Print Thread
Hop To
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
My Model 39A Golden was made in 1978. I like the heavier barrel, as this rifle is used for lever silhouette, but I've never cared for gaudy stuff like white line spacers, shiny finishes, and "gold" trim. So I decided to go for a classic look, something like a good walnut and blued steel rifle from earlier eras. I got rid of the white spacers and stripped the stock. Because of the contours, I had to make a new grip cap from scratch using black acrylic plastic. A lot of work. Also replaced the brass screw with steel, hard to find and fit. The whole grip cap replacement may have been the toughest part of the project. Fitted a Pachmayr butt pad. Stock was stained a Winchester red, and given a matte unfilled finish. Gold plate was sanded off the trigger, which was rust blued. The pics were taken in bright sunlight, but the stock normally looks darker and richer than it appears in the photos, more like the bottom pic.

All in all, I'm happy with the results.

Paul

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
nice job on the cap.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Looks good!!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Beautiful craftsmanship! The Marlin 39 is on my gun "bucket list".

"Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist."
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Awesome!

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B2

J
J
Nice look!

OP, I've got an older 39a that is missing the pistol grip cap. The newer ones don't seem to fit. What did you use ("black acrylic plastic")? Fashioning one from scratch, seems to be the route I'm going to take.

Jeff

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I couldn't for the life of me recall what kind of cap was on my 78 golden mounty when all of a sudden it dawned on me (insert best Homer Simpson "DOH" sound track here) that the mounty doesn't have the pistol grip. But if it did I would like the all black rout you took!

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Jeff, Welcome!

I just got a piece of black acrylic plastic sheet from the scrap pile at a local plastics shop, rough cut it to shape, put a hole in the approximate center for the screw, then filed and sanded until I got it where I wanted it. Like I said, just tedious.

An easier approach might be to order a cap for a later model Marlin 336, and see if it is enough oversized to make it fit. It'd save a lot of work. Brownell's should have them, and might even be able to provide some guidance.

You might also want to use some other screw while doing the shaping and sanding, so you don't mess up the original brass screw. The new ones are pricey, and don't seem to quite match the originals. They break easily too.

Paul

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Nice work. I wonder if I could create a butt plate much like yours for a Mini 14 (old style stock)rather than buying a new stock with the current butt plate?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Paul nice looking rifle, turned out better than new.

Tim

"I hate rude behaviour in a man .....I won't tolerate it." Capt. Woodrow F. Call (Tommy Lee Jones) The Movie "Lonesome Dove"

IC B3

J
J
Paul,

Thanks for the advice on the screw. What did you "protect" the stock with during the fitting .. I'm assuming you didn't refinish it. I've heard of folks wrapping painters tape around the end of the butt stock when fitting a butt plate, so I was going to carefully try that approach.

I'll double check the 336 pistol grip cap next time at the LGS. I had though it was the same size stock as the 39, but if it works..I'll take it.

For some reason, all the usual suspects (Bob's, Vintage Grips, GunGrips.com) don't carry pistol grip cap reproductions and the ones avialable from Numrich for the curren 39AS won't fit . Seems like I can't be the only guy this this problem!

And once again .. that is a super clean look you've created. Its classic!

Jeff

Originally Posted by Paul39
Jeff, Welcome!

I just got a piece of black acrylic plastic sheet from the scrap pile at a local plastics shop, rough cut it to shape, put a hole in the approximate center for the screw, then filed and sanded until I got it where I wanted it. Like I said, just tedious.

An easier approach might be to order a cap for a later model Marlin 336, and see if it is enough oversized to make it fit. It'd save a lot of work. Brownell's should have them, and might even be able to provide some guidance.

You might also want to use some other screw while doing the shaping and sanding, so you don't mess up the original brass screw. The new ones are pricey, and don't seem to quite match the originals. They break easily too.

Paul

P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
By coincidence, I just checked in here.

I completely stripped and sanded the stock, so that made fitting the cap and butt pad easier. The cap would be a real bear if you had to make it fit without sanding the wood around it.

About the screw, it's an odd size that you can't get at the hardware store. Typical of gun stuff. Makes it a PITA.

Paul

J
J
If you need a screw replacement in the future, the older 39a's had a blued screw. It was sometime in the 70's (probably coinciding with the glossy Mar-finish) that they went to the brass screw. I'm sure some upplier ... Numrish, VinrtageGrips, ChasJones ... has them.

To get your "smooth" finish on the pistol grip, did you finish with fine sandpaper (2000 grit) or did you need a commercial product for polishing plastic (3M rubbing compound, for example). I was planning on a gradual progression from file to sand paper, but am still not sure what is the best way to get a smooth/glossy finish.

Jeff

Originally Posted by Paul39
By coincidence, I just checked in here.

I completely stripped and sanded the stock, so that made fitting the cap and butt pad easier. The cap would be a real bear if you had to make it fit without sanding the wood around it.

About the screw, it's an odd size that you can't get at the hardware store. Typical of gun stuff. Makes it a PITA.

Paul

P
Paul39 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
I wish I had known about a source for the blued screws. Would have saved a lot of work.

I sanded to 2000, then buffed with Flitz on a small cloth wheel in a Dremel tool. It was just stuff I had on hand, but it worked fine.

Paul

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (160user, 219DW, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 46 invisible), 2,015 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,480
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.