Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Anybody know anything about this outfitter? A buddy is going with him in '14 and has an opening and wondered if I wanted to slip in. It's a Togiak Refuge hunt. I'm just trying to get some more info. Thanks

Lee

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't forget to call some of his references. The more the better. Good luck with your decision.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
There was a member here who went on a brown bear hunt last year on Togiak lake and got a bear. I'm not sure who he used for a guide.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a good area with lots of bears,,JJ has been doing it a long time,I'm sure he has a handle on it!

I tend to use more than enough gun
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have known Justin a long time and he does a good job and knows the area very well.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B2

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks guys, I was hoping to get some info from guys who might actually know him. I'll call some references for sure. Looking around, it seems like the Togiak can produce some pretty big bears.

Phil, glad to know that you know him and think he does a good job.

Anybody else?

Thanks a bunch

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do not know him at all, but Togiak is my backyard. Lots of bears with the possibility of a very nice bear--probably not a B&C bear, but 9+ is very possible. Spring or fall of 2014?

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sept 2014. I don't need a B&C bear just a nice representative. I am really excited about the possibility. I think it should be quite the adventure.

Lee

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A friend of mine and I hunted caribou with Justin about 10 years ago. He is an honest, hard working guide. We hunted Wood Tic-Chic (sp) out of his camp there. I wish I could hunt brown bear with him. I would, without hessitation.

Rolly
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ebby
Sept 2014. I don't need a B&C bear just a nice representative. I am really excited about the possibility. I think it should be quite the adventure.

Lee
During the fall you should see lots of bears and get as close to them as you like. It's a beautiful time to be in the bush--cool enough to thin out the bugs, colors are popping everywhere and the days are long enough with enough dark to get some sleep. I try to spend at least a couple weeks in the Wood River Lakes every fall hunting bears--always good times.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well you have the best in the game giving you his thumbs up here....I would book on that alone.

Originally Posted by 458Win
I have known Justin a long time and he does a good job and knows the area very well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Does any one have a link on how to get the age our your bear.I shot a brownies last year and wanted to see how old it was.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by elim
Does any one have a link on how to get the age our your bear.I shot a brownies last year and wanted to see how old it was.
I normally call my local AKF&G biologist with the seal number, though it sometimes takes as long as a year for him to get the results. I'm unaware of it being available online.

Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Elim, I was thinking the same thing! If Phil thinks he's ok then he's probably a pretty good dude.

Lee

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ebby
If Phil thinks he's ok then he's probably a pretty good dude.

Lee, you'll die an old man before getting a more qualified thumbs-up. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They send them out of state to be aged, but one I know taken in October, 2011, has already been aged and information disseminated.

It's not the destination...
Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Scott, you are exactly right. There are some people that when they talk, you listen. I'm not dumb. Should be an awesome trip. Now I just got starting counting pennies.

Maybe I should get 24hrcampfire to sponsor me. That would be great! I'll do everybody right, I promise.

Lee

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
If you don't mind me asking how much is he charging and how long of a hunt is it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
just saw this, know Justin pretty well as I worked for him for around a decade.

that dog can hunt

he's taken some hogs and then also some very decent bears out of the Togiak Refuge.

super nice guy, very soft spoken, excellent outdoorsman, if you had to get across some rugged wild country with very little in the way of supplies or gear, he'd be on the short list.

I would guess by now his son Connor is probably guiding for him.

Togiak is a good place to hunt for big bears, kinda one of those well kept secrets up here for some reason. Kodiak and the Penninsula offer some good hunting for big bears for certain, but so does Togiak.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Ebby Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
msuhunter, the hunt is 10 days and he is charges $15,500 I think. Slightly cheaper than the Pennisula and Kodiak hunts but supposedly just as quality an experience and Bears almost as good. Deposits have to be made in a few installments before the hunt. His website is www.huntbearmoosecaribou.com

2legit, thanks for the recommendation. He seems like a great guy and I haven't heard from anybody that didn't like him. Sounds like they have pretty good success and bears are 8.5-10ft range. I'll be tickled to death with something like that.

Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

431 members (1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 35 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,983
Posts18,499,699
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.