Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have friends in Rexford, MT that have invited me to hunt. There are three of us to go next year. My question.....

Is there a sure-fire method for us three to get a license for Elk/Deer tags?(preference points etc...) The trip won't be possible unless all three of us can draw tags. What do you suggest?Do you have any pointers? Thank you.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just apply, especially if you're wanting general tags. There will be leftover NR big game combo tags if next year is anything like the last couple years.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Mark

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but I would call your friend and ask him if they have anything to hunt.
Most of the people I talk to from the western part of the state say the wolves have the Deer and Elk down to a low numbers.

Several areas in the eastern part of the state are at the lowest number of deer since the 40's.

I wish you the best.

Hal

Last edited by HalH; 02/16/13.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hal... I appreciate your concern. But the pictures they have sent me in the last couple of years have shown several Mulies , WT, and Elk taken. They pack in roughly 15-20 miles by horse and pack mules. I know they wouldn't white-wash me as they are Menonites. Again, thanks for your concern.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When will the "wolves ate all the game" hysteria stop? mtmuley

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Next time I hunt Montana, I hope it's with a resident tag...

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You can apply as a group. That way, either all of you get a license or none of you do. The draw odds have been close to 100% the last couple of years.

Pete

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Appreciate the tip Pete. Thanks again gentelmen.....keep 'em coming......

S
S
In Montana, hunters applying as a �party� generally increase their odds. Good luck.

Regarding the topic expansion related to available big-game...

Use of the cheap term �hysteria�, as an epithet for people with an opposing view, is nuts. Fortunately, Montana wolf management is not relegated to realms of personal opinions or hysteria; instead it is handled by state employees who are supposed to be working with set wildlife management goals.

I'm in the Bitterroot. I used to be a licensed Montana Outfitter (now 65 and retired). Area 270 in the Bitterroot is NOT doing well, actually it�s really bad. In fact, our County Commissioners have threatened to put the wolf matter into their hands. Last fall the FWP enlisted citizen help by instituted a wolf trapping season to remove as many wolves as possible, (hopefully 600) and the Montana wolf trapping & wolf hunting season is still open. I�ve had personal meetings with Mike Thompson, Region 2, Missoula's head biologist and he recognizes the ultimate outcome if wolves continue to expand unchecked.

The wolves have exterminated the deer and elk from areas I�ve hunted for the past 40 years. This is why I met with Mr. Thompson. He knows the devastating truth related to my favorite hunting areas and sympathized. Mr. Thompson is a wildlife biologist and I understand his stance supporting wolves and manageable numbers. In his seminars last fall, he pointed out that unfortunately the results of the fickle court rulings brought long management delays (of several years) interfering with implementation of interventions by the FWP, so now wolf numbers and pack dispersions have become exponential with negative results. Hence, the FWP hopes citizen assistance with wolf removal may bring the numbers down to a level the FWP can cope with via normal management tools. I think the wolf issue is irrational, because it opened Pandora�s Box. Also, people who allude to cheap epithets instead of the truth aren't helping at all as they are not interested in compromise or real outcomes anyway.

Just like Mr. Thompson, I would like to see wolf numbers at the original Federal management goals (around 400); the current number is around 1,000 wolves (maybe 1,100) as quoted by Mr. Thompson in his seminars, which is nearly three times the Federal goal. He said the FWP uses their census of 1,000 because it�s a defensible number when dealing with the Feds. I asked him about true wolf numbers vs. defensible numbers, which brought about some uneasy side-stepping, but he didn�t argue with just like taking a deer census the true number is beyond what you actually SEE. I offered the possibility that for every wolf FWP sees from the air there could be four they don�t see, and he didn�t argue against the assertion. I think the truth is more evident on the ground where deer & elk tracks or droppings are devoid for the last three years where these animals used to be overpopulated.

