Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thought this was interesting. edit - Says four of them took photos, wish they had put a couple with this article.

Link:

http://www.twincities.com/minnesota/ci_22560601/minnesota-black-bear-is-worlds-oldest-known-wild

World's oldest known wild bear makes its home in Minnesota
By Sam Cook
Duluth News Tribune
Posted: 02/10/2013 12:01:00 AM CST
Updated: 02/10/2013 08:14:28 PM CST

Karen Noyce set the frequency on her radio-telemetry receiver and pointed its antenna into the pines of Chippewa National Forest near Marcell last week. Noyce heard high-pitched intermittent chirps.

"That's her," said Noyce, a wildlife research biologist with the Minnesota DNR in Grand Rapids.

South of us, the oldest known wild bear in the world -- 39 years old -- was resting peacefully in her den,

Noyce began walking south, along with Dave Garshelis, the DNR's bear project leader.

"No known bears of any species have lived longer in the wild, based on age estimates from teeth taken from harvested bears," Garshelis said. "(That includes) more than 60,000 specimens just in Minnesota and at least a million overall."

Several hundred yards from the road, we could see the den.

And, there, under an upturned stump with roots dangling from a 15-by-15-inch opening, was the bear that biologists call No. 56. She stirred slowly. In hibernation, Garshelis said, bears remain drowsy, body temperature falls from 99 to about 90 degrees, their heart beats more slowly, becoming intermittent.

"She's missing part of her right ear tag," Garshelis whispered.

Four of us recorded video of No. 56 and took photographs for perhaps half an hour.

Wildlife biologists know that she is 39 years old because they counted seven rings in a tooth they extracted from her in 1981, when she was first captured and radio-collared. That reliable aging technique indicated the bear had
been born in 1974. Researchers track her now because her longevity is so remarkable.

Since 1981, the DNR has radio-collared and tracked more than 550 black bears. The next oldest bears in those studies included two that reached age 23. One is a granddaughter of No. 56.

"Half the females in Minnesota don't live past age 4," Garshelis said. How does No. 56 do it?

"She has stayed away from houses and hunters' baits," Garshelis said, "We've (lately) made a concerted effort to ask people not to shoot her, even if she does come to a bait."

Over the years, she produced 11 litters and 28 or 29 cubs. She first gave birth at age 5 and last produced a cub at age 25, Garshelis said.

Only 14 of more than 350 radio-collared bears tracked by the DNR have died naturally. "We're hoping she doesn't die due to a human cause," Garshelis said.

Noyce plans to place cameras near the den. In late March, the videos may show the oldest known bear in the wild, emerging into another Minnesota spring.

Last edited by slopshot1; 02/16/13.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
39 years is pretty cool when you consider what all happened in the world around that bear.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Incredible.

39 years old...amazing!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Very interesting

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
That's great. Assuming she's had young a lot if not all of the years, she's been a great asset to her species.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I hunted one unsuccessfully one fall that was killed the next year by a local hunter and aged at 27 years. It was the longest bear I'd ever seen in the wild, and I've seen hundreds of bears. This is a remarkable bear to have lived 39 years. It would be super interesting to follow an old bear like this and learn it's habits. They live a solitary life.

LOL
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slopshot1
Wildlife biologists know that she is 39 years old because they counted seven rings in a tooth they extracted from her in 1981, when she was first captured and radio-collared. That reliable aging technique indicated the bear had
been born in 1974.

Over the years, she produced 11 litters and 28 or 29 cubs. She first gave birth at age 5 and last produced a cub at age 25, Garshelis said.

This is a cool story and all but I don't understand this part.

If they first captured and radio collared her in 1981 and she was born in 1974 how would they know she gave birth to her first litter at aged 5? that would put her first litter at 1979 2 years before they started to study her.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 12344mag
been born in 1974.

If they first captured and radio collared her in 1981 and she was born in 1974 how would they know she gave birth to her first litter at aged 5? that would put her first litter at 1979 2 years before they started to study her.

probably because she had 2 year old cubs with her grin

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shot one in north Idaho in Sept 2010 that was 28 yrs old, beautiful lots of silver-gray on face and paws. Idaho F&G thinks its prob the oldest sow to come from up there.I was 61 years old then and am thankful everyday for that trip. Good Luck to all.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A buddy of mine had over 40 bears collard at one time in the Great Smokey Mntn N Park and Cherrokee N Forest of E Tenn. I don't know what the average age of them was tho. A cool way to make a livin tho for sure.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Im assuming that this bear is strictly nocturnal now.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oldest bear taken in NY State according to tooth estimates was a female aged at over 40 years old. Forget exactly where I read it but it was a state published article on hunting bears in NY.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

Another possibility other than observation of 2-year-old w/mother.

IRC, I believe it was Lynn Rogers (?) ear tagging new-born and yearling Winter den cubs early '70's, or shortly before then. It was the start of a bear study which is still continuing.

Again IRC, Rogers had some kind of a 'split' with a University. He relocated and started his own study, and not sure where he is these days. I do recall he was around Ely for some time studying bears.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 12344mag
been born in 1974.

Maybe they counted the rings in her beargina?

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
39 years of eating grubs and garbage, living in a cave and having no teeth. I'm sure that bear is hoping someone will shoot it and end the misery...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Oldest bear I ever got was 22 years old. The teeth on that ol boy were about gone.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by FVA
Oldest bear taken in NY State according to tooth estimates was a female aged at over 40 years old. Forget exactly where I read it but it was a state published article on hunting bears in NY.

Found it:
Black bears are aged by
cutting a cross section of
a small premolar tooth and counting
the cementum annuli (annual rings), similar to the technique used by foresters to determine the
age of trees. The oldest wild bear ever aged in New York was 41 years, taken in 1974 during
the regular big game season in Essex County, Town of Newcomb. "

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Lynn is still at it in and around Ely but I hear he has gone over to the dark side--lot of his funding comes from anti's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Actually, non-lefties being funded with lefty's money is kinda cool. (assuming he hasn't been sucked into the pit)

Charge the bastards double.
Take every cent you can get.
Use the excess against them.

Then just stand there and smile.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

370 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 222ND, 50 invisible), 2,465 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,534
Posts18,530,997
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.