B
Rick, how did they feel weight wise?

RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BWalker
Rick, how did they feel weight wise?

Not light, and not heavy. As a bino only, it feels like a robust build in hand. When you consider that the rangefinder and electronics are melded into the package (really well from an ergonomic standpoint), my takeaway is that weight is on par and completely not an issue. It's done right.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ConradCA
What is the price?

Just under $3k...

On the weight issue... Using a full-size bino and carrying a Leica 1600LRF, which weigh more combined than these, have another deficit in that the combo unit utilizes the weight of each for better damping and stability.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SpanielDog
Hi guys, I work for Leica and am here at SHOT. BTW, thanks for a great mention Rick! Everyone who visits our booth picks these up thinks they're LIGHTER, not 2oz heavier, than the current Geovids. Mr Howell, I'm sorry your experience was so lackluster with our early Geovids. I can only assure you that today, things are different. As far as accuracy goes, these are accurate to +/-1y @ 550y, 2y @ 1100, .5% of distance measured after that. As far as ranging a fence rather than what is beyond it, that would be possible in some situations, mainly with our (much) older products that measured based on the first return of the laser the sensor received. Now we use a multi-gated return that takes 100s of measurements to give one distance. Too much to fully explain here, but it keeps the system from being spoofed. Our lasers are accurate, durable, and reliable enough today that they're being asked for by name and used in combat by some of the most elite units in the military, and we neither build for, nor market to them. Please excuse any typos. It was a long day at SHOT and I'm using an iPad. If anyone here has specific questions about this or any Leica product, feel free to contact me.

It was good talking with you yesterday!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
Street price?

At least 200 tricks for momma.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
One test that my stroke and rehab aborted was five large panels � black, white, blue, green, and red � all with the same reflectivity, all at the same distance.

Never assume that manufacturers' advertised claims are accurate! Some times, they are. Some times, they aren't. Check 'em!

How would you determine the actual color of the panels? As civilian LRFs will use light waves outside the visible spectrum (IR or more likely UV) the only way the panels could affect the LRF light is if their color included a color to match the LRF wavelength, thereby absorbing it in quantity and/or changing it, but without affecting reflectance in the visible spectrum...

In other words, your test would not be testing what you think it would/could. It would be a way to test the true color of the panels... if only you knew the actual color of the laser.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Years ago, I field-tested what was then the top of Leica's optical range-finders. I found three problems, each of which gave me a drastically inaccurate "measure" of the actual distance �

� It "ranged" on a wire fence that was much closer to me than the building that I was aiming at through the fence.

� It gave me radically different distances to (a) the shiny side of a just-washed car and (b) a shrub that was right beside the car.

� On a rather even plain, it ranged on a somewhat larger object that was far beyond the rather small closer object that I was aiming at.

Triangulation is still far superior to reflection as a way to "measure" distance. The "accuracy" of the modern electronics is often an illusion.

And I remember getting a Leica LRF600 when they first came out and being amazed... Then the 1200 proved capable of measuring the difference between the near side tire on a pick-up truck and the opposite side tire on the same truck from a fairly steep angle at about 45 yards... Suggesting today's civilian LRF falls short of civilian triangulation technology more than a decade old is silly.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by SpanielDog
Hi guys, I work for Leica and am here at SHOT. BTW, thanks for a great mention Rick! Everyone who visits our booth picks these up thinks they're LIGHTER, not 2oz heavier, than the current Geovids. Mr Howell, I'm sorry your experience was so lackluster with our early Geovids. I can only assure you that today, things are different. As far as accuracy goes, these are accurate to +/-1y @ 550y, 2y @ 1100, .5% of distance measured after that. As far as ranging a fence rather than what is beyond it, that would be possible in some situations, mainly with our (much) older products that measured based on the first return of the laser the sensor received. Now we use a multi-gated return that takes 100s of measurements to give one distance. Too much to fully explain here, but it keeps the system from being spoofed. Our lasers are accurate, durable, and reliable enough today that they're being asked for by name and used in combat by some of the most elite units in the military, and we neither build for, nor market to them. Please excuse any typos. It was a long day at SHOT and I'm using an iPad. If anyone here has specific questions about this or any Leica product, feel free to contact me.

Which ballistics program is the Geovid programed with ? Which Model for the bullets BC does the program use?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mostly to bring this back to the top of the hill...

I could be mistaken, but I believe the system is extremely flexible and allows about any custom load/tested trajectory/canned program/whatever to be used.

But I have no clue what the default program is.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Originally Posted by smalljawbasser
Street price?

At least 200 tricks for momma.

No way. Your momma doesn't charge that much now does she?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
IMHO trusting a rangefinder to a single reading is not smart.

I range an object a few times to verify and then range other objects either side to confirm.

Just makes sense regardless how good of a tool you are using.

Not unlike reading the wind. I don't use just mirage or grass, but a combo of a lot of factors to decide what the true answer is.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Years ago, I field-tested what was then the top of Leica's optical range-finders. I found three problems, each of which gave me a drastically inaccurate "measure" of the actual distance �

� It "ranged" on a wire fence that was much closer to me than the building that I was aiming at through the fence.

� It gave me radically different distances to (a) the shiny side of a just-washed car and (b) a shrub that was right beside the car.

� On a rather even plain, it ranged on a somewhat larger object that was far beyond the rather small closer object that I was aiming at.

Triangulation is still far superior to reflection as a way to "measure" distance. The "accuracy" of the modern electronics is often an illusion.

Years ago calculators took up whole buildings, cell phones didnt exist and 300 yards was considered "long range".

Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too looked at them at SHOT and SCI and was more impressed with the way they felt and the fact that they use a modified form of Porro prism , rather than a roof prism. They felt light and very comfortable in the hand and optically they appeared fantastic.
Oh yea, they told me that they had a nice range-finder inside as well.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've been using the Geovid 8X43's for about 5-6 years now. I absolutely love them. I may need to upgrade sometime this year!

Terry

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have like the Leica products since my 8x32 bought more than 10 years ago. It still out paces my Swaro and all my hunting partners equipment in our field comparisons.

I'll definitely have to find this new rig and get in my mitts. The only downside for me is the price. May have to stick with a newer 8x30 and my old CRF. A combo tool such as this would certainly make shot set up quicker.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
S
S
Hey Taz, Sorry I've taken so long to reply. I must have missed your question concerning what program we use. I can only say that the program was designed by a guy who owns a company that rhymes with Fun Smirks and Bee Heaven. : )

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,036 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,761
Posts18,495,528
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.