Print Thread
Hop To
R
Ruddy Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Don't post much, but here goes. I'd like to plan a hunt like this for fall 2013 or 2014. Anybody have thoughts or exepriences with a really good place that could accomodate this. I've been to Sioux Narrows for fishing--excellent! Somewhere around here would be great. Thanks a lot for your help!

GB1

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
walt501 and others should be able to help you.
I know of no reason the hunting would not be good.
Check out all the regulations, and hunting camps along with the any other would be snags.
Good luck with it.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Lot's of outfits that could accomodate you in this regard. I would say this type of combination hunt would work well at the end of October. You will be able to hunt the end of bear season and hunt whitetails during the prerut and if you stay into Novemeber you will catch the start of the whitetail rut. Fishing is top notch at this time of year and the lakes are quiet. Bear season ends on Oct 31st. All deer season's will be open for modern firearm except unit 10 which will open on Nov 2nd in 2013 and Nov 1 2014. If you want some suggestions for outfitters shoot me a PM with what your expectations are, time frame and budget and I'll talk to a a few people I know.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Well where to begin. I should first start by saying my advice is worth exactly what you're paying for it - nothing. So with that in mind, here goes.

There are plenty of bears in NW Ontario, but the timing of the hunt can be critical. In my experience, most of the larger bears have gone into hibernation by the beginning of October. The reason for that is really quite simple, lack of food. A bear needs to store a huge amount of fat on its body in order to make it through hibernation. In the month of August alone, the average bear will increase its weight by 30%. Once you get into September, food supplies start to dwindle very fast. By October, there is simply nothing left for a bear to eat. A bear that doesn't hibernate will start losing weight, something they just can't let happen. The only bears I see in October are small bears that are hanging around the dump looking for food. I've never seen a bear out in the woods in October - not a one - and I spend probably five days per week on my ATV riding the logging roads an average of 25 miles per day looking for grouse during October. And yet every year the camps on my chain of lakes book bear hunters in October. I also don't think the camps do a very good job of hunting bears. They throw out some oats and grease in the same old spots year after year. They don't bother with any of the techniques that are available to the better bear hunters to determine if a bear is even in the area. I also don't like the oats and grease they use for bait, not because it doesn't work but because there are much better options.

I believe the bear hunt opens in NW Ontario in mid-August. Locals start maintaining bait stations the beginning of August and these are the people that get their bear. The down side is that it's hot and buggy work to maintain a bait station at the beginning of August, which is why I believe the camps don't bother with it until the weather cools off at the beginning of September.

If you want a sure fire way to bag a bear, watch the rainfall. In years with very dry summers the berry crop will fail to produce. If that happens, the bears are forced to look for other sources of food. Keep in mind that survival depends on them adding that 30% to their body weight in just one month I mentioned earlier. Everyone gets a bear during a drought.

If you do get a bear, you'll need to have prior arrangements to take it somewhere no matter the time of day to get it cooled down. A good camp operator should have that covered for you.

As for the fishing part, that's really no problem where ever you go in NW Ontario. Ever since walleye limits were lowered in border country for non-residents from 6 fish to 2 (4 for residents) fish stocks have exploded. I actually don't mind that my limit is half that for residents, as I take great joy in telling my Canadian friends that the rules make sense since it's a well know fact that any Yank can out fish a Canadian 2 to 1. smile

Hope some of this helps and good luck with your hunt!

Last edited by walt501; 02/18/13.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
As to the fishing, last October, it was quite chilly. being on a lake would have taken a dedicated angler indeed.

With weather, however, it can do whatever it, likes when it likes.
Take longhandles, and best wishes.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Yes, you would need very warm clothes to fish in October on most days, never mind November when you have to deal with ice sometimes. Bear are huntable through into October but walt is absolutely right about the decline in activity in October. So in reality, choosing the bear hunt with fishing in late august into September or a deer hunt in early november would be your two best options. If you bow hunt deer could be an option in the early season. Archery deer opens Sept 1st across much of the NW.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I would never bother going in mid October. Here in Wisconsin they are very scarce by then on the trail cams even with corn on the ground. Go the first of Sept. The bucks have been hit with frost , the bear know there ain't much time left and the fishing is still good.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (219 Wasp, 1minute, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1_deuce, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,027
Posts18,500,540
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.