Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
The higher it goes the harder the correction.A schit storm is coming with the QE . Inflation has me really concerned.

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Laguna
How did the Dow reach 14,000? Who benefited? Who are the losers?

Nearly every pension fund in the nation is heavily invested in the market. If the market falls, everyone in our nation who's relying upon a pension will be harmed. Therefore, politicians on both sides of the aisle will stop at nothing to prop up the market, even if the market's actual value is illusory.

The market is now the game of the wealthy. The rich are making lots of $$$, and the rest of us are paying for it right now. Inflation resulting from the Fed's printing funny money in order to fund QE's 1, 2, & 3 has forced us to pay more and receive less. And our children and their children will pay the tremendous debts of the QE's.

The market, like all stretched bubbles, will burst.

Soaring Dow

Don't usually agree with your posts but this one is spot on.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I had a meeting with my Financial Advisor last week. He said there is no logical reason for the market to be as high as it is. It is has no real foundation under it. Also he said the market is long past due for a correction. It's time to be cautious. A quote he has used in the past is "Pigs get fat, Hogs get slaughtered"

3825 24336
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
FYI: The government guarantess most corproate defined benefit (*NOT* 401K) pensions.

http://www.pbgc.gov/

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
My neighbor is an Econ professor at the state university.

He is very concerned about inflation.

This market is pure speculation now. Remember the housing market in and mortgage backed securities in2005?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ribka
My neighbor is an Econ professor at the state university.

He is very concerned about inflation.

This market is pure speculation now. Remember the housing market in and mortgage backed securities in2005?

Every Libtard I know tells me the market is on firm footing and not built on a housing bubble. grin I remind them that Bawney Frank and a couple of crooks were responsible for the last one and that a negative growth economy cannot drive a 14000 dow. Yea something is going to give.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Think about it in real dollar terms

in 2000 we hit dow ~11,500
in 2013 with dow 14,000

Our dollar is worth ~70% of what it was in 2000.

Whats your RTI for those 13 years in real dollar terms ?

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
Another bubble ready to burst.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Is anyone else thinking that this house of cards is coming down very soon?
I am considering getting rid of all my stocks this week, and moving into money market or bonds for a while. Not expecting to make much at all doing that.
If I move into bonds, I have the option to get back into stocks without penalty when I believe the market has bottomed out.
If anyone has other ideas, I'd like to hear them!

Have an A1 Day!
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'm about of the notion that we need to kick this war off and get it over with.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What war?

Have an A1 Day!
IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by heavywalker
And everyone loves inflation for now. Scary times ahead folks...

That is quite a telling number...tells one a lot of things to people with a brain.The libs unfortunately equate a high dow number with a strong economy.

of course a dropping Dow is a sign of a failing economy. So, apparently no matter what the Dow does .... It's Obama's fault.
International shipping is down about 20% from its 5 year average.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Cheesehunter
I am considering getting rid of all my stocks this week, and moving into money market or bonds for a while. Not expecting to make much at all doing that.
If I move into bonds, I have the option to get back into stocks without penalty when I believe the market has bottomed out.

Back in summer of 07 I started selling my stock and mutual funds at opportune spikes, going to cash. I was a bit early but was satisfied to wait for a spell and along came fall/winter of 08. Loaded back up on select stocks and am now going back to cash and will be by the end of this month with no plans to ever return back to the mkt.

Ya'll can have it all and I do feel deeply for the younger guys and gals out there for what is ahead of them in their needs to accumulate for their futures. This ain't your Mom and Dad's economy anymore.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Gfy

Last edited by fredIII; 02/11/13.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by BrentD
Originally Posted by Laguna
The market is now the game of the wealthy. The rich are making lots of $$$, and the rest of us are paying for it right now.

That's okay. As long as they don't get taxed for it, all is good.

Wow, you show up everywhere where a stupid post is needed. Another priceless gem by a guy with a chip on his shoulder and no doubt hasn't got a fair shake in life. Perhaps you're more effective protecting harmless wolves, no I take that back you don't do that we'll either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

This might be an interesting read for you:
http://www.mauldineconomics.com/outsidethebox/2013-investment-themes

The Grand Disconnect
In our October 2012 Insight, we analyzed in depth the Grand Disconnect between the economies around the world, which are growing anemically at best, and investors who couldn�t care less as long as central banks are shoveling liquidity out their doors. �Don�t fight the Fed� is the rallying cry, especially among congenital equity bulls. And in 2012, at least the latter part, they got their wishes. Virtually every major stock market rose � in the U.S., U.K., the Continent and Japan, in China, Australia, Canada and even woeful Greece.
Nevertheless, the Grand Disconnect between sluggish global economies and robust equities, driven by never-ending monetary and fiscal stimuli, is profoundly unhealthy � and a reconnection is inevitable. Of course, there is that slim, remote, inconsequential, trivial probability that our forecast of global deleveraging, of continuing global economic weakness and of recession is dead wrong, and that all the government stimuli and other forces will revive economies enough to justify current investor enthusiasm. We doubt it, however.

