Print Thread
Hop To
B
baxterb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I have for sale a New Haven Model 70 375 H&H that I had Mark Stratton put his double square bridge style bases on. Rifle is in very good condition, with a few marks here and there; some near the load port, a few on the stock. It is as-is from the factory (save the bases) and will need a trip to your smith for typical bedding and a trigger job as most do. It has a first-round retention issue that he could square up at the same time, probably a follower or spring, but I'm no gunsmith. Shoots Federal 300 TSX's at about 1 1/4".

I'll ship and insure it for $1075.00.

a few pics:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by baxterb; 02/20/13. Reason: Clarity in regards to retention
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
First Round Retention issue???

B
baxterb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Yes, sometimes when there is one round left and the bolt is cycled the round will come free of the rail. Rounds 2 and 3 are fine. Spring/Follower tension likely. But as I say I'm no gunsmith.

Last edited by baxterb; 02/19/13.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm still not sure I follow. If I am understanding the situation, the bolt is retracted with a single round in the magazine. When the bolt is retracted rearward enough to no longer be over top of that round, it comes free of the magazine and lays loose in the receiver on top of the follower?

I've seen that kinda thing with an M1917, and the follower spring was installed backwards to cause it.

I'm interested in the rifle, and I have bedded and worked triggers on M70's, but I want to be clear on this magazine issue before getting any more interested in this rifle.

B
baxterb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
You've pretty much nailed it. If you add a second round (that will be under left rail) and close the bolt over the round then yank the bolt open, no problem, add a third round (under right rail, now over top of the first round) close the bolt over it and then yank it back, no problem. It's only the first round, which is why I mention the follower, spring etc. Seems like there might not be enough side/upward pressure on the one round, but as the pressure increases by adding rounds everything from then on is fine.

Thanks.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Gotcha. Not sure about that one....

How frequently does it occur? Has it always done that?

B
baxterb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Now that I've been messing with it again since posting it, it happens damn near every time you snap the bolt back, didn't remember that but it's been a bit. I'll edit OP to reflect this.

I bought the gun new in 2005 so even though I never noticed it when I shot it on the range, it must have done it since then. It's sat in the safe most of its life. There have been no mods to the rifle since owning it other than the bases, it's as from the factory.

Last edited by baxterb; 02/20/13.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm gonna guess the follower spring is in wrong....or not seated properly.

Still...not sure about purchasing with that going on....nice lookin' rifle, and the issue can surely be fixed. I have no doubt about that. Just not really wanting to take on a "project" right now.

B
baxterb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
No worries.

Today I took the follower out of my 06 and spent about an hour fitting it to the H&H mag box. The 06 follower is a tad bit narrower in the very back than the mag box. Anyway, after filing and fitting it as best I could I tried to replicate the retention issue, wasn't there. First round stayed in just fine, fed fine. The 06 follower is a tad shorter so it's not a perfect fix but I think it gets closer to where the issue is, which again I think is how the follower pressures the first round under the feed rails and this caused by the shape of the follower.

Wanted to add one thing on the bases in regards to a PM I received. They are made specifically for this rifle and will not transfer to another rifle, they even have part of the serial number engraved underneath. The way he does it is to grind the underside profile, mount them and then while they are on the action he mills them to accept the Talley rings, that way they are in perfect alignment with each other and the rifle itself. I had him make another set for my 06 as well and they add a nice touch to them both.

Thanks again for looking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's $200'ish in those bases if I remember correctly......

IC B3

B
baxterb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
You are pretty close 16Bore...but that was years ago...

Will also consider trades of Winchester SS rifles, 3006 300WM...

Thanks!

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Gratuitous bump for Baxter and his 375. Nice rifle and an outstanding guy well known to everyone over on AR. You can take his word as the gospel

B
baxterb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
**UPDATE**

Have fitted a new, correct, magnum length follower and rifle retains as it should.

Will now also include a set of RCBS dies along with a Lee Factory Crimp die, the 375 collet for an RCBS collet puller AND a set of Talley Medium QD rings with the rifle. The rings are the same as provided by Dakota rifles and are a bit shorter front to back than standard Talleys. The bases were made for these rings.

Thanks

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bump for a great guy to deal with! Buy with confidence!!!

-John

B
baxterb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Forgot to adjust price.

$1000.00 shipped

Thanks.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a couple winchester's in 30-06......what kind of trades did you have in mind?

Also, can you use the metallic sights with those bases installed? If the QR rings are pulled off, could it be used without optics without removing those bases?

B
baxterb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Looking for a SS M70, with a 24 inch barrel. Classic, Ultimate Shadow SS something like that.

The bases do not obstruct the iron sights. They are about as tall as the standard Talley bases.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

258 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 40 invisible), 16,693 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,878
Posts18,538,092
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
5 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.