Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I need an airline rated case capable of fitting 2 scoped M70's and ammo for them.

Been shopping online, too, but figured I'd ask here in case someone had one they wanted to be rid of. smile

All options entertained.

Thanks!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fyi, you can't have rifle & ammo together.

When Ronald Reagan was president, we had Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.
Now that Barack Obama is president, we have NO hope and NO cash.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
From US Airways's website:

"�Checked ammunition may not exceed 11 lbs/5 kg per person. Ammunition clips with ammunition loaded are not accepted. Ammunition must be packed in the original manufacturing package or constructed of wood, fiber, plastic, or metal and provide separation for cartridges. Ammunition may be checked in the same piece of luggage as a firearm. No additional documentation is required. "

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/traveltools/baggage/specialitems.html

Other airlines seem to have similar policies, but I have not checked EVERY airline, so there may be exceptions.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
tddeangelo:

I would highly suggest if you are going on an international hunt, you have a back-up plan to put your ammo in a separate box (I use a Pelican 1200 case). This became especially important when I was flying back on United out of South Africa. Regardless of what policy states (I flew from Atlanta to South Africa with ammo inside my checked baggage), the South African counter made me separate the ammo. If I didn't have it secured in a Pelican case (or one durable enough to take abuse a as a separately-checked bag), I would have to throw it all out (over $200 worth).

I took a Pelican double rifle case over to Africa with me, and it was definitely big enough to hold two rifles (I only brought one and some gear in the case, but laid out two rifles to see if they'd fit). If you're interested, I'd sell you my Pelican case, which I purchased new, used once to go to Africa, and haven't used it since. It is a model 1750, and if you're familiar with Pelican cases, you could literally throw this bad boy out of an airplane and it would hold together. It comes intact with uncut foam (just as you would receive new), and is essentially in new condition with a few handling marks from being shipped. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks,

John

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I have a brand new Guardforce case that is airline approved that would hold two rifles. I will sell for 125.00 shipped TYD OBO if you are interested get me your e mail and I will send pictures.

Last edited by joelbiltz; 02/17/13.
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Also FWIW. I alway put at least one box of ammo in with my firearm and travel at least once a year and have never had a problem. That way I know for fact if my gun shows up so does at least one box of ammo. I also put ammo in my other luggage.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I have also not had any problem with them in the same case. I think it depends alot on the airline and how big a guy running the checkin counter wants to feel.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,364 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,336
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.