In Western Montana, Whitetail deer and Elk have been reduced significantly and the Mule deer might not have not suffered as much, at least not yet, but their day is coming when wolves empty the bottoms and are then forced to go higher. My sad local news is two years ago there was a large herd of Whitetail living in the huge meadows outside my door, but now they�ve all disappeared and we see only a rare Muley. A lot of Mule deer have moved out of the mountains and into the bottoms for safety, but the animals choosing to stay high are living on borrowed time. If the wolves don�t get them, then our over abundant Mountain Lion population will.

If you are a non-resident and have ever thought about wanting to hunt Montana I wouldn�t wait too long. I haven�t filled a tag for two years and I know how to hunt, but when there is no game to hunt the outcome is predictable. So, even with tags nothing is guaranteed. Complicating things, Montana has over past years been bought up by people who post their lands ...NO HUNTING, which has crippled a lot of access. A pack trip into the back-country is no guarantee, too. I have friends who are annually avid hardcore Montana hunters with decades of success under their belts (on foot or with pack horses) and they now attribute their success rate to luck and going �EAST, so it�s not just skill; you have to have access to hunt where there is game.

The 2013 deadline for Montana Deer & Elk Permits is March 15. The applications are out and available. I remember Montana the way it WAS ...before a lot of you were born or became Montana hunters. A Montana most of you will never know.

...I spent most of my money on Guns, Women & Booze. The rest I wasted.

...I started out with nothing and after paying for all my hunting I'm getting back to where I started.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Apply for the Big Game Combo tag. You will have higher draw success than an single permit. Cost is upwards of $1000, can't say that it is worth it anymore. There are several other states with much better elk hunting, mule deer hunting and whitetail hunting. Can't say I would pay it now that I am no longer a resident. I've had much better results traveling to other states the past couple years.

Brad Watkins Custom Knives
www.facebook.com/watkinsknives/
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Stoneman
In Montana, hunters applying as a �party� generally increase their odds. Good luck.

Regarding the topic expansion related to available big-game...

Use of the cheap term �hysteria�, as an epithet for people with an opposing view, is nuts. Fortunately, Montana wolf management is not relegated to realms of personal opinions or hysteria; instead it is handled by state employees who are supposed to be working with set wildlife management goals.

I'm in the Bitterroot. I used to be a licensed Montana Outfitter (now 65 and retired). Area 270 in the Bitterroot is NOT doing well, actually it�s really bad. In fact, our County Commissioners have threatened to put the wolf matter into their hands. Last fall the FWP enlisted citizen help by instituted a wolf trapping season to remove as many wolves as possible, (hopefully 600) and the Montana wolf trapping & wolf hunting season is still open. I�ve had personal meetings with Mike Thompson, Region 2, Missoula's head biologist and he recognizes the ultimate outcome if wolves continue to expand unchecked.

The wolves have exterminated the deer and elk from areas I�ve hunted for the past 40 years. This is why I met with Mr. Thompson. He knows the devastating truth related to my favorite hunting areas and sympathized. Mr. Thompson is a wildlife biologist and I understand his stance supporting wolves and manageable numbers. In his seminars last fall, he pointed out that unfortunately the results of the fickle court rulings brought long management delays (of several years) interfering with implementation of interventions by the FWP, so now wolf numbers and pack dispersions have become exponential with negative results. Hence, the FWP hopes citizen assistance with wolf removal may bring the numbers down to a level the FWP can cope with via normal management tools. I think the wolf issue is irrational, because it opened Pandora�s Box. Also, people who allude to cheap epithets instead of the truth aren't helping at all as they are not interested in compromise or real outcomes anyway.

Just like Mr. Thompson, I would like to see wolf numbers at the original Federal management goals (around 400); the current number is around 1,000 wolves (maybe 1,100) as quoted by Mr. Thompson in his seminars, which is nearly three times the Federal goal. He said the FWP uses their census of 1,000 because it�s a defensible number when dealing with the Feds. I asked him about true wolf numbers vs. defensible numbers, which brought about some uneasy side-stepping, but he didn�t argue with just like taking a deer census the true number is beyond what you actually SEE. I offered the possibility that for every wolf FWP sees from the air there could be four they don�t see, and he didn�t argue against the assertion. I think the truth is more evident on the ground where deer & elk tracks or droppings are devoid for the last three years where these animals used to be overpopulated.

