Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
[quote=12344mag]Good man Roundoak!

Maybe take him and his kids under your wing and soon enough you will find out if the story is true or not....If true you just might have found a friend that will have your back anytime.

Thats worth a couple of truck loads of wood anyday. [/quote Absolutely, my thoughts exactly.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I live on an Indian Reserve---there ain't no such a thing as stealing firewood this time of year.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by roundoak
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Also, what is the dollar value of the wood he took? Any way to confirm his story?

Value? Depends on how much of a load he put on his F-150 with standard 8' box. I always figure a 8' box stacked up right at the top of the box sides is 5/8 of a cord. Oak, hickory or elm would be worth about 75-$80 if picked up. Delivery is more.

My wife is networking to check his story out.

Please keep us updated if his story is true.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Good man, Round Oak.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
yes, if his story is true i am sure we'd come up with some cash and clothes and such to help. anyone who served, i already owe anyway.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsonora
Also, what is the dollar value of the wood he took? Any way to confirm his story?

Value? Depends on how much of a load he put on his F-150 with standard 8' box. I always figure a 8' box stacked up right at the top of the box sides is 5/8 of a cord. Oak, hickory or elm would be worth about 75-$80 if picked up. Delivery is more.

My wife is networking to check his story out.

If it checks out please let me know. Let him "work it off" but I'll send you a check for you to give him to cover both loads

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
yup. and i will buy a gift card for walmart or wherever's close to cover food and clothes for the kids.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mark shubert
At least he wants to make it right - would have been better to ask FIRST, though!

Mark

He was afraid you would say no and he must have needed it bad . At least he was honest and made it right

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i had it happen with a gas can i left on my porch. guy came over and apologized and said he needed it to finish his yard. probably a gallon of gas or so. i started to get mad and then i saw my yard was cut. he said he thought the least he could do was cut my yard. i told him he could steal all the damn gas he wanted from me if he was cutting my yard too lol

Last edited by mjbgalt; 02/20/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Whew.... I've been mulling this one over for a bit. Tough call. I figure you're 50/50 on either getting ripped a new one or making a difference in a young man's life. I believe you've handled yourself & the situation very well to this point while still covering your bases. I honestly hope that I would handle it as well. Good on you sir & I hope all works out well for both of you.

beati pacifici quoniam filii Dei vocabuntur Matthew 5:9
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
He gave an explanation to what motivated him to steal the firewood. If it is true, I could see why he was desperate. His young wife died in a car accident just three weeks after he got out of the army, leaving him with two kids under the age of five. Couldn't find a job, medical bills took all their savings, forced air furnace broke down and could not afford a replacement, but someone gave him an old wood stove. He needed firewood immediately, but no money to buy any.

This guy was in a streak of bad luck. My wife wanted to adopt the whole bunch.

For me what saved his arse was he addressed me as "Sir" and my wife "Maam." Was X military and had a Bush/Cheney bumper sticker on his old pickup.

I am not going take his dignity... I am putting him to work tomorrow and let him decide what his time is worth to work off two pickup loads of firewood.

Sounds like a fellow that would do well in a rural community...given a few breaks and a bit of unobtrussive networking.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This story sounds like a load of crap, not firewood.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
roundoak - please follow-up on this if you will - advise how the whole thing comes out.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Play it slow and find out for sure. I'm not buying this.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My take.

#1. He shouldn't have taken the wood without asking.
#2. He did, for what ever reasons, take it without asking but left a note stating his intent to pay. Why he was taking it at night remains to be seen. Perhaps it was the only time he wasn't looking for work.
#3. He returned, as per his promise, to work off the debt.
#4. while this method certainly isn't the preferred method of obtaining cut and stacked firewood, he's a 1 in a million who would actually do this.

Here's what I would do (and I don't allow anyone to traipse around on our place). If his story checks out, which it likely will, I'd tell him that he needed to cut, split and stack 4 times the amount he took. When He finished I'd tell him to load 1/4 of what he just stacked in his truck and that when he needed wood all he needed to do was show up and cut, split and stack 3 times as much as he needed and take the 1/3. That way he has an honorable way to get wood and you get work done.

This fella will get back on his feet some day and He's gong to make a good acquaintance and possibly a good friend. He does need to know though, that what he can obtain for the asking, he will be prosecuted for as well if he doesn't. I have a feeling, if your description is accurate, that he knows better. Perhaps he had reasons that seemed good to him at the time. Desperation does strange things to men.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well Roundoak I think you handled it just right, don't believe he would of come back just to bullshit you and not show up for the work he promised. Yup would have been better if he asked first for a work for wood trade etc. Desperate times and they will get worse. Best a luck on the morrow. Magnum man

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I think you handled it well Roundoak.

Possibly the kids were asleep or he had managed to get child care for a while.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I believe you handled it just like I would have guessed you would. Let him work what he think he owes you. You might even babysit his kids while he works.

Then let us know what he needs. I am anything but wealthy but my kids are raised and I have yet to miss a meal. I would gladly give what I can to a Vet in need and an honest man.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds legit to me. Why would a chitbag leave a note AND come back to work as promised? Sounds like an honorable man in a big pinch!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
yup. and i will buy a gift card for walmart or wherever's close to cover food and clothes for the kids.

Count me in too!

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 1234, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 17Hunter, 163bc, 74 invisible), 2,062 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,829
Posts18,496,617
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.