frame may not work for you. I'm starting to think I'll be in the same boat. Which is too bad.

So what's the deal on these straight frames anyways? Generally these would be for real skinny guys with no ass, correct?

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I returned the Approach pack to Schnees today.

It's a bummer because I really wanted to like this pack. The Solo has the same frame... I've never had any fit issues with internal frames, so I think it might just be a problem if you have curvature in your lower back and an ass. lol. I don't know. I watched their fitting video multiple times and adjusted as they recommended but the ride just didn't feel right.

I sold an MR Bighorn to go this route and think I may go full circle. I should have kept that pack.

I may get a Kifaru. We'll see.

Eric

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I hear you on liking the pack. They are very simple and light! I had hopes.... I watched a video from Kifaru to see what kind of stays would work best. After doing that, and now reading your feedback, I came to the conclusion straight frames or flat back stays probably aren't the best option for me. I'm now also looking at Kifaru, with their standard stays.

EricM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Fisky, did you get the Solo?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I didn't. I was going to pull the trigger on a Terminus once we got a little closer to Spring. Now I may be ordering a Kifaru Bikini and Highcamp bag instead.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Eric,

Sending you a PM in regards to your ? to me above earlier.

S
S
EricM,
Sorry to hear the Approach didn�t work for you. There are several hip belt adjustments that can be made to account for lower back curvature including moving the belt vertically on the frame as well as adding the lumbar pad accessory. If you are ever interested in trying a Solo with the lumbar support, feel free to contact me and I will arrange shipping one to you and personally work with you on fit. Thanks for trying Stone Glacier and best of luck finding the pack that works for you.
Kurt Racicot

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
EricM,

I was going to ask if you called or emailed Kurt to help with the pack fit, but I see he beat me to it. smile

Last edited by elkhunter_241; 02/13/13.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (10ring1, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,984
Posts18,499,786
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.