I too am getting ready to shift most of our holdings out of stocks. It is just a matter of when.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With regards to investing your hard earned money . . . I am 60 years old and have only been seriously investing for a little over a year. So take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I grew up somewhat familiar with the stock market. My dad (child of the Great Depression) was a very successful investors and read the stock tables every morning in the newspaper. I couldn't make hide nor hair out of them and soon lost interest. My dad would buy us boys some stock and show us how it was growing, and give us some "dividend" payments from time to time to try and spark an interest in the concept of saving and investing. His limited but consistent advice was "always pay yourself first."

Well I never did follow my dad's advice. A year ago, when I finally came to my senses and realized I had wasted my entire life making and spending my money, and saving very little, I panicked and started subscribing to several investing newsletters and reading a few investing books to try and educate myself. All of these publications had one thing in common . . . they all touted the philosophy of "buy low and sell high."

A friend of mine at work introduced me to another concept . . . "Buy high and sell higher," authored by Investor Business Daily founder William J. O'Neil. Up to this point I was simply using my gut instinct and a hope and a prayer to try and make the proper investment choices in my 401K and IRAs I opened for me and my wife. I was failing miserably and losing money. So I bought one of O'Neil most famous books (you can click the book photo for more detail):

[Linked Image]

For once, I realized you had to have a proven "system" to make money in stocks. I have since read several more of his books, subscribed to his paper and web site, and attended at least one workshop. I can 100% recommend his investment strategy (CAN-SLIM) as the near fool-proof way to make money and limit your losses (preserve investing capital.)

So I leave it with you to make up your own mind as to whether you want to read his book and follow his system. For me, a new investor with limited knowledge, I can say it is working for me and I find following stocks (U.S. companies as O'Neil recommends) is an enjoyable, stimulating endeavor which I feel I can do for the rest of my life and survive retirement.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One market driver is that this protracted period of ultra low rates has made it so painful to be in CD's/cash, that people are putting their money at risk in the market-- blindly in many cases, just to get some yield.
Historically, when irrational exuberance (for tech stocks, real estate, whatever) attracts large inflows, the correction comes.
Sadly, that's when folks with short time horizons or low risk tolerance pull back to cash- locking in the loss.

If we end up with inflation, rates will likely rise, hurting bond holders most.

Somewhat perversely, the market is the only place you can get some protection from inflation...

Catch 22.

"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Southerntier8

This might be an interesting read for you:
http://www.mauldineconomics.com/outsidethebox/2013-investment-themes

The Grand Disconnect
In our October 2012 Insight, we analyzed in depth the Grand Disconnect between the economies around the world, which are growing anemically at best, and investors who couldn�t care less as long as central banks are shoveling liquidity out their doors. �Don�t fight the Fed� is the rallying cry, especially among congenital equity bulls. And in 2012, at least the latter part, they got their wishes. Virtually every major stock market rose � in the U.S., U.K., the Continent and Japan, in China, Australia, Canada and even woeful Greece.
Nevertheless, the Grand Disconnect between sluggish global economies and robust equities, driven by never-ending monetary and fiscal stimuli, is profoundly unhealthy � and a reconnection is inevitable. Of course, there is that slim, remote, inconsequential, trivial probability that our forecast of global deleveraging, of continuing global economic weakness and of recession is dead wrong, and that all the government stimuli and other forces will revive economies enough to justify current investor enthusiasm. We doubt it, however.

I too am getting ready to shift most of our holdings out of stocks. It is just a matter of when.

I gleaned this good advice from your article:

"What is an investor to do, caught up in a not-so-slow-motion landslide like this? Gary gives us a �risk-on� list; but he emphasizes that it�s temporary, because the Grand Disconnect is unsustainable � the next significant macroeconomic shock could plunge us right into risk-off mode, and we must be nimble, lest the Grand Reconnect catch us unawares."

I have learned from William J. O'Neil that you have to watch your investments on a daily basis. Have concrete sell rules to limit your losses and preserve capital. Invest only in a confirmed market uptrend. Follow institutional investors buying only within 5% of a proper buy point.

While the market is soaring I'm all in. If it declines I'm out. If you do what this gentleman recommends . . . be nimble and aware of what is happening . . . you'll be fine and richer for your effort.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Yes if people are worried about inflation, stocks have proven to be one of the best investments in inflationary times.

Campfire Ranger
Online Shocked
Campfire Ranger
looks like to the top 2% are going to move up...where do they go?

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1936M71, 160user, 22250rem, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,702
Posts18,475,262
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.