In Western Montana, Whitetail deer and Elk have been reduced significantly and the Mule deer might not have not suffered as much, at least not yet, but their day is coming when wolves empty the bottoms and are then forced to go higher. My sad local news is two years ago there was a large herd of Whitetail living in the huge meadows outside my door, but now they�ve all disappeared and we see only a rare Muley. A lot of Mule deer have moved out of the mountains and into the bottoms for safety, but the animals choosing to stay high are living on borrowed time. If the wolves don�t get them, then our over abundant Mountain Lion population will.

If you are a non-resident and have ever thought about wanting to hunt Montana I wouldn�t wait too long. I haven�t filled a tag for two years and I know how to hunt, but when there is no game to hunt the outcome is predictable. So, even with tags nothing is guaranteed. Complicating things, Montana has over past years been bought up by people who post their lands ...NO HUNTING, which has crippled a lot of access. A pack trip into the back-country is no guarantee, too. I have friends who are annually avid hardcore Montana hunters with decades of success under their belts (on foot or with pack horses) and they now attribute their success rate to luck and going �EAST, so it�s not just skill; you have to have access to hunt where there is game.

The 2013 deadline for Montana Deer & Elk Permits is March 15. The applications are out and available. I remember Montana the way it WAS ...before a lot of you were born or became Montana hunters. A Montana most of you will never know.

Lots of truth there.

We have a cabin in & hunt 322 (SW) with access & visibility to over 50K acres with virtually no one else there & the last 3-4 years have been really tough.

We have horses, & 4 wheelers & can access & glass a LOT of terrain & my BIL is a GENUINE Mountain Man........when he can't find the game, it's just not there.

Having said that, there are a few good pockets here & there to be found.

At any rate, good luck.

MM

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jeez, sorry Stoneman. Been here all my life. Guess I been too busy killing elk to notice they are all gone. As far as deer, there's more mule deer in the Root now than there has been in years, and every year I see whitetails pushing ever further INTO high country. "Exterminated" is as cheap as hysteria in this instance. The deer and elk are not all gone. Isolated areas have been affected, to be sure. But no one likes to mention over hunting or pay attention to disease outbreaks we've had lately. It' just the wolves fault. To worry that one will not find game here in Montana solely because of wolves is ignorant. But, I did wack a wolf to help out our critters. mtmuley

Last edited by mtmuley; 02/17/13.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The last Elk report I read the Yellowstone Elk herd is down to 35% of what it was before the introduction of the Wolf.

Hal

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mtmuley

Not before all the game is gone.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bigbuck215
Originally Posted by mtmuley

Not before all the game is gone.

Yep. Hunt the Fisher River drainage now. I had an elk honey hole there for years. Now all I find is wolf sign. As the wolf sign increased, the deer and elk declined about proportionally.

Just my observations...

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Definitely apply as a group (3 -5) for a Combo Big Game. Draw is virtually 100% if you apply that way. Application deadline is March 15. I hunted in Montana in 2012 and our group all drew tags with no preference points.

Buy a wolf tag and help with the wolf problem.

Last edited by Ackleyman; 02/18/13.

.280 AI Fan

"I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts" Will Rogers

"A little knowledge is a dangerous thing" Unknown

Trump 2024!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
How many of you guys claiming wolves have killed all the game hunt them? Not just a tag in your pocket, really hunt them on purpose? It cracks me up when I see people state "Where I hunt, all I see is wolf sign." Really? No game just a bunch of wolves? Interesting. mtmuley

Last edited by mtmuley; 02/18/13.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Unfortunately i think a NON-Resident wolf tag is over $300 ....Resident is like $20 ......they should give them out for free with a combo Big Game...fwiw.... Thank you again

Last edited by mailmanmark; 02/19/13.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Montana NR wuff tag is now $50, with a limit of three.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good news Rancho....thanks, will have to get me a tag....

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (21, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 29 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,492,998